5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed both cams. It took me about an hour. I spent most of that time routing the rear camera cable, making sure it was out of sight and wouldn't create a rattle. Getting the cam to stay connected to the app has been a PITA. I'll have to look through the instructions again, but the Android Auto connection keeps reconnecting and disconnecting the camera. I just need to figure that out, stick the rear cam to the back window and then get the rear cam aimed correctly.
The connection is a bit of a problem (same for mine, on an iPhone). To be honest, it's such a pain that I just pull the card when I want a copy of something.

Curious how you routed your rear wires. I'm not happy with mine. Despite tucking it in everywhere, I swear I hear rattling back there now. I ran it around the right side along the headliner, going down the B pillar and back up, then along the rear headliner and back to the final location. There's just WAY too much wire. I think mine is rattling along the rear, as it's not really tight enough to tuck in firmly. This weekend, I might mess with it - I'm considering adding some small-diameter foam backer rod to make things tighten up. But first I have to install the new air intake.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The connection is a bit of a problem (same for mine, on an iPhone). To be honest, it's such a pain that I just pull the card when I want a copy of something.

Curious how you routed your rear wires. I'm not happy with mine. Despite tucking it in everywhere, I swear I hear rattling back there now. I ran it around the right side along the headliner, going down the B pillar and back up, then along the rear headliner and back to the final location. There's just WAY too much wire. I think mine is rattling along the rear, as it's not really tight enough to tuck in firmly. This weekend, I might mess with it - I'm considering adding some small-diameter foam backer rod to make things tighten up. But first I have to install the new air intake.
Maybe use some loom tape in a few spots?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed both cams. It took me about an hour. I spent most of that time routing the rear camera cable, making sure it was out of sight and wouldn't create a rattle. Getting the cam to stay connected to the app has been a PITA. I'll have to look through the instructions again, but the Android Auto connection keeps reconnecting and disconnecting the camera. I just need to figure that out, stick the rear cam to the back window and then get the rear cam aimed correctly.
You can't use android auto and the camera app at the same time.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I routed the cable along the right side headliner also, but not up and down the B pillar. When I was routing the cable to the front of the rear door, I doubled it back to the rear of the door, then back to the front. I bound that loop together with 5 zip ties, then stuffed it above the headliner. When the cable reached the mirror, I had about 1.5' of excess cable. I looped that up and zip tied it to the bezel that holds the mirror to the windshield. If I get any rattles, I'll do what Darksteel suggested and wrap it with cloth loom tape.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I found that if you push cable up into head liner near A pillar you will have a lot less to store into the A pillar cavity. I did not try to store any excess cable in other places. I made it fairly tight from rear camera location to A pillar.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to use Andriod Auto, it was automatically connecting. I'll need to disable AA so I can set up the rear camera.
I get that, but with the newer trucks having wireless android auto, it messes with the camera connection

zezrum

Reaction score
Wanted to add to this thread another positive experience with Fitcamx dash cam. I have a new 2024 1500 Limited with all the tech goodies. I ordered the front camera only (I’m too lazy for now to run the rear camera) on Amazon and received it quickly a few days later.

The seller did contact me asking for a photo of my existing rear view mirror to confirm I ordered the proper unit (B) which I did. I appreciated the quick validation and was happy it didn’t hold up shipping at all.

Installation was as easy as everyone made it sound. I used the tool to gently wedge the existing housing open a little and then was able to pop it off with my fingers. The second smaller piece was a little more difficult but I looked at the replacement part that they provided to understand how it connects and was then able to easily pop it out using the tool to wedge it along the side.

Connecting the Y power adapter was simple. I was gentle in removing the power clip so I wouldn’t pull any wires out. Connecting the new housing round power connection to the one on the Y cable was less satisfying as it didn’t click into place and left me worrying that it was connected properly. But that worry was misplaced because it all worked fine.

Once everything was secured into place I started up the truck and the rearview camera mirror worked just fine. I then turned off the Bluetooth on my iPhone to disconnect from CarPlay and was able to connect to the cameras WiFi. I first reset the password and configured the camera settings for full quality, then took a test drive.

Quality is great, no complaints. I replaced the 64gb card it came with with a 256gb card and formatted it using the app. It sees all 256gb. Testing at nighttime it is also good quality.

Something I read either in this thread or on Amazon reviews was that the camera doesn’t keep time, but that isn’t correct according to my experience. The camera must have an internal clock because it keeps time and date properly each time I restart the truck despite not being connected to my phone (I don’t imagine ever using their app except to change settings since it’s easier to just pop the sd card out and put it in my laptop).

Also no problems with the electronic rear view mirror camera. Everything is working as expected.

Thanks for all the advice, I’m happy to have a forward facing dash cam that looks completely OEM and has such good quality.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wanted to add to this thread another positive experience with Fitcamx dash cam. I have a new 2024 1500 Limited with all the tech goodies. I ordered the front camera only (I’m too lazy for now to run the rear camera) on Amazon and received it quickly a few days later.

The seller did contact me asking for a photo of my existing rear view mirror to confirm I ordered the proper unit (B) which I did. I appreciated the quick validation and was happy it didn’t hold up shipping at all.

Installation was as easy as everyone made it sound. I used the tool to gently wedge the existing housing open a little and then was able to pop it off with my fingers. The second smaller piece was a little more difficult but I looked at the replacement part that they provided to understand how it connects and was then able to easily pop it out using the tool to wedge it along the side.

Connecting the Y power adapter was simple. I was gentle in removing the power clip so I wouldn’t pull any wires out. Connecting the new housing round power connection to the one on the Y cable was less satisfying as it didn’t click into place and left me worrying that it was connected properly. But that worry was misplaced because it all worked fine.

Once everything was secured into place I started up the truck and the rearview camera mirror worked just fine. I then turned off the Bluetooth on my iPhone to disconnect from CarPlay and was able to connect to the cameras WiFi. I first reset the password and configured the camera settings for full quality, then took a test drive.

Quality is great, no complaints. I replaced the 64gb card it came with with a 256gb card and formatted it using the app. It sees all 256gb. Testing at nighttime it is also good quality.

Something I read either in this thread or on Amazon reviews was that the camera doesn’t keep time, but that isn’t correct according to my experience. The camera must have an internal clock because it keeps time and date properly each time I restart the truck despite not being connected to my phone (I don’t imagine ever using their app except to change settings since it’s easier to just pop the sd card out and put it in my laptop).

Also no problems with the electronic rear view mirror camera. Everything is working as expected.

Thanks for all the advice, I’m happy to have a forward facing dash cam that looks completely OEM and has such good quality.
The app will be useful should you ever actually get into an accident and need to use the footage for evidence to show the responding officers if there is question as to who was at fault

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
how often is everyone changing or reformatting the micro usb card?
Never. Why would that be a thing to do?
Everything I have read, it's recommended to do once a month. Obviously this will vary based on how much you drive.

As for why, solid state memory cards aren't really designed for constant overwriting. Files will start to corrupt and the card will degrade. Routine formatting kind of "resets" the memory. And you need to pull the card and format on a computer, not just use the camera format option

That being said, I don't take mine out very often to do that. Maybe twice a year.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Everything I have read, it's recommended to do once a month. Obviously this will vary based on how much you drive.

As for why, solid state memory cards aren't really designed for constant overwriting. Files will start to corrupt and the card will degrade. Routine formatting kind of "resets" the memory. And you need to pull the card and format on a computer, not just use the camera format option

That being said, I don't take mine out very often to do that. Maybe twice a year.
This.
But they can and will still die.
If the card dies and the system thinks it's writing to it you will never know it failed until you get into an accident and poof, no footage.
The best you could do is a raid 1 flash storage, but I believe you can only get those in USB size devices. Since the fitcam only takes micro SDHC there's no way I know of to get a device that is more redundant or safe without constantly checking it.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

FitCamX recommends every 2-3 months.

Screenshot_20240107_114105_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fwiw I have a 256gb card for mine. It wasn't even full after a month of just driving on weekends.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
how often is everyone changing or reformatting the micro usb card?
I reformat (mostly) everytime I fill up. Overkill I know, but it is a habit I developed after I discover my cam not overwriting.
I do it through the app.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I reformat (mostly) everytime I fill up. Overkill I know, but it is a habit I developed after I discover my cam not overwriting.
I do it through the app.
If you don't take it out and use a computer it won't fully format it.

Users who are viewing this thread