5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
no, I quoted what i wanted answered.

so without the card it does not save the footage?
Sorry thought it was a troll question.

The SD card is where the video is saved. Without the SD card is is still a camera, but the footage does not go anywhere. It sounds like it might come with an SD card because I saw the branded one but yes you need some kind of storage (in this case an SD card) to write to.

The cameras operating system is installed to it's own internal storage like any other unit on the market I can think of so it will run without an SD card but not to the desired effect. You need to provide the extra target to actually record to.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
New FitcamX dashcam came, probably install it later this week

6of36

Reaction score
New FitcamX dashcam came, probably install it later this week
It only takes a few minutes. The hardest part, is getting the small panel to come apart, on the original cover.Once you get those apart, less than 2 minutes. Unplug factory connector, plug new wires between, snap in place. Don't forget to take blue plastic protection off of lens, it makes it take 4 times as long, don't ask me how I know.

BowDown

Reaction score
It only takes a few minutes. The hardest part, is getting the small panel to come apart, on the original cover.Once you get those apart, less than 2 minutes. Unplug factory connector, plug new wires between, snap in place. Don't forget to take blue plastic protection off of lens, it makes it take 4 times as long, don't ask me how I know.

Yeah, I did it in August, I had other projects to finish today and didn't want to mess with it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
unless you also have the rear cam. :)

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm going to install my FitCamX front and rear cameras in the next couple of days. Thanks to @Waterfowler41 for the great install video. I'll probably tuck the excess cable behind the A pillar too, but it might fit behind the bigger "B" mirror housing. @Waterfowler41, where on the right side of the rear window did you attach the rear camera? It seems like it would be much cleaner if it was attached to the upper right corner, but I'm not sure how the video would look.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to install my FitCamX front and rear cameras in the next couple of days. Thanks to @Waterfowler41 for the great install video. I'll probably tuck the excess cable behind the A pillar too, but it might fit behind the bigger "B" mirror housing. @Waterfowler41, where on the right side of the rear window did you attach the rear camera? It seems like it would be much cleaner if it was attached to the upper right corner, but I'm not sure how the video would look.
their video is who i used
look at the 6:43 mark on the second video, they show where they put the rear cam. i put mine a few inches right of where they did.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for tagging me!

The rear camera is mounted behind the rear passenger seat headrest. The camera has a good lens coverage so it doesn’t need to be right in the center of the window.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
their video is who i used
look at the 6:43 mark on the second video, they show where they put the rear cam. i put mine a few inches right of where they did.

Thanks for watching my videos. FYI, I’m just one person running the channel hence the less than perfect video production. No need for the their or they’s. Just a dude flying solo in my garage fumbling through how to videos.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably worth noting that the location I used was most advantageous for the camera's field of vision (not that there's a big difference if it's lower and further right). But my location would show up in your rearview mirror if you have a regular mirror. I have the digital rearview mirror, so it doesn't affect my line of sight.
The location @Waterfowler41 uses would be ideal for a regular mirror.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I
It's probably worth noting that the location I used was most advantageous for the camera's field of vision (not that there's a big difference if it's lower and further right). But my location would show up in your rearview mirror if you have a regular mirror. I have the digital rearview mirror, so it doesn't affect my line of sight.
The location @Waterfowler41 uses would be ideal for a regular mirror.
It's barely noticeable in the mirror and does not interfer with seeing out the window

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I installed both cams. It took me about an hour. I spent most of that time routing the rear camera cable, making sure it was out of sight and wouldn't create a rattle. Getting the cam to stay connected to the app has been a PITA. I'll have to look through the instructions again, but the Android Auto connection keeps reconnecting and disconnecting the camera. I just need to figure that out, stick the rear cam to the back window and then get the rear cam aimed correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread