5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, credit where credit is due. AFE has reviewed my pictures of the crack and have shipped me a replacement header for the driver's side. No hassle of returning a broken part, they simply replaced the defective unit. Good on them.
These days you're not necessarily paying for quality, but rather customer service. I had a similar experience with my Borla exhaust, initial fitment was terrible but they fixed no questions asked.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Companies must make a good profit margin

doing it twice.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Companies must make a good profit margin

doing it twice.
Quality production has an exponential cost factor. Companies make more money by making a 99% product and warrantying 1% of them rather than making something that will never need a warranty. (I pulled these figures out of my ***, in reality it can be any % but I just wanted to keep it simple).

RAMREB

Reaction score
Has anyone who replaced the manifolds themselves been able to source a kit with the manifold such as the 68591572AA lately? my RH side is leaking due to broken manifold stud. I can't afford headers right now.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone who replaced the manifolds themselves been able to source a kit with the manifold such as the 68591572AA lately? my RH side is leaking due to broken manifold stud. I can't afford headers right now.
If you are out of warranty, you can’t afford cast iron from the dealer?

Ramjack

Reaction score
Well I have installed the JBA shorty headers. What a pain that was . Don’t recommend it unless you have tiny hands and long arms. I will post pictures when I get home.
Damn, man. You posted on 5/18 that you were "considering" going with aftermarket headers. The next post was early morning on 5/23 that you were DONE with the install (even though it was a PITA). I'm impressed: That's serious gettin'-it-dunnage !!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a set of factory manifolds I took off in atlanta ga area

RAMREB

Reaction score
If you are out of warranty, you can’t afford cast iron from the dealer?
The part number kit I posted is very affordable coming in at less that $80. It’s Not available from the 3 dealerships parts departments I talked to on Saturday.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I installed my repaired AFE shorties. Ceramic coating seems to be holding up this time.

This time I chose to use hex socket set screws(m8 x1.25 x 40mm) and locking stainless nuts rather than bolts. If I were to do it again I would use 45mm to bottom out in the hole. I can say that this fastener combo made installation much easier.

After 50mi I had a few leaks and found that the only nuts to loosen were rear uppers on both sides.

Attachments

• 0F56C16E-74F2-4B91-9751-CAF73DF1B38F.jpeg
    0F56C16E-74F2-4B91-9751-CAF73DF1B38F.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 77
  • CE48C26E-0D99-4CD1-983D-1694A98FDA08.jpeg
    CE48C26E-0D99-4CD1-983D-1694A98FDA08.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 76
  • C7AC8325-34A2-4799-A8C6-82606056EA57.jpeg
    C7AC8325-34A2-4799-A8C6-82606056EA57.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 77

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Swapping factory manifolds is rather easy compared to the headers.
If I were you, I would strongly consider getting some of the factory manifolds ceramic coated to help with the heat. Maybe they will last longer that way(they should in theory).

RAMREB

Reaction score
Swapping factory manifolds is rather easy compared to the headers.
If I were you, I would strongly consider getting some of the factory manifolds ceramic coated to help with the heat. Maybe they will last longer that way(they should in theory).
I would love to do the headers but just can't justify the money right now. I actually do not even have a cracked manifold. The only reason I am doing this is because the pass side manifold was leaking at the 70k mark. The reason I determined was the technician that performed the loose ground bolt recall when my truck was relatively new over torqued one of the studs that retains the heat shield and broke it off. Of course it did not immediately start leaking and finally did give out when the truck came out of warranty. This was a long time ago and I was not going to go down that road with the dealership of finger pointing. It only took about an hour to remove so I'll just reinstall with new gaskets and hardware and deal with it down the road. I would replace with a new manifold but cannot source them at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPEG
    IMG_3148.JPEG
    331.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3147.JPEG
    IMG_3147.JPEG
    214.1 KB · Views: 73

RAMREB

Reaction score
Job is complete. Something I learned today while visiting the dealership parts department that could have been already covered in this thread is that they changed the manifold setup with tie bars tying the exhaust manifold bolts together. I have no evidence to prove this and its a theory but I could see that this could cause the manifold to crack instead of breaking an exhaust manifold bolt like these trucks are traditionally know to do. My truck did not have the tie bars and I put it back together without installing them. Just rolled over 70,000 miles

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Job is complete. Something I learned today while visiting the dealership parts department that could have been already covered in this thread is that they changed the manifold setup with tie bars tying the exhaust manifold bolts together. I have no evidence to prove this and its a theory but I could see that this could cause the manifold to crack instead of breaking an exhaust manifold bolt like these trucks are traditionally know to do. My truck did not have the tie bars and I put it back together without installing them. Just rolled over 70,000 miles
Well, in the big picture, this would definitely be cheaper and easier to warranty.

Ramjack

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the tie bar? To somehow reduce stress on the bolts?

patriot_tech

Reaction score
Well, I guess I am in this boat too.... Exhaust seemed real loud on passenger side. Truck has 65k on it. Dealer looked at it 2 weeks ago, head tech walked out to my truck and instantly said both sides were cracked. Parts not available until end of June. Luckily, I have an extended warranty.

CopterDoctor

Reaction score
Well we can put my name on the list. 18,000 miles and the driver side bolt head broke and caused the exhaust manifold to warp. Checked vehicle in on Wednesday afternoon and the part came in on Monday. It is at the dealer now being replaced.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Called the dealer to see if there was an update.. apparently my manifold came in but they were waiting on the swaybar endlinks before calling me. The endlinks ETA is now Sept!!! So who knows how long I've been dealing with the chugging / ticking sound while my manifold was sitting on their shelf. She goes under the wrench Monday.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Curious, On the ones that have dealt with the cracked manifold issues; how often have you towed on the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread