5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everyone hate there 3:21 gears?

country4life

Reaction score
so everyone hates the 3:21? I don’t find it that bad as I don’t tow super heavy
And it seems more responsive and powerful than my 17 limited that had the 3:92 🤷‍♂️

I tow my horse trailer with the 3:21
And on steep hills without a problem

Anyone else getting the job done with the 3:21 gears?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because everyone always hates on the "weaker" gear ratio option. Forget that it's better for fuel and probably better for how most people would use the truck.

That's just human nature on a truck enthusiast site.

I personally would have loved the option for a lower (taller) gear ratio on my truck, but Rebels have 3.92 mandatory, probably for the 33" tires they come with. But maybe a 3.55? Either way, 33" tires and 3.92 equals 12-14 mpg in real world on these Rebels.

RedFred

Reaction score
Shopping for a truck now. A must have for me is the 3.21 rear. My previous truck had the 3.92 while my current truck has the 3.21. I much prefer the 3.21 for the lower highway rpm's and better fuel economy.

Dewey

Reaction score
Heaviest thing I tow is my boat and that’s just under 3000 lbs fully loaded with fishing gear. 80% of my miles driven are highway miles. 3.21’s are perfectly fine for what I do. Everybody needs to choose what best fits your situation and driving style.

n8zcc

Reaction score
so everyone hates the 3:21? I don’t find it that bad as I don’t tow super heavy
And it seems more responsive and powerful than my 17 limited that had the 3:92 🤷‍♂️
If you do the math, the 8-speedy tranny coupled to the 3:21s has more off-the-line grunt than the older 6-speed tranny with 3:92s. If RAM were to offer 4:56s then the axle ratio hate would steer to the 3:92s. 3:21s work for me albeit I tow less than 5K most of the time.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hate is probably too strong of a word. "Glad I didn't" seems to fit. The higher numbers play well with heavy hauling, towing, or oversize tires. Folks who don't do much of those things may be perfectly fine at 3.21.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Everyone like to b!tch about the ratio because what they have they think is the best. Each gear ratio has it's purpose. Most of my driving is on city and town streets and I average roughly high 14 to 15 mpg. On the highway runs it will climb to 16 up to 19 depending on how far my trip is. I only tow a 7x11 enclosed trailer on occasion so the 3.21's are perfectly fine for me. Don't get sucked into all the bullsh!t

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I loved my 3.21. Also, I don’t tow.
If you tow heavy, or plan on going big with 37s, then you’d def would be better served by going with 3.92. I don’t think that needs to be debated.

Each has its merits. Just pick the best tool for the job.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haul and tow with mine a fair amount.
My complaints are not with the 3.21 gears.
I don’t like the feel of a half ton truck when hauling and towing.
If you are going to haul and tow heavy OFTEN, and especially LONG distances, get a 3500 SRW and relax.

Last edited:

Bullcycles

Reaction score
When searching for my ram 3:92 was at the top of my list of must haves when Switching from a 6 speed 2015 with 3:55. Fianlly found my 2020 DT with everything i wanted but it had the 3:21. Pulled the trigger anyway and I'm glad i did. Fuel mileage increase was worth it. And highway driving is now enjoyable. All depends on what you need it for. Only thing i tow is a bike trailer once in a while. and no issues at all there.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Glad I got the versatile 3.92 gears. It allows options. I can tow nothing but a heavy truck, trailers, put on normal sized truck tires, pull through off road trails and drive the highway hitting the top end limiter quicker than most 3.21 trucks. Mine does not knock and ping using normal 87 octane gas either. Probably because it is not struggling like the 3.21 trucks to move itself. Did it cost an extra mile a gallon to have a better truck? Probably so. Worth it? Yes.

jkm312

Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with my 3.21 gears . . . . . . . . . cause they are still on the shelf at the factory.

I like my 3.92 gears right where they are, in the rear end of my truck where they belong. I like the way it drives.

Grateful to have a choice in the matter.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Glad I got the versatile 3.92 gears. It allows options. I can tow nothing but a heavy truck, trailers, put on normal sized truck tires, pull through off road trails and drive the highway hitting the top end limiter quicker than most 3.21 trucks. Mine does not knock and ping using normal 87 octane gas either. Probably because it is not struggling like the 3.21 trucks to move itself. