5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..yeah, it'd be nice.

Driver's was leaking in April @ 35k, took till end of July to get the part in.. now my passenger side is leaking @ 40k. I really don't feel like dealing with this **** on a 2 1/2yr old truck.

Vulpes

Reaction score
I took my 2020 in back in June. I actually used to work at the dealer that I took it to as a service writer as well, so I still am in good standing with the service director as well. They diag'ed and said cracked passenger manifold. Part has been on order since then with no ETA. I finally broke down an bought JBA shorty headers and am having a friends shop do the install for me this coming monday.

A friend of mine also knows a service manager in another state that just let him know that the manifolds will be a recall now as well, due to possible C02 entering the cabin. Early stages of that process so i would think IF it does indeed spark a recall, everyone would see that in the coming months.

Either way, i am putting shorty headers on, and I hope that stellantis will at least comp the cost of install for me. Ideally If they do recall it, I will try to push them to cover the cost of the headers and labor as well, because there is no availability and it technically could be considered a safety issue.
You'll like the JBA's, they permanently solved both of my split-down-the-middle exhaust manifolds. Maybe RAM can start installing pillows that pop out of the head rests when the CO reaches levels that cause the ole' sleepy time in the truck cabins! Let us know how the headers work out, and if yo hear anythign more on the recall.

2020Patriot

Reaction score
You'll like the JBA's, they permanently solved both of my split-down-the-middle exhaust manifolds. Maybe RAM can start installing pillows that pop out of the head rests when the CO reaches levels that cause the ole' sleepy time in the truck cabins! Let us know how the headers work out, and if yo hear anything more on the recall.

Did it change your exhaust tone a decent amount with the headers installed? I'm sure that the stock cats will limit the volume increase some, but id hate to think that I'm spending this much to fix it outside of the warranty coverage and not get some kind of enjoyment(other than the tick being fixed) by putting headers on.

I would have loved to do longtubes, but no way i was spending the money for catted longtubes, and i wasnt going to go catless and then have to spend the dough on tuning too.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Did it change your exhaust tone a decent amount with the headers installed? I'm sure that the stock cats will limit the volume increase some, but id hate to think that I'm spending this much to fix it outside of the warranty coverage and not get some kind of enjoyment(other than the tick being fixed) by putting headers on.

I would have loved to do longtubes, but no way i was spending the money for catted longtubes, and i wasnt going to go catless and then have to spend the dough on tuning too.
Let's see, with stock cats & exhaust:
  • Might be a tad louder on WOT, but this is a completely subjective and unscientific observation on my part.
  • The headers do have the steroetypical "pinging" sound I remember from every set of headers I've put on a vehicle.
  • Still lays me back in the seat when I mash the loud pedal, "feels" like a tad more torque, but I never took it to the strip for before and after timeslips.
  • Was angry-shopping when I bought them... <grumbling under my breath - "Stupid RAM defect, I'll FIX YOU!">.
Although, all the data I've seen says longtubes make more ponies and torque.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would suggest that everyone interested subscribe to this thread and the first one to get a passenger side manifold report back, so we can call for an appt.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would suggest that everyone interested subscribe to this thread and the first one to get a passenger side manifold report back, so we can call for an appt.
Parts can be ordered now, the manifold has to be ordered "special handling", dealers are allowed 2 every 7 days. Issue is some parts people can't ordered them correctly and the order will get canceled

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Called the dealer about the pass side manifold and they said there is zero wait.. part is available 2 day lead time after they diagnose it. I'm guessing they have old stock they're trying to get rid of and I don't want it on my truck.

I'm still waiting on front swaybar endlinks from April.. new ETA is second week of Oct. So I'm just going to bring the manifold issue up when I go in for that appointment. Maybe I can insist on the new part number being used. 🤷‍♂️

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just called and they said yes they could get parts? Last week they said no ETA on the parts? Whatever... Scheduled.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Called the dealer about the pass side manifold and they said there is zero wait.. part is available 2 day lead time after they diagnose it. I'm guessing they have old stock they're trying to get rid of and I don't want it on my truck.

I'm still waiting on front swaybar endlinks from April.. new ETA is second week of Oct. So I'm just going to bring the manifold issue up when I go in for that appointment. Maybe I can insist on the new part number being used. 🤷‍♂️
I is the AB part number that is available, no need to be negative

4thRam

Reaction score
Just installed the JBA shortie headers today. Much quieter than with the broken bolt on the manifold. I also had a small exhaust leak where the 2 pipes come together below the cab that I had fixed. Seems like a have a small amount of power gain. I am hoping to improve the mpg as well. On a side note, I was sent the wrong header bolts with the headers, so had to buy some others. Hopefully can get some sort of credit for this.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just installed the JBA shortie headers today. Much quieter than with the broken bolt on the manifold. I also had a small exhaust leak where the 2 pipes come together below the cab that I had fixed. Seems like a have a small amount of power gain. I am hoping to improve the mpg as well. On a side note, I was sent the wrong header bolts with the headers, so had to buy some others. Hopefully can get some sort of credit for this.
Did you have any trouble removing the old bolts?

NOLA Rick

Reaction score
Add me to the list. Both sides have big cracks. Dealer had parts on hand but haven’t seen the part number yet. 2019 Laramie 5.7 E-Torque.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked the truck up last night. I never asked what the main issue was at the beginning because I didn't care and just wanted the manifold replaced. Turns out from the paperwork that it was cracked. I'm not 100% convinced my driver's side isn't also cracked but we will see. Don't think I'll be using this dealer anymore however.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Picked the truck up last night. I never asked what the main issue was at the beginning because I didn't care and just wanted the manifold replaced. Turns out from the paperwork that it was cracked. I'm not 100% convinced my driver's side isn't also cracked but we will see. Don't think I'll be using this dealer anymore however.
Turns out both of mine are cracked. Waiting on extended warranty to approve the repairs.

2019Raven

Reaction score
Which headers did you get? I went onto JBA’s website and they had 3 different types. Might have to just purchase them and store them until I need them.

Users who are viewing this thread