5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust manifold recall

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well. In my case, the "3" year old Limited SHOULDN'T suffer a crack in the exhaust manifold, but it has, and after 7 months, STILL waiting for the replacement part to come in!!??! Like the truck, but not happy with DODGE!?!
If you have been waiting for 7 months, sounds like it was never ordered.

Manifolds shouldn't be cracking, but they are.
Warranty is based upon time AND mileage.
If you let the truck sit for 15 years the manifolds would never of cracked, and if you drove 150k miles in the first year they most certainly would.

Also Dodge doesn't make these trucks, unless you are unhappy with Dodge because you have problems with a charger or or something too?

danda1996

Reaction score
If you have been waiting for 7 months, sounds like it was never ordered.

Manifolds shouldn't be cracking, but they are.
Warranty is based upon time AND mileage.
If you let the truck sit for 15 years the manifolds would never of cracked, and if you drove 150k miles in the first year they most certainly would.

Also Dodge doesn't make these trucks, unless you are unhappy with Dodge because you have problems with a charger or or something too?
RAM of the West simply has the excuse that they are "permitted" to order only so many (??!!). Thus I've asked if the problem is so vast, why is there no recall??!! And now on top of this, I have a "visor" problem, like so many others. I can only go with the fact that they've conveyed to me that it has been on order since late last June, just haven't been able to get them in on a timely basis!??! Sound like b/s?? Maybe so!?!?

danda1996

Reaction score
RAM of the West simply has the excuse that they are "permitted" to order only so many (??!!). Thus I've asked if the problem is so vast, why is there no recall??!! And now on top of this, I have a "visor" problem, like so many others. I can only go with the fact that they've conveyed to me that it has been on order since late last June, just haven't been able to get them in on a timely basis!??! Sound like b/s?? Maybe so!?!?
Oh. And they say the passenger side visor is on backorder as well!!?!

danda1996

Reaction score
hahahahahahahaha
They were Dodge. And with the issues I've had, and are still having, they're still DODGE. With a history of problems, that still exist! At least back in the day my Dakota's didn't have problems, thank God.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well. In my case, the "3" year old Limited SHOULDN'T suffer a crack in the exhaust manifold, but it has, and after 7 months, STILL waiting for the replacement part to come in!!??! Like the truck, but not happy with DODGE!?!

Time is irrelevant, it's heat cycles that causes cast iron to crack

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They were Dodge. And with the issues I've had, and are still having, they're still DODGE. With a history of problems, that still exist! At least back in the day my Dakota's didn't have problems, thank God.

No, your Dakota didn't have any issues the same way many people's 5th gen ram don't have any issues.
Cast iron manifolds can crack, period, doesn't matter the make if the vehicle.

Cast iron absorbs exhaust and valve train noises and helps to keep heat in the combustion chamber.

Lumel187

Reaction score
Hard facts Inc.
You have a very expensive pickup truck. When I was in school I drove a $600 oldsmobile that was 20 years old. I then moved up to a Sebring which was worth under $3000.
You should sell your truck and get a 10-15 year old car until you finish school and get a good job. You can't afford a new vehicle and you shouldn't of gotten one before. If it's more expensive to sell and replace it then that means you own less of your truck then what your loan is, which is also a bad move putting yourself in debt.
Any car/truck is going to cost money to fix and maintain. Getting the exhaust manifold fixed/replaced is not expensive compared to typical repairs for these trucks.
You likely will need pads/rotors very soon, and your 100k miles services changing fluids that will cost you several hundred dollars not counting labor.

