5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Well I had an exhaust leak form again even with my AFE headers. I was hopeful it was a sealing issue at the collectors but I found a crack on a weld at the pipes that come together at the collector, just like what happened with my driver’s side AFe manifold.

I did find a gasket for the collectors that works great in place of bare steel or rtv.

AFE sent me a new warrantied manifold for the drivers side so I’ll see what they have to say about this one. Regardless, I am a reluctant to run with AFE headers anymore.

BD55EF18-DAEC-4A39-B053-D447B134AAD1.jpeg

Attachments

• 31B8314F-6341-46C2-B27D-E559E08D1A72.jpeg
    31B8314F-6341-46C2-B27D-E559E08D1A72.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 68
  • 42EC5C07-D792-4FE7-92EF-64561D9E9DDD.jpeg
    42EC5C07-D792-4FE7-92EF-64561D9E9DDD.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 68
  • BC4F1298-32BF-4ADD-895A-440CC6058AB2.jpeg
    BC4F1298-32BF-4ADD-895A-440CC6058AB2.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Vulpes

Reaction score
Well I had an exhaust leak form again even with my AFE headers. I was hopeful it was a sealing issue at the collectors but I found a crack on a weld at the pipes that come together at the collector, just like what happened with my driver’s side AFe manifold.

I did find a gasket for the collectors that works great in place of bare steel or rtv.

AFE sent me a new warrantied manifold for the drivers side so I’ll see what they have to say about this one. Regardless, I am a reluctant to run with AFE headers anymore.

View attachment 142362
Damn! That's crappy. Got my fingers crossed, for your new headers, and my JBA's.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I'm leaning to the JBAs with a ceramic coating myself. In time though. need to prep for the holidays LOL

4thRam

Reaction score
Which headers did you get? I went onto JBA’s website and they had 3 different types. Might have to just purchase them and store them until I need them.
I ended up getting mine from CSP Racing. JBA 1961S-3JS - 19-21 Ram 5.7L HEMI 1-5/8in Primary Silver Ctd Cat4Ward Header

My1stHemi

Reaction score

AFE sent me a new warrantied manifold for the drivers side so I’ll see what they have to say about this one. Regardless, I am a reluctant to run with AFE headers anymore
AFE just shipped a new header for the passenger side. I will install both new warrantied headers soon and cross my fingers. I am tired of having to drive around with my windows open to keep from passing out on exhaust gas :p

I am also not going to ceramic coat this time as it didn't seem to hold up the last two times I had the headers coated.

Vulpes

Reaction score
AFE just shipped a new header for the passenger side. I will install both new warrantied headers soon and cross my fingers. I am tired of having to drive around with my windows open to keep from passing out on exhaust gas :p

I am also not going to ceramic coat this time as it didn't seem to hold up the last two times I had the headers coated.
🤞

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now at 25000 miles I have cracked manifolds ( Both are being replaced). Truck been in shop for a week now. Took in at 21000 & 24,000 for oil change and complained about the ticking noise on cold start.
Once it warms up not so much (very faint).
Hopefully never again BUT if it does headers here I come.
Rear drive shaft will be replaced as well- thump / bumping sound.

Man made - Man break.
Blessing I have factory warranty and because of all the electrical I brought the extended warrant - 1st time ever for a vehicle purchase.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I just mailed out my new manifolds for jet-hot ceramic coating after I had to have the flanges machined/decked due to warping fresh out of the box.

After doing more research, we are in good company struggling with warped/broken exhaust manifolds. It happens on GM trucks at my office, and it happens with fords.

It used to be on the 4th gen rams, that the manifold bolts wood break before the manifold, now it seems that that is reversed. I believe that if you are handy with a wrench and don’t have cracked manifolds yet, it would be a good preventative maintenance item to remove your manifolds and check them for being warped. Odds are they have some twist in them and you could likely avoid failure by getting them machined.

Here are some pics of how warped my new header flanges were. I never checked my first set of headers thinking that they were new and fine. Not so. I was always fighting leaks at the front and back and this is where the cracking happened too.

C67C9DA1-8EDC-4006-A084-37D6D0CE16F2.jpeg F0D7C75A-83ED-4BD4-BF15-6626380935FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe that if you are handy with a wrench and don’t have cracked manifolds yet, it would be a good preventative maintenance item to remove your manifolds and check them for being warped.
Manifold kits with all parts are about $100 from the dealer

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just mailed out my new manifolds for jet-hot ceramic coating after I had to have the flanges machined/decked due to warping fresh out of the box.

After doing more research, we are in good company struggling with warped/broken exhaust manifolds. It happens on GM trucks at my office, and it happens with fords.

It used to be on the 4th gen rams, that the manifold bolts wood break before the manifold, now it seems that that is reversed. I believe that if you are handy with a wrench and don’t have cracked manifolds yet, it would be a good preventative maintenance item to remove your manifolds and check them for being warped. Odds are they have some twist in them and you could likely avoid failure by getting them machined.

Here are some picks of how warped my new header flanges were. I never checked my first set of headers thinking that they were new and fine. Not so. I was always fighting leaks at the front and back and this is where the cracking hapChucking up irregular parts is a bit of an art form

Here are some picks of how warped my new header flanges were. I never checked my first set of headers thinking that they were new and fine. Not so. I was always fighting leaks at the front and back and this is where the cracking happened too.

View attachment 144222 View attachment 144223
Not sure how you jig these up for machining, but sure looks called-for. :oops:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure the drivers side is cracked now 🙄 go figure. Can't wait for this experience.

Jack.

Reaction score

Here are some picks of how warped my new header flanges were. I never checked my first set of headers thinking that they were new and fine. Not so. I was always fighting leaks at the front and back and this is where the cracking happened too.

View attachment 144222 View attachment 144223
i believe mine is a bit warped as well, ill prob send in a warranty claim... or go with kooks if they ever release the longtube no tune greencat one for the 2021

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Manifold kits with all parts are about $100 from the dealer
My understanding is that you have to heat-cycle the manifolds a few times for them to find their resting state/shape. I assume you could do this in a high temp oven or run them for a few thousand miles and then remove them to machine the flange. Either way, fresh manifolds do not emilinate the cause of failure which is the metal changing shape over time(heat cycles).

I’m already stuck with shorty headers and I tossed my heat shields and hardware. Once I swap out my new headers, I’ll have a used set available for cheap if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
How much you pay for the cnc service?
My business neighbor is a machine shop who welded my cracked drivers side header(still good). He did it after hours and charged me $170.
Our maintenance shop has a large diameter sanding disk which we use to grind down the warped manifolds on our company trucks. I considered this route but I wanted my stainless flanges machined.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m already stuck with shorty headers and I tossed my heat shields and hardware. Once I swap out my new headers, I’ll have a used set available for cheap if anyone is interested.

I'm curious. Having gotten rid of the heat shields, do you find any problem with melting nearby plastic parts like wiring or hoses?

Users who are viewing this thread