5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

jcjohn

Reaction score
I bought my '19 a couple weeks ago with 49k miles. Is there an easy way to see if the manifolds have already been replaced? Can I look it up by VIN somewhere?

Rebel 12

Reaction score
I bought my '19 a couple weeks ago with 49k miles. Is there an easy way to see if the manifolds have already been replaced? Can I look it up by VIN somewhere?
If it was done at a dealership any dealer can look up your vin and tell you if it has been done or not

Reverse

Reaction score
Took my truck in yesterday. I knew it was a manifold leak because it had also happened on our 2014 :p so I remembered what that sounded like. Lucky for me (after reading this thread) it was just broken studs, manifold is supposedly fine. And only on passenger side so far.

This can't be cheap for Ram, having to fix all of these leaks mostly under warranty. Somehow bean counters must have decided that it's worth it?

Reverse

Reaction score
So, fun update. Received an update today and now (after further inspection?), it turns out both manifolds are cracked :-( Fortunately, they got a hold of two manifolds and should have truck back tomorrow.

BigD

Reaction score
My 2013 Ram had that tick for about 20 seconds on cold starts on passenger side. Had 73,000 miles on it when I traded it in but I drove it 2 yrs with that tick. So probably started around 55,000 miles. I read horror stories where the broken bolts can end up costing thousands in labor if they are a pain in the butt to remove. If it's the lifter you are basically screwed.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Took my truck in yesterday. I knew it was a manifold leak because it had also happened on our 2014 :p so I remembered what that sounded like. Lucky for me (after reading this thread) it was just broken studs, manifold is supposedly fine. And only on passenger side so far.

This can't be cheap for Ram, having to fix all of these leaks mostly under warranty. Somehow bean counters must have decided that it's worth it?
So, fun update. Received an update today and now (after further inspection?), it turns out both manifolds are cracked :-( Fortunately, they got a hold of two manifolds and should have truck back tomorrow.

I was going to say... studs don't just break on exhaust manifolds. Either they're cracked or they're tweaked (warped). Glad they're taking care of you.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
At least your getting them taken care of at the same time. I have to go back for the driver's side

PaGregSS

Reaction score
Just got my truck back yesterday. Cracked passenger side manifold with 33K miles on the truck. It took a month to get the parts.

For the person asking about those of us that tow, my truck is hooked to a trailer 90% of the time. Most of that is towing my pretty light aluminum bass boat that's around 2K pounds. So, very light towing. On average, I tow 200-300 miles every weekend.

Reverse

Reaction score
Just picked up mine. Both manifolds replaced. 1 day wait for parts. I don't understand how one dealer can get parts no problem, and another has to wait a month? Anyway, drives like new and no more hooptie sound when starting :)

Stats: 53,684 miles, no towing, no short trips

Last edited:

Rebel 12

Reaction score
Just picked up mine. Both manifolds replaced. 1 day wait for parts. I don't understand how one dealer can get parts no problem, and another has to wait a month? Anyway, drives like new and no more hooptie sound when starting :)

One dealership tries harder then authers

270wsmhunter

Reaction score

I waited 6 weeks for my passenger manifold to arrive, they replaced it when my truck was brought in for OEM battery failure at 34K miles.

Hummer24

Reaction score
@scudda Did they ever get this resolved?
I just had my 2019 Limited with 42,000 miles on it at the dealer as i heard a leak, and they confirmed both my manifolds were cracked. They ordered the parts and hope to have them in in 2 weeks. We shall see how the supply chain is working, as they think it will be longer.

Johnnymass

Reaction score
I noticed rattle sound during cold start from the drivers side wheel well. The rattling lowered at operating temperature but I could still hear the rattle & whistle( exhaust fumes). So I scheduled a visit with my local dealer. Dealer said my exhaust manifold was cracked. He also stated that the bolts commonly break, but this time, the manifold was cracked?

The replacement is backordered until the 28th of April.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Manifolds are both cracked on mine. Broght it on 9 weeks ago. Diagnosed and ordered at the dealership, still waiting, loud as hell and fumes in the cab are starting to make me sick.
Called again this past week, still no idea when the new manifolds will be availble.
So now my almost 70,000$ truck isn't even driveable.

Nels

Reaction score
Manifolds are both cracked on mine. Broght it on 9 weeks ago. Diagnosed and ordered at the dealership, still waiting, loud as hell and fumes in the cab are starting to make me sick.
Called again this past week, still no idea when the new manifolds will be availble.
So now my almost 70,000$ truck isn't even driveable.
Mine is just starting with the sound. Its going in next week for repair. Dealer said same thing- commonly the bolts but they havent looked at it yet. We shall see!

Bpz442

Reaction score
I noticed rattle sound during cold start from the drivers side wheel well. The rattling lowered at operating temperature but I could still hear the rattle & whistle( exhaust fumes). So I scheduled a visit with my local dealer. Dealer said my exhaust manifold was cracked. He also stated that the bolts commonly break, but this time, the manifold was cracked?

The replacement is backordered until the 28th of April.

Has anyone else had this issue?
I just bought my 2019 with 41,000 miles on it. It also had the right side manifold cracked and had to be replaced. I have had it back for 2-3 weeks now and the drivers side is making the same noise as the passenger side. I also have the same rattle noise at a cold start now. I will have this checked out when they replace the drivers side manifold.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Seems a lot of ppl having this issue recently. Mine started too

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership ordered manifold for me 6 weeks ago. Parts came in last week and it went it yesterday to get fixed. I got a call form the dealership saying that they discovered A cracked cylinder head that needs to be replaced as well. My truck is stuck at the dealership for the next 10-12 days until they can get the part in to fix it. My truck has 46K miles on it.

Charger68

Reaction score
Dickweeds at my dealership claim it was standard hemi tick. I currently have 4 vehicles with hemis. Not one sounds like my truck. They just lost my business, stay away from Rouen in toledo.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dealership ordered manifold for me 6 weeks ago. Parts came in last week and it went it yesterday to get fixed. I got a call form the dealership saying that they discovered A cracked cylinder head that needs to be replaced as well. My truck is stuck at the dealership for the next 10-12 days until they can get the part in to fix it. My truck has 46K miles on it.

Hello @MValdez,

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle concerns and potential part delays. If interested, please send our team a private message as we are more than happy to offer our assistance in expediting what you may need!

Hannah
Ram Cares

rksdelta

Reaction score
Has anybody had this problem on late production date 2020 model ?
Yes I have a mid 2020 1500 with only 13k miles on it. In the shop today. Manifolds cracked and bolts broken. These problems are not fixed on new models. Service supervisor says it is a problem with all HEMIS EVEN 6.2 Hellcat and TRX

Users who are viewing this thread