The truck has almost 80k miles on it, can't expect Ram to warranty a truck forever, they would never make money.
I understand what you're saying. I'm 30 years old. This isn't my first car, I'm not negative on the truck. Actually negotiated a good deal on this truck brand new. I was working and decided to go for a career change, just jumped on it and said I'll figure it out as i go, since i figured with good maintenance the ram could give me at least 150k miles, I'll be done with school in 14 months and would have a career job immediately since it's in medical field. I've handled all my diff fluids, transfer case fluids at 50k miles before a trip to Chicago from NY. I'm aware of upcoming transmission fluids and radiator flush. I've upgraded rotors and pads (xtreme pads) replaced them myself. I looked into getting a smaller car and in today's market they wanted 450 a month for a Honda civic... I pay 650 for my fully loaded laramie that's probably almost double the price of a civic. And I don't want a 10+ year old car that's going to cost 10k in today's used market that I'm going to be stuck with repairing every other month and be stranded occasionally (like my 96 E36 M3 that's been sitting for 2 years). I'm not asking ram for unlimited warranty but something that's a consistent issue with majority of their trucks should be addressed by them. I don't mind fixing the manifold issue but if its something that's going to continue going bad or breaking every 20k miles then that's a manufacturer defect. As for the passenger axle. I replaced both prematurely because the passenger side was doing the harlem shake and now passenger axle is back at it again. I don't mind replacing it but if it's going to continue to go bad prematurely... is that fair to the consumer?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. I'm 30 years old. This isn't my first car, I'm not negative on the truck. Actually negotiated a good deal on this truck brand new. I was working and decided to go for a career change, just jumped on it and said I'll figure it out as i go, since i figured with good maintenance the ram could give me at least 150k miles, I'll be done with school in 14 months and would have a career job immediately since it's in medical field. I've handled all my diff fluids, transfer case fluids at 50k miles before a trip to Chicago from NY. I'm aware of upcoming transmission fluids and radiator flush. I've upgraded rotors and pads (xtreme pads) replaced them myself. I looked into getting a smaller car and in today's market they wanted 450 a month for a Honda civic... I pay 650 for my fully loaded laramie that's probably almost double the price of a civic. And I don't want a 10+ year old car that's going to cost 10k in today's used market that I'm going to be stuck with repairing every other month and be stranded occasionally (like my 96 E36 M3 that's been sitting for 2 years). I'm not asking ram for unlimited warranty but something that's a consistent issue with majority of their trucks should be addressed by them. I don't mind fixing the manifold issue but if its something that's going to continue going bad or breaking every 20k miles then that's a manufacturer defect. As for the passenger axle. I replaced both prematurely because the passenger side was doing the harlem shake and now passenger axle is back at it again. I don't mind replacing it but if it's going to continue to go bad prematurely... is that fair to the consumer?
I mean there Is a lot that is not fair to the consumer, and it's not just Ram. Most replacement parts come with their own warranty, buy them using a credit card that provides extended warranty (it adds 1 year of warranty to any item with a warranty of 5 years or less when paid with the credit card). That should at least get you a 2 year warranty minimum if stuff is really going every 20k miles.

I havnt seen many complaints about axle problems but for the manifolds I know they have changed part numbers a bit but not sure if the problem is completely solved with the newer part numbers yet.
There is some luck of the draw on this too, not 100% of the trucks have manifold problems, just like not 100% have a leaking rear window frame.

You can get an extended warranty through mopar/maxcare, and if you are having these problems it might make sense to do so. They have like 4 different offerings and time ranges and millilge limits and it could give you the peace of mind knowing you don't have unexpected expenses and can budget for it. It is done through any Ram dealership, it's not one of those 3rd party claim type crap.
Maybe check it out, enter your info and see what it looks like? You might need to get an inspection due to your high millage I believe.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a 2020 ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L E-torque. Has 76k miles and I'm pretty sure my manifold is either cracked or leaking or whatever because I have to now drive most of the time with my windows cracked or down depending on how cold it is to not be engulfed by the smell of the exhaust fumes in cabin. I didn't know what it could be, this is my first pickup truck let alone ram. I'm out of warranty and the cost to repair an issue that is pretty much common with every ram is a lot for me atleast since I became a full time student and only make enough to basically pay the bills and handle minimal stuff like oil changes, tune ups etc. Left field stuff like this and axles issue I've come to discover has me pulling my hair, because it is not a cheap fix and let alone a permanent one. Yes I know this truck has become unaffordable for me. But getting rid of it and getting a new vehicle today is somehow more expensive or makes no sense. I don't understand how this manifold or the Axle issue isn't a recall on this truck. Like is there any aftermarket options that would surely fix the issue? I really love this truck but man this absurd, I've had rear diff explode on the highway at less than 20k miles. Rear suspension (not air ride) gone prematurely at less than 30k miles, heaviest thing I've put on my bed is a 400 pound sport bike. Front axles gone before 50k miles, caused ridiculous shaking anything above 67mph. Replaced with aftermarket ones and apparently the issue seems to be the design and the PS axle shaft is the issue, that part is very expensive OEM let alone labor. Like it's just never ending.
The manifold was 65 something + shipping. PS axle was little over a hundred plus shipping.
Have not heard of any 5th gen rear ends exploding or rear suspension failures, you are the first one.

Lumel187

Reaction score
Must be a bad leak. Mine is leaking on passenger side but I don't smell anything in the cabin.

It's a fairly easy DIY if you have the means. I bought the whole passenger side kit for $65 plus shipping.
Oh really?
I mean there Is a lot that is not fair to the consumer, and it's not just Ram. Most replacement parts come with their own warranty, buy them using a credit card that provides extended warranty (it adds 1 year of warranty to any item with a warranty of 5 years or less when paid with the credit card). That should at least get you a 2 year warranty minimum if stuff is really going every 20k miles.

I havnt seen many complaints about axle problems but for the manifolds I know they have changed part numbers a bit but not sure if the problem is completely solved with the newer part numbers yet.
There is some luck of the draw on this too, not 100% of the trucks have manifold problems, just like not 100% have a leaking rear window frame.

You can get an extended warranty through mopar/maxcare, and if you are having these problems it might make sense to do so. They have like 4 different offerings and time ranges and millilge limits and it could give you the peace of mind knowing you don't have unexpected expenses and can budget for it. It is done through any Ram dealership, it's not one of those 3rd party claim type crap.
Maybe check it out, enter your info and see what it looks like? You might need to get an inspection due to your high millage I believe.
Yeah I don't have the rear Window leak but deff the manifold. I looked into mopar extended warranty. I contacted them directly and they gave me a price list for Max care plus the most being the $100 deductible 5yr/60k miles for $5k. No financing available for that either. Paid on the spot after an inspection. Thanks for the tip though. I'll prob have to go that route if I want to have a peace of mind for at least another 60k miles.

Lumel187

Reaction score
The manifold was 65 something + shipping. PS axle was little over a hundred plus shipping.
Have not heard of any 5th gen rear ends exploding or rear suspension failures, you are the first one.
Yeah my rear diff blew into pieces. I ended up doing some research and apparently some left off the line with incorrect amount of diff fluid and I was one of few victims. They replaced entire rear end under warranty though. OEM axle a little over a hundred? Where? When I called the dealer they told me almost 500 per axle!!! I mean and as per stock shock/struts my rear ones were done before 40k miles and now my fronts are done but I have 76k miles so that's fine I guess. Ordered new bilsteins to replace them for something better. Ordered suspension Maxx sway links since stock ones took a crap already and replacing inner and outer tie rods as well just to take care of whole front end since it feels too loose and unstable. I just want to find an aftermarket manifold and axle permanent solution that'll solve the issue, where I don't have to worry about cracks or premature wear. Oh and also lower control arm ball joint not being replaceable sucks because I've also read they go prematurely and I feel like that's the case with mine because I can't determine what's making the small faint clunking or ticking noise after small bumps etc. So apparently LCA has to be replaced as whole.

Lumel187

Reaction score
Also I've read the intermediate shaft of PS axle is the issue or not sure of the axle taking a crap causes the intermediate shaf to wear out and then now that has to be replaced and just the intermediate shaft at dealer is also like 425 if I remember correctly.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah my rear diff blew into pieces. I ended up doing some research and apparently some left off the line with incorrect amount of diff fluid and I was one of few victims. They replaced entire rear end under warranty though. OEM axle a little over a hundred? Where? When I called the dealer they told me almost 500 per axle!!! I mean and as per stock shock/struts my rear ones were done before 40k miles and now my fronts are done but I have 76k miles so that's fine I guess. Ordered new bilsteins to replace them for something better. Ordered suspension Maxx sway links since stock ones took a crap already and replacing inner and outer tie rods as well just to take care of whole front end since it feels too loose and unstable. I just want to find an aftermarket manifold and axle permanent solution that'll solve the issue, where I don't have to worry about cracks or premature wear. Oh and also lower control arm ball joint not being replaceable sucks because I've also read they go prematurely and I feel like that's the case with mine because I can't determine what's making the small faint clunking or ticking noise after small bumps etc. So apparently LCA has to be replaced as whole.
Not OEM shafts.
Chinese after market, OEM most likely stamped in the same factory with different stickers.
Lower control arms, the ball joints should be good for 100k not much more IMO. Mine are getting little sloppy at 80k.
`97 Expedition was still solid at 200k...

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also I've read the intermediate shaft of PS axle is the issue or not sure of the axle taking a crap causes the intermediate shaf to wear out and then now that has to be replaced and just the intermediate shaft at dealer is also like 425 if I remember correctly.
You tube is your friend.
These are not all that hard to replace with some "basic" tools.

Fbird

Reaction score
TRUE statement, dealers here have stated they can only order 1 manifold "kit" every 7 days, takes about 3-5 days to get it.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Oh boy, I'm going there..."At least back in the day my Dakota's didn't have problems"...uhm, I've always considered RUST to be a problem😳 (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Hey, I just sold my Dakota last year. Here in Wisco, we don't have rust because we have to store our toys in the winter🤣

Attachments

• 20230327_154014.jpg
    20230327_154014.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 14

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh really?

Yeah I don't have the rear Window leak but deff the manifold. I looked into mopar extended warranty. I contacted them directly and they gave me a price list for Max care plus the most being the $100 deductible 5yr/60k miles for $5k. No financing available for that either. Paid on the spot after an inspection. Thanks for the tip though. I'll prob have to go that route if I want to have a peace of mind for at least another 60k miles.
You don't get it through Mopar directly, they are the most expensive. Check out the site I listed and call them. Also if you keep the truck through the warranty time and don't use it at all you can get a 100% refund if you wanted to just get the warranty and save it for a big ticket item and not use it on smaller things..
Nothing is built to last now on purpose.

Lumel187

Reaction score
Not OEM shafts.
Chinese after market, OEM most likely stamped in the same factory with different stickers.
Lower control arms, the ball joints should be good for 100k not much more IMO. Mine are getting little sloppy at 80k.
`97 Expedition was still solid at 200k...
Yeah no unfortunate for me my LCA started making those small little knocking noise early. At least I believe so. Once I replace suspension, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, and axles with shaft, I guess I'll see how it feels.

Users who are viewing this thread