5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got the FitCam X installed, wasn't bad but beware, if you ordered the Kia/Volvo hardwire cable and they confirmed the vehicle, they changed the cable to the Ram cable that doesn't work. I didn't find out until I had my A-pillar out and the wire ran to the fuse box so double check them.

View attachment 164250

View attachment 164251

Camera fit is great and looks factory, you can barely see it from the outside and if you weren't looking, you wouldn't know it was there.

View attachment 164252

Now, the bad news. The camera works with the 512Gb SSD however the camera cannot see past 256Gb. I'm going to format the card on my computer later and see if that makes a difference.

Test Video. Sound did record but I'm turning that off, no need for that extra data

Not sure I'm satisfied with the video quality
I also recommend doing 1 minute loop recording. If/when you need to download the videos to your phone, you will thank me.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sun may be some of that, I'm going to play with the exposure setting.
I dont have the hardwire cable installed, I emailed them and asked them to send me the cable I ordered, not the one they think I need.🤬
i just finished up on installing that today.i did like you did.i ordered the cable i ordered not them.i just cut off those fuses .i left enough so maybe i may use it for something else ..maybe. but you really dont need it.its for if you HAVE and empty slot there,by all mean use it.i didnt so i just "HardWire"my.."be forewarn"..this wiring is a little shocking to seeo_O(no pun")

Attachments

• 20230731_144248.jpg
    20230731_144248.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230731_145532.jpg
    20230731_145532.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 58

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Audio is good to have for accidents.
I do agree it may be useful in that case but I don't need it recording conversations. I also record 3 minutes loops and the few I actually downloaded only took a few minutes each

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Got the FitCam X installed, wasn't bad but beware, if you ordered the Kia/Volvo hardwire cable and they confirmed the vehicle, they changed the cable to the Ram cable that doesn't work. I didn't find out until I had my A-pillar out and the wire ran to the fuse box so double check them.

View attachment 164250

View attachment 164251

Camera fit is great and looks factory, you can barely see it from the outside and if you weren't looking, you wouldn't know it was there.

View attachment 164252

Now, the bad news. The camera works with the 512Gb SSD however the camera cannot see past 256Gb. I'm going to format the card on my computer later and see if that makes a difference.

Test Video. Sound did record but I'm turning that off, no need for that extra data

Not sure I'm satisfied with the video quality
The video doesn't look bad. Also need to remember, quality has the tendency to to get a little worse when downloaded.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do agree it may be useful in that case but I don't need it recording conversations. I also record 3 minutes loops and the few I actually downloaded only took a few minutes each

Exactly why I'm turning it off. Agree with the download part, a 3 min segment is about 220MB, it took less than a min to get it and if I was really in a hurry, I'd just take the card out and copy the file with a computer

BowDown

Reaction score
The video doesn't look bad. Also need to remember, quality has the tendency to to get a little worse when downloaded.

It shouldn't though, it seems that this camera is doing 4K through software compression and not true 4K.
This is from my 4K FitFort gopro knockoff thats 6 years old, the video is fat better and youtube has it at regular HD, not 4K

I do believe lighting is impacting the Fitcam though so I experiment with the exposure.
I guess it'll do for a dashcam but I was hoping for a little better quality

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly why I'm turning it off. Agree with the download part, a 3 min segment is about 220MB, it took less than a min to get it and if I was really in a hurry, I'd just take the card out and copy the file with a computer
You can remove the audio through video editing programs if you want to use it for official purposes. My thoughts process, as I mentioned before, is the audio can be beneficial in supporting your side of the story. Especially if it records tire screeching, turn signal clicking, your own reaction to what's happening. But if the audio contradicts your story, then you can remove it through software after the fact. Although that would be deceiving.

BowDown

Reaction score
You can remove the audio through video editing programs if you want to use it for official purposes. My thoughts process, as I mentioned before, is the audio can be beneficial in supporting your side of the story. Especially if it records tire screeching, turn signal clicking, your own reaction to what's happening. But if the audio contradicts your story, then you can remove it through software after the fact. Although that would be deceiving.

Yeah, I may need to find some video editing software

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It shouldn't though, it seems that this camera is doing 4K through software compression and not true 4K.
This is from my 4K FitFort gopro knockoff thats 6 years old, the video is fat better and youtube has it at regular HD, not 4K

I do believe lighting is impacting the Fitcam though so I experiment with the exposure.
I guess it'll do for a dashcam but I was hoping for a little better quality
Yeah I'm not a video expert by any means but considering the actual amount of times I'll be looking at or sharing the video I'm ok with the resolution. If it was something that was getting reviewed on a consistent basis then I'd probably want something better. For it being a relatively inexpensive cam that almost looks like its factory installed I'm ok with it

Davidbt

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to be doing a three week trip to Mississippi and then back through New Mexico. I was planning on buying a dashcam and found this post. I've been thinking of buying a dashcam for awhile and was trying to decide if I needed a rear facing cam to? On the trip to Mississippi, I will be pulling a travel trailer. We live in a small town in South East Arizona and might go to Tucson every couple of months. Will a front facing cam suffice since I only drive my truck once a week normally?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to be doing a three week trip to Mississippi and then back through New Mexico. I was planning on buying a dashcam and found this post. I've been thinking of buying a dashcam for awhile and was trying to decide if I needed a rear facing cam to? On the trip to Mississippi, I will be pulling a travel trailer. We live in a small town in South East Arizona and might go to Tucson every couple of months. Will a front facing cam suffice since I only drive my truck once a week normally?
I drive my truck everyday and I only have the front camera. Will the rear camera be beneficial? Probably maybe if something happens behind your truck. Only you can determine if you need one or not. If you're towing a trailer the rear camera will only capture the front of the trailer

Davidbt

Reaction score
I drive my truck everyday and I only have the front camera. Will the rear camera be beneficial? Probably maybe if something happens behind your truck. Only you can determine if you need one or not. If you're towing a trailer the rear camera will only capture the front of the trailer
Thanks. I live in a small town and like I said, only drive it once a week. Other than pulling the trailer once in awhile, I guess you could call it a grocery getter, since I'm retired. I think the front cam will be sufficient.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Thanks. I live in a small town and like I said, only drive it once a week. Other than pulling the trailer once in awhile, I guess you could call it a grocery getter, since I'm retired. I think the front cam will be sufficient.
Yeah the rear camera certainly wouldn't hurt to have for obvious reasons. There is a little more involved when you run the wires to it in the back but it's not too bad judging from others that have the rear camera. Like I said, you'll have to determine whether you want it or not. Some people feel it necessary. I personally didn't want to run the wires to the back. Either way it's a pretty decent camera

BowDown

Reaction score
Yeah the rear camera certainly wouldn't hurt to have for obvious reasons. There is a little more involved when you run the wires to it in the back but it's not too bad judging from others that have the rear camera. Like I said, you'll have to determine whether you want it or not. Some people feel it necessary. I personally didn't want to run the wires to the back. Either way it's a pretty decent camera

I didn't either, just the front

Davidbt

Reaction score
So, another question I have is about the A & B model. Is the A model for the regular mirror with just the auto dimmer, and the B model would be for the mirror with the auto cruise and radar crap? I just have auto dimming in my truck.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
So, another question I have is about the A & B model. Is the A model for the regular mirror with just the auto dimmer, and the B model would be for the mirror with the auto cruise and radar crap? I just have auto dimming in my truck.

Big mirror bezel = B. It's pretty obvious when you look at the pics for the FitCam and compare them to yours.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the front camera also. I figured if someone hits me from behind and claims I backed into them, the front camera would still show I was not backing up.

Now, what I really wish someone would invent is a plug and play recording device for the existing camera system in my truck. It seems it would be fairly easy for manufacturers to use existing cameras to create top of the line whole car dash cams. Maybe in the future.
I believe Tesla is already doing this. I hope it catches on.

BowDown

Reaction score
I went with the front camera also. I figured if someone hits me from behind and claims I backed into them, the front camera would still show I was not backing up.

Now, what I really wish someone would invent is a plug and play recording device for the existing camera system in my truck. It seems it would be fairly easy for manufacturers to use existing cameras to create top of the line whole car dash cams. Maybe in the future.
I believe Tesla is already doing this. I hope it catches on.

Yes. Makes no sense that the factory system cant be looped into a memory drive and reviewed later, one extra step Ram, ONE

Users who are viewing this thread