5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Duran

Reaction score
Curious if the noise i hear is the same. Could.you guys post videos with the noise.

Rcman292

Reaction score
I am currently having the same issue with the excessive exhaust noise/ stinky fumes coming from my passenger side manifold. 23k miles 2020 ram etorque. Hopefully my dealership here in Orange tx (Granger Ram) treats me right and fixes it under the bumper to bumper warranty

Ratchet

Reaction score
Mine started this past Friday evening. Turned out to be a broken bolt at the rear of the manifold. Was a dead giveaway when I saw the heatshield vibrating. I'm right at 36K, but was easier for me just to fix it vs letting warranty cover it. Was able to remove the broken portion fairly easily and went ahead and replaced all of the passenger side manifold bolts.

For those that might be curious, the part number for the aftermarket kit I used is:
Dorman part# 03309 https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-86539-03309.aspx?origin=keyword
This is a 13 piece bolt/stud kit that also includes 4 new nuts to reinstall the manifold heat shield.

Last edited:

VictoriaFarm

Reaction score
I have the eTorque hemi and my passenger side manifold cracked. Dealer replaced under warranty. Now just waiting for the inevitable failure of the driver's side. Are the replacement manifolds any different from the factory stock one? Have many had multiple failures?

Woolnerc

Reaction score
I have an leaking manifold on my 2019 dodge ram 1500. 22k miles.
i also have a Cat back Borla exhaust which was professionally installed.
Im being denied coverage under warranty here in Florida. is that right.
Doesn't Magnuson Moss Warranty Act imply that a after market part doesn't void warranty in this case as it cat back and correctly secured.
and advice on how to proceed

ArtieD

Reaction score
Def not a common issue for manifold cracking. It does happen, just not so low of mileage.
My driver side manifold cracked in August was replaced under warranty had 44k , now my passenger side cracked , but they quickly replaced it under warranty 52k I think its a common thing around 22k to 50k for the new trucks anyway , Not sure why some dont have the problem and others do ? I mean 2 in 3 months ! They said nothing was changed only that the new replacement has a stiffening bar , not sure how it helps ? it still will be expanding and contracting at different rates , cast iron bolted on aluminum block ? will see !!! but i definitly will go to full headers next time !! cheers

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an leaking manifold on my 2019 dodge ram 1500. 22k miles.
i also have a Cat back Borla exhaust which was professionally installed.
Im being denied coverage under warranty here in Florida. is that right.
Doesn't Magnuson Moss Warranty Act imply that a after market part doesn't void warranty in this case as it cat back and correctly secured.
and advice on how to proceed

Mag-Moss Act is unrelated.

That basically says manufacturers cannot require you to use OEM parts in order for warranty coverage, unless they are provided free of charge.

wsafranski

Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 bighorn 14k and cracked manifold here too. Tow during summer and fall (that’s what a pickup is for) and after reading all the threads on the topic not exactly pleased that there’s does not seem to be a more sure fire fix.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2020 ram 1500 bighorn 14k and cracked manifold here too. Tow during summer and fall (that’s what a pickup is for) and after reading all the threads on the topic not exactly pleased that there’s does not seem to be a more sure fire fix.
Some guys take the manifolds to a machine shop and have them ground down lightly until they are perfectly flat, then put them back on with new bolts. This is a permanent fix, the twist is already there and doesn't twist again since the grind aligns everything to the new shape. Another option is to put on shorty headers, more expensive but you get a slight increase in power too.

If the dealer just puts them back on with new bolts, or you put new mainfolds on, you run the same risk/probability that they will fail again.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mag-Moss Act is unrelated.

That basically says manufacturers cannot require you to use OEM parts in order for warranty coverage, unless they are provided free of charge.
It applies. You are talking about the tie in sales provision, which is relevant here. In the case of aftermarket parts causing warranty denial the MM act also places the burden on the manufacturer to prove that part/modification is at fault.

1636659597388.png

RAM would have an extremely difficult time meeting that unreasonable use threshold. I would love to see them prove a Borla exhaust is at fault for a cracked manifold here since they sell the MOPAR performance exhaust (which DOESN'T cancel a warranty)...which is literally a Borla exhaust with MOPAR slapped on the box.

I recommend @Woolnerc contact a lawyer specializing in warranty law (Lemon Law lawyers usually have this expertise). The MM act also requires the manufacturer pay lawyers fees if you win (most warranty lawyers won't take the case if they don't have a solid case).

GARebel19

Reaction score
So I finally got to my dealer to have the ticking noise looked at. I posted a video of this on page 9. I dropped it off late and they called me the next day to tell me they don't hear anything out of the ordinary. So I mentioned to them that I notice it more when the engine is warmed up. They called me back later saying they let it idle for an hour and a half and still don't hear anything. Not exactly what I had in mind by warming it up but whatever. So not too concerned at this point since I have another 2.5 years of the powertrain warranty as I put so few miles on it but curious if you all think the dealer just didn't want to deal with it or what.

Charger68

Reaction score
That's the run around I got. Ooohh it's the usual hemi tick, bullsh-t, it's an exhaust leak. Same deal, run it around take it in when warrantee is getting close

My1stHemi

Reaction score
The sure fix is high quality aftermarket stainless shorties. I have no more leaks.
I do not enjoy spending time at the dealer or being without my truck. It’s worth the cost to upgrade on your own dollar rather than reuse oem parts that will likely crack again. I keep my trucks for 8-10 years so longevity has real value to me.

silver billet

Reaction score
The sure fix is high quality aftermarket stainless shorties. I have no more leaks.
I do not enjoy spending time at the dealer or being without my truck. It’s worth the cost to upgrade on your own dollar rather than reuse oem parts that will likely crack again. I keep my trucks for 8-10 years so longevity has real value to me.

What did you go with?

GARebel19

Reaction score
Well I guess I can always do what I first said I would and take the heat shield off myself to confirm. Just looks like more of a PITA than I want to deal with. The more I think about it the more it bothers me they idled the truck for so long. I can tell they aren't exaggerating since the truck was low on gas and my mpg was lower than ever. How do you justify letting it idle for so long? I'll pull the dash cam tomorrow to see what else they did.

BigD

Reaction score
Not too happy to hear these 5th gen still have the exhaust leakage problem with the broken bolts. I got rid of my 2013 Ram because of that. Drove it for 2 years with a cold start up tick. I wasn't sure if it was broken bolts or lifters. Didn't want to deal with it either way. I had 73,000 on it. I got 20,000 on my 2020 Ran now. Sure hope I don't have to deal with the same problem again.

GARebel19

Reaction score
So after referring to my dash cam my truck was idling at the dealer with the hood up for a minimum of 2 hours and 15 minutes. Unknown how much longer because my camera only has a 3 hour loop and 45 minutes were being saved in the emergency folder. They only shut my truck off when I called to ask about it. Probably still be running if I hadn't. Pisses me off because I'm always careful about not letting it sit and idle and these "mechanics" had no justification for that. This is why I do all my own maintenance. Cant even trust the clowns at the dealer to take care of my ****.

silver billet

Reaction score
So after referring to my dash cam my truck was idling at the dealer with the hood up for a minimum of 2 hours and 15 minutes. Unknown how much longer because my camera only has a 3 hour loop and 45 minutes were being saved in the emergency folder. They only shut my truck off when I called to ask about it. Probably still be running if I hadn't. Pisses me off because I'm always careful about not letting it sit and idle and these "mechanics" had no justification for that. This is why I do all my own maintenance. Cant even trust the clowns at the dealer to take care of my ****.

I wouldn't worry about, there are plenty of guys who idle their trucks and have no issues. I hate the idea of my truck idling, but it's not going to break because it did it once for 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread