5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exclusive: 7.0L V8 Rebel and 6.2 SC Rebel will have different names

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
devildodge said:
This one gives credit to the wrong people. Well, they give credit to motor1 who gave the proper credit.

@VoiceOfReason I didn't get a chance to watch the video, but we have been told a street truck is in the works...interesting.
Not the first one I've seen that gave credit to Motor1. Thats ok, we will be the first with more information again when we get it.
1f609.png

sportcoupe

Reaction score
VoiceOfReason said:
Why are they claiming a street/track oriented TRX?Are they going after an STS market?https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stadium+truck+series
I'm new here and first I'd like to thank you for your service (avatar is extremely respectable). I have 9 years on the Marine wing side.

I certainly see the TR being off-road and the TRX with hellcat being an on-road, track type truck. That's what they did to the grand Cherokee Trackhawk with hellcat engine.

Remember the Dodge SRT-10 with the Viper V10 engine? It was a street truck in every sense.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
That's an interesting way to do it, but then i'd think the off-road with the 7.0 would be the TRX with the street/sport oriented hellcat motor the TR model. That would make the offroad one lined up directly with the Raptor (more power, 35" tires, 2" lift over standard rebel) and be able to use mostly stock components except suspension and maybe rear axle (similar to TRX concept). Stock 14.9" brakes, transfer case, and 8hp75 may be all up to the task of "only" 520 hp considering concept had 575. THis would allow competitive pricing with Raptor starting in 50k range. Current Rebel quad 4x4 starts at 45k

Then the "trackhawk" truck would be more street oriented sport truck like SRT-10 was with mostly current trackhawk components (8hp95, larger brakes...) and have nothing to compare it with completely owning that segment.....hmmmm

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Rustydodge said:
That's an interesting way to do it, but then i'd think the off-road with the 7.0 would be the TRX with the street/sport oriented hellcat motor the TR model. That would make the offroad one lined up directly with the Raptor (more power, 35" tires, 2" lift over standard rebel) and be able to use mostly stock components except suspension and maybe rear axle (similar to TRX concept). Stock 14.9" brakes, transfer case, and 8hp75 may be all up to the task of "only" 520 hp considering concept had 575. THis would allow competitive pricing with Raptor starting in 50k range. Current Rebel quad 4x4 starts at 45k

Then the "trackhawk" truck would be more street oriented sport truck like SRT-10 was with mostly current trackhawk components (8hp95, larger brakes...) and have nothing to compare it with completely owning that segment.....hmmmm
I like that idea.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
sportcoupe said:
I'm new here and first I'd like to thank you for your service (avatar is extremely respectable). I have 9 years on the Marine wing side.

I certainly see the TR being off-road and the TRX with hellcat being an on-road, track type truck. That's what they did to the grand Cherokee Trackhawk with hellcat engine.

Remember the Dodge SRT-10 with the Viper V10 engine? It was a street truck in every sense.
Thank you as well for your service.
I have seen some demand for a street oriented truck, but what I have not seen are insider hints that any such thing is in the works. People have asked and the response was consistently negative. It would surprise me to see a street oriented TRX as it's main attraction was the overall look and power, characteristic of the 6" wider track, flared fenders, increased clearance and travel, suspension, 37" tires, etc. and of course, Hellcat in a truck (finally).The Trackhawk makes sense because SUVs are primarily road going vehicles with some snow and off-road capability so it made sense for a track oriented SUV to sacrifice some of the lesser used characteristics of regular SUVs. I would be surprised, and I think some would be disappointed, to see that approach with this truck - no objection to another truck being street oriented (though, historically, they have faded quickly - all three Ford, GM, and FCA dropped them from their lineups for a reason - they would not have abandoned them if they were making money on them).

I have seen some interest on-line for a drag truck, but nowhere near the thundering roar that came from TRX enthusiasts. There is some interest, but I don't know that there is enough interest to sustain a project dedicated to that niche. It is similar to some science fiction cable programs where a show may have a very enthusiastic following but from so small a segment of the population that it doesn't survive no matter how loved by its relatively small fan base. I'd like to see people who want one get one, but I don't know that there is enough demand to justify the effort and expense.

We will see though. I have heard rumors of Hellcats in trucks tooling around Detroit, but no one was ever able to present anything conclusive about what they were doing and the rumors were vague at best.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Doubtful, I think carbuzz is just putting their own spin on it.
Agreed - and others recirculated the rumor. But who knows - if, after the TRX comes out, there is a clamoring for a Truckhawk, and they can make money selling it, I say go for it.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
VoiceOfReason said:
Agreed - and others recirculated the rumor. But who knows - if, after the TRX comes out, there is a clamoring for a Truckhawk, and they can make money selling it, I say go for it.
I agree 100%, while I definitely like the idea of the TRX and think it's going to be awesome a "Truckhawk" would be right up my alley.

sportcoupe

Reaction score
I didn't come up with the TR being a 7.0L off-road and the TRX being the hellcat street truck. The links provided earlier stated that. It is highly unlikely the street truck will be on 37's also. I can only hope the off-road truck is on 37's like the red concept TRX from 2016 everyone has seen. I don't care for the spare tires taking up half the bed though. That would get removed if it came like that.

Now they could have it backwards, the TRX could get the 7.0L and be the off-road truck. Likewise the TR would be the on-road hellcat on street tires. It's just a name, TR and TRX, no one knows the true content yet.

unxpctd

Reaction score
While I love my 2017 Rebel I'll be looking at a new Rebel in the next couple years.
I love the look of the new Rebels.

I can almost guarantee that the Hellcat powered Rebel won't be in my financial future but the 500+ HP version is going to be right where I want to be....can't wait to see it in person!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
sportcoupe said:
I didn't come up with the TR being a 7.0L off-road and the TRX being the hellcat street truck. The links provided earlier stated that. It is highly unlikely the street truck will be on 37's also. I can only hope the off-road truck is on 37's like the red concept TRX from 2016 everyone has seen. I don't care for the spare tires taking up half the bed though. That would get removed if it came like that.

Now they could have it backwards, the TRX could get the 7.0L and be the off-road truck. Likewise the TR would be the on-road hellcat on street tires. It's just a name, TR and TRX, no one knows the true content yet.
TR is the 426 Hemi powered truck and TRX is the Hellcat powered truck. I haven't heard anything about a performance street truck yet.

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
TR is the 426 Hemi powered truck and TRX is the Hellcat powered truck. I haven't heard anything about a performance street truck yet.
Motor1 story from post 14 in this thread.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/287-exclusive-7-0l-v8-rebel-and-6-2-sc-rebel-will-have-different-names/&postID=2011#post2011

Quote "The TR could be tuned for more off-road fun while the TRX is designed for demolishing the track."

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/238563/ram-rebel-1500-hellcat/

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
sportcoupe said:
Motor1 story from post 14 in this thread.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/287-exclusive-7-0l-v8-rebel-and-6-2-sc-rebel-will-have-different-names/&postID=2011#post2011

Quote "The TR could be tuned for more off-road fun while the TRX is designed for demolishing the track."

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/238563/ram-rebel-1500-hellcat/
I should have clarified, I haven't heard anything from my sources about a performance street truck.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
People have asked and those with sources have responded in the negative. If there is a street truck project underway, it is a very well kept secret.
All indications are that the sites citing 5thgenrams.com hav addedtheir own speculation. They are well within their rights to speculate and they did admit that the street rod statement was not something they heard from any reputable source, but were guessing.
No biggy.
I have speculated many times. Given my track record for being wrong, I probably shouldn’t.
Anyway, no one here is being blamed, but beware what less reputable sources post - and even some reputable ones.
Late last year Car & Driver encouraged people to look for the Ram Rebel TRX “close to the end of the year” (2017) and with a start price of “$55,000”. C&D is a pretty big name and even they got it way wrong.
If you did not see it here and from one of the names who have a history of providing reliable information, treat it as suspect.
You can trust what Jared Balfour and RedRiderBob post here. Their sources are reliable and they don’t do a lof of speculating. They report what they know, admit what they don’t, and refute false rumors.
If you see a report elsewhere, ask about it here and they can usually corroborate it or confirm it to be false. Either way, this is a source you can trust (or to be more specific, certain members with inside sources)
I work for FCA, but not in a capacity that gives me any advance insight.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
One point of clarification, at times, members here will post articles from other sites. That is often for discussion and not necessarily an endorsement of the content.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
VoiceOfReason said:
People have asked and those with sources have responded in the negative. If there is a street truck project underway, it is a very well kept secret.
All indications are that the sites citing 5thgenrams.com hav addedtheir own speculation. They are well within their rights to speculate and they did admit that the street rod statement was not something they heard from any reputable source, but were guessing.
No biggy.
I have speculated many times. Given my track record for being wrong, I probably shouldn’t.
Anyway, no one here is being blamed, but beware what less reputable sources post - and even some reputable ones.
Late last year Car & Driver encouraged people to look for the Ram Rebel TRX “close to the end of the year” (2017) and with a start price of “$55,000”. C&D is a pretty big name and even they got it way wrong.
If you did not see it here and from one of the names who have a history of providing reliable information, treat it as suspect.
You can trust what Jared Balfour and RedRiderBob post here. Their sources are reliable and they don’t do a lof of speculating. They report what they know, admit what they don’t, and refute false rumors.
If you see a report elsewhere, ask about it here and they can usually corroborate it or confirm it to be false. Either way, this is a source you can trust (or to be more specific, certain members with inside sources)
I work for FCA, but not in a capacity that gives me any advance insight.
Well said. Even as late as last December only 2 websites were reporting that the 2019 Rams were going to start production in January and be on lots by the end of Q1-Start of Q2. We were one of them, others including reputable sites were predicting a fall production start.
1f609.png

I'm not putting any other sites down as I'm sure we here will get things wrong from time to time, just pointing out that our track record is pretty good. I actually wrote about what we got right and what we got wrong here.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Understood there are no hints at the street "truckhawk", but i just have a hard time believing they will do on off-road 707 hp version with 37s. The 7.0 TR is no problem and can use practically all the same components of a standard rebel just use different springs/shocks and through on some 35s and right there you'd have a truck that would clean up on a raptor. The hellcat version however would take much more effort and changes. It would be much easier to just pull from the parts bin of the trackhawk to do a more street truck without the massive tires and long travel suspension.. There are a few SRT10s around and if they would have had 4x4 I would probably own a quad cab one.

Don't get me wrong, the TRX with 37s and 707 hp would be awesome, just hard to believe

Users who are viewing this thread