5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fingers Crossed...Brake Squeal Resolved

killakill

Reaction score
went to one dealership complained about the noise for light braking was told that's the nature of the beast. called fca they had me go to a different dealer and give star number, well inbetween the time i went to first dealer and second i heard the Chewbacca sound. so i told the second dealership about it when i went in for the front brake squeal and they said they would look at it. they had to order the parts to fix my truck for the front brake squeal. so i took it in a wk later to get fixed and as i came back later that day to pick it up they said it was all fixed, i went to the truck and the guy backed it out for me and it made that god awful Chewbacca sound and i said to the guy see did u hear that and he said yes so i went in to ask about the noise and if they had checked it and the women said the guy told her its just something that happens when the truck sits for awhile something about overnight rust and it working off with first movement. and so again im like wtf now as i hear plenty of other cars that are new and dont make that sound i feel fed up with this truck at this point for a 52k truck im really starting to hate it. now thats its gotten cold it sounds so horrible everytime i back out my driveway thats its ridiculous. any ideas what to do from here

J4U

Reaction score
went to one dealership complained about the noise for light braking was told that's the nature of the beast. called fca they had me go to a different dealer and give star number, well inbetween the time i went to first dealer and second i heard the Chewbacca sound. so i told the second dealership about it when i went in for the front brake squeal and they said they would look at it. they had to order the parts to fix my truck for the front brake squeal. so i took it in a wk later to get fixed and as i came back later that day to pick it up they said it was all fixed, i went to the truck and the guy backed it out for me and it made that god awful Chewbacca sound and i said to the guy see did u hear that and he said yes so i went in to ask about the noise and if they had checked it and the women said the guy told her its just something that happens when the truck sits for awhile something about overnight rust and it working off with first movement. and so again im like wtf now as i hear plenty of other cars that are new and dont make that sound i feel fed up with this truck at this point for a 52k truck im really starting to hate it. now thats its gotten cold it sounds so horrible everytime i back out my driveway thats its ridiculous. any ideas what to do from here
That is NOT normal. Especially since they heard it and didn't bother to even consider fixing I would take it up the line of command there. Show them the TSB since they are too lazy to look for it.

Or find yet another dealer who is willing to provide actual service.

mrmachaveli

Reaction score
Work for a FCA dealership. I had my pads and rotors replaced at 9,000 miles for the squeal of death, under warranty. Now I am at 17,000 miles and it does it every humid or damp morning for the first 1/2 miles I drive. It is incredible that FCA says they are designed to do this, but it is pure crap that they do not want to do what is needed to fix the issue across the entire DT line. But, knowing the insides of how parts of the company operates, I am not surprised.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Work for a FCA dealership. I had my pads and rotors replaced at 9,000 miles for the squeal of death, under warranty. Now I am at 17,000 miles and it does it every humid or damp morning for the first 1/2 miles I drive. It is incredible that FCA says they are designed to do this, but it is pure crap that they do not want to do what is needed to fix the issue across the entire DT line. But, knowing the insides of how parts of the company operates, I am not surprised.
Def not normal at all.
Mine got fixed for squeal in Aug 2018 and I've not had issues since. Replaced rotors and redesigned pads.
Then, got the dreaded "chirp", which is a whole other issue, which was resolved in April or May (replaced front calipers).

Cheers,

JRubes

Reaction score
Just had pads and rotors replaces on my 19 Rebel.
Squeaking noise seems to be gone when I break, but any time I hit a rough patch on the road, I'm hearing some squeaking coming from the front end, again.
Any advice?

barr0208

Reaction score
well I finally had the dreaded brake howling. took to my service dealer went early parked outside had the shop foreman come out backed it up he covered his ears lol. waiting for the parts to come in and hopefully fix the problem 5800 miles on my truck.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Mine is going in for this tomorrow 9/3/2019. It is so horrific co-workers cover their ears if they are near when I am leaving (as a punch in the gut joke) because they drive old Chevy trucks that do not make a peep. Seriously though it is really embarrassing and I try to make sure nobody is around before I ever move my truck. The only vehicle in my life I ever have owned that has had any type of brake noise and this thing is horrific.

Reaction score
Mine is going in for this tomorrow 9/3/2019. It is so horrific co-workers cover their ears if they are near when I am leaving (as a punch in the gut joke) because they drive old Chevy trucks that do not make a peep. Seriously though it is really embarrassing and I try to make sure nobody is around before I ever move my truck. The only vehicle in my life I ever have owned that has had any type of brake noise and this thing is horrific.

My truck is starting to make loud brake noise almost everytime I start it up. After I drive a short bit it goes away.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine still squeal, but I have gotten used to it. One year old tomorrow and it has 23k miles.
Mines a little over year and 22k miles. Dealers has attempted to fix the front brake squeal twice. Always comes back. Finally tore the front brakes apart, cleaned them and greased the moving parts where the pads slide in the metal clips on the caliper bracket. Then used the CRC Disc brake quiet. This stuff basically bonds the back of the pads to the caliper changing the mass of the brake system and has solved the squealing issue 99%, get on occasional squeak in just the right conditions. Not sure if you have the front brake squeal or the rear brake moan. Not sure if this stuff would solve the rear moan issue.

1575417828135.png

Fooleo44

Reaction score
Currently on my 5th trip to the local dealer in 10 months.....passenger front brake squeal. Originally started on OEM equipment. Thought it was fixed back in April, so I pulled the trigger with some upgrades. STAR has looked at, FCA techs have looked at it, they've turned rotors, changed pads and changed calipers all on separate trips, but never together. Not sure if that would help.

Now I'm being told that the cause may be the 35's I put on. Funny thing, it's only making noise on the passenger side. Another.....they're selling upgraded RAMS on the lot with 33's and 35's. What a bunch of crap. Offered to cover the offest cost to upgrade the front rotors and calipers to performance grade equipment. Waiting for word back. Till then.....at least I have a nice loaner (2019 - 2500 4x4 Laramie). Still pisses me off they treat things as if it's a minute issue, especially seeing the boards with all the others having brake issues.

gencon

Reaction score
I brought mine in for brake squealing for the third time in a year. As for the rear brakes, they didn't do anything on that area because they said they saw something on their system that Ram is planning on issuing a new bulletin pertaining to a new housing/parts that will change the way they have been trying to fix the squeal problem. But the dealership said they don't expect it to come out until early 2020.

Does anyone else know anything about this or can find out more of the particulars?
I had the rear pads replaced per the recall, which included the caliper bolts. At same time, I paid for front pad replacement.
Every morning, for first 15 feet of forward movement, it now makes the "chewbakka " sound, then its gone. Park it for 5 or 6 hours, its back for the first 15 feet, then gone.

It is very annoying

I am going to purchase the BEST brake pads I can find and have them done at a performance brake shop.
I will report back when it is done

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still dealing with the squeal and chewabacca sounds over and over for a about a year, with multiple service visits to attempt to fix. It would be awesome if someone can share the star case info again so all the newbies don't have to search all the pages in this long thread.

jb772

Reaction score
Def not normal at all.
Mine got fixed for squeal in Aug 2018 and I've not had issues since. Replaced rotors and redesigned pads.
Then, got the dreaded "chirp", which is a whole other issue, which was resolved in April or May (replaced front calipers).

Cheers,

I'm so glad I looked at this thread because the chirp is driving me INSANE!! Is there a TSB you're aware of for this?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thank you both so much! My chirping happens only when I apply the brakes extremely lightly, as in so light that the pedal barely moves.
At least it doesn't do it with the engine off like mine did. Every single time I got in or out of the truck, it would chirp.
Talk about annoying...

jb772

Reaction score
At least it doesn't do it with the engine off like mine did. Every single time I got in or out of the truck, it would chirp.
Talk about annoying...

Well when the truck auto-turns off if im in a drive through or at a red light, as soon as I let off the brake I can hear it chirping. It is driving me insane but luckily I only hear it when the windows are down.

Greenchevette

Reaction score
One thing to be aware of, for that TSB to be covered my dealer told me it had to be done within first 12000 or year of ownership

Fooleo44

Reaction score
To add......IF your truck has any non-OEM equipment (wheels, tires, lift, leveling kit, etc.) FCA is now telling you that it's your problem to seal with. Head FCA technician is now telling me they are unwilling to do any more for me because of my oversized tires. Funny thing, they are selling 2020 trucks with lifts and wheels on the lot.

Legal action forthcoming. F*** them!!

Users who are viewing this thread