5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust manifold recall

Lumel187

Reaction score
Lumel187 said:
Jeez lol for me the 5 year/60k mile on that site said $5,700

. . . . . . .Some random comment without proof to back it up.
I literally went on the link that was sent, put the information of my truck. (2020 ram 1500 5.7l V8 etorque with 76,400 miles) selected the 5 year/60k mile plan and it quoted me at $5,700... why would I lie about that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Everyone else was talking about extended warranty, note the extended part

You picked off a 5 year new warranty (or else it would extend from what already expired forcing you to take a higher plan) , so that 5 year 75k miles is actually 145k miles because it's factoring in the 75k you already have it. You are not extending your warranty, you are getting an oem warranty.
... Which is not what everyone else is talking about, the first picture you posted says "how many years from today" and you hit 5. The other folks are thinking of extending ie adding onto what you already have, so a 5 year unlimited millage warranty (since you are already at 75k)

Ita a whole different comparison.

I still don't see this though
Jeez lol for me the 5 year/60k mile on that site said $5,700 😳

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I literally went on the link that was sent, put the information of my truck. (2020 ram 1500 5.7l V8 etorque with 76,400 miles) selected the 5 year/60k mile plan and it quoted me at $5,700... why would I lie about that.
You've got 76,000 miles on your truck and you're able to add on essentially a FACTORY warranty. It'll cost ya! (Esp with that eTorque!).

Didn't see you had 76k miles, I'm sure they are charging a premium for that. Had you bought it while you were within the factory warranty (or just beyond that), you'd be a hell of a lot less...

A year ago, I only paid $3,020 to get the 5yr/75k max year plan for my '19 with 53k miles on it...

U

User_3336

You didn't state that up front, you just commented on some random #. (and got called out on it).

Dragon62

Reaction score
My '21 is waiting on the manifold R side to come in. At 41k it cracked in half.

r25558

Reaction score
Do we know if 2023 models are affected by this? Looking to buy this week.

jakewithhometown

Reaction score
They all will be effected unless they change the manifold design, I put shorty headers on mine just last week

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Do we know if 2023 models are affected by this? Looking to buy this week.

Supposedly, according to my dealer, the 3rd generation of the manifolds were another redesign to fix both issues.

1st generation design: Bolts/studs would crack.

2nd generation design: Manifold would crack.

3rd generation design: Supposedly fixed both issues.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I think they are blowing smoke. I have not heard that the newest revision will fix the cracking issue.

Way to rain on parade lol. I was hoping this would be the permanent, or at least, long-term fix haha.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Well I documented the differences between the revisions but ultimately time will tell of the changes were actually effective.

I now have 112k miles on the original drivers side with no cracks and roughly 15k miles on the gen 3 manifold I installed on the passenger side.

There seems to be a lot of discrepancy on how long some last before cracking so I’m curious how much driving habits play a part vs luck of the draw from the manufacturing process. I can remember running my 460’s and 488’s to the point the entire manifolds were glowing a bright orange and they never cracked. Can’t say my Hemi has seen even a fraction of that punishment since I’m growed up now.

Cheebie

Reaction score
Well my 2021 is making the manifold noise. I just got back from a long road trip and cold started yesterday. As mentioned throughout this thread I got the noise on both sides. Unfortunately, 65000 miles....I'm not a mechanic but I have worked on newer vehicles before and I feel the skills to preform a replacement. The main question is if I should call the dealer or fca to see if they will honor replacement or not even bother with it and do it myself. Any advise would be appreciated.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I would say it depends on the dealership. Mine is always backed up and I travel for work so I just opted to do the replacement myself when it was convenient to me.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my 2021 is making the manifold noise. I just got back from a long road trip and cold started yesterday. As mentioned throughout this thread I got the noise on both sides. Unfortunately, 65000 miles....I'm not a mechanic but I have worked on newer vehicles before and I feel the skills to preform a replacement. The main question is if I should call the dealer or fca to see if they will honor replacement or not even bother with it and do it myself. Any advise would be appreciated.
From my personal experience a call is the first step. Are you a loyal customer to a dealer for your maintenance and repairs? Many times this is the first step a dealer looks at.

Cheebie

Reaction score
Truck is scheduled, March 27th. Ridiculous really, also having them look at gas filler tube as well, pain in rear on road trip

danda1996

Reaction score
Well. In my case, the "3" year old Limited SHOULDN'T suffer a crack in the exhaust manifold, but it has, and after 7 months, STILL waiting for the replacement part to come in!!??! Like the truck, but not happy with DODGE!?!
Just an update: the Dealer FINALLY received my replacement manifold roughly 2 weeks ago. Made my appointment and dropped it off the day before. Hot damn!! They got it done right away the same day!?! Even was so kind to cannibalize a passenger side visor from another truck on the lot and took care of that problem for me also(on backorder as well!!?). So far so good!?! Now, if they could just do something about the absolute lack of a turning radius!??!?!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just an update: the Dealer FINALLY received my replacement manifold roughly 2 weeks ago. Made my appointment and dropped it off the day before. Hot damn!! They got it done right away the same day!?! Even was so kind to cannibalize a passenger side visor from another truck on the lot and took care of that problem for me also(on backorder as well!!?). So far so good!?! Now, if they could just do something about the absolute lack of a turning radius!??!?!
Good luck with that one.

rowebil

Reaction score
I have a 2022 RAM 1500 with the same issue, passenger side a loud noise at cold startup but no smell anywhere. Unfortunately 65k miles so I'm out of warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread