5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that want to add the factory trailer brake controller...

mjw930

Reaction score
For those who have done the installation yourselves, is there any secret handshake for removing the center stack cover to install the switch? I took a quick look, removed the 2 screws indicated in the instructions but the cover is pretty well locked in place and don't want to start yanking until I read what others have done.

Thanks.

mjw930

Reaction score
I've already installed the sliding switch in the dash, just gotta buy the module and have it programmed now.
How did you pry for dash panel off? I expected the top to get loose when I removed the 2 screws but it didn’t. I imagine it’s just getting the top clips to release then the rest should pop as you pivot the panel back. I have plastic panel tools just didn’t want to tear into it without some knowledge of what to expect.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
How did you pry for dash panel off? I expected the top to get loose when I removed the 2 screws but it didn’t. I imagine it’s just getting the top clips to release then the rest should pop as you pivot the panel back. I have plastic panel tools just didn’t want to tear into it without some knowledge of what to expect.
Remove the two screws on the top of the center stack, then it's held on with about 15 plastic clips. I started from the bottom and worked my way up the sides, it feels violent but I've done it twice now and haven't broken anything.

mjw930

Reaction score
Remove the two screws on the top of the center stack, then it's held on with about 15 plastic clips. I started from the bottom and worked my way up the sides, it feels violent but I've done it twice now and haven't broken anything.
I decided to take another stab at it and using a panel pry bar I was able to slide it in from the top and pop the top clips then the rest came off easily.

Overall it was easier then on my 2014. On the older models one of the screws that holds the box on under the dash was unreachable. On the 2019 it was a piece of cake.

Everything is installed so I just need to get it to a dealer and get it programmed. Thanks

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Just had the dealer install the parts (ordered separately). Charged me $170 installed and programmed. Works great! I will update the title to reflect its worth the savings.
So what was your total cost. After u bought the parts, and after dealer did their thing?

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Just placed my order through WholesaleMopar.com. It came to $126.55 shipped. I checked a few other sites and this was the cheapest shipping quote ($13.78) to get the parts to me in Iowa. Will get everything installed as soon as I receive it. I have to take the truck in for a few issues anyway so I will just have them program it when I do that.

mjw930

Reaction score
From OEMPartsDirect.com

Subtotal: $110.61
Shipping (USPS - Priority Mail): $14.52
Total: $125.13

staffcurtis

Reaction score
I would love to have it - can I PayPal you for it? Feel free to send a message with your info, thanks!

I would have given it to you free, but they must have kept it at the dealership. I would assume anyone getting theirs upgraded would send it to you.

RichInMN

Reaction score
I would have given it to you free, but they must have kept it at the dealership. I would assume anyone getting theirs upgraded would send it to you.
I have one on the way from this thread, I would love one more in case I botch drilling that one, or want to add a second switch for some reason. Thanks!

TrackDay

Reaction score
Just ordered the parts through Steve White Parts (dealer in NC) for $123 shipped. You can use discount code cha1 to save a few bucks.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
For you guys that have just recently ordered, have you been told the items are in stock and ready to ship? I've tried two different places now and been told parts are on backorder.

Factory Mopar Direct and Wholesale Mopar.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Just ordered the parts through Steve White Parts (dealer in NC) for $123 shipped. You can use discount code cha1 to save a few bucks.

I just contacted them and this is their response:

I have the parts available as follows:

68277136af trailer tow module - avail. 2-5 days
68309259ab switch instrument panel - backordered, no ETA
68346572ab mopar bracket - avail 2-4 days
6510468aa x3 nuts - avail. 2-4 day
6101946 x3 screw - avail. 1 day

Thank you for shopping with Steve White Motors.
Josh

It seems pretty standard that the actual control switch is on a national backorder. That sucks because I was hoping to get this installed soon so I can start utilizing my car trailer.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Just received my full set of parts from MoparSuperstore for $121.21 shipped. The module mounting bracket looks like it came out of their salt water spray testing jig, but for less than half of the cost of the "kit", I can break out the Rustoleum and not look back.

This forum is awesome about publishing DIY upgrades like this, but I suspect that we then turn around and suck the limited number of parts out of the Mopar system pretty quickly.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
FYI, I just confirmed with Mopar Wholesale Parts that they have everything. I ordered through them for $120.42 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread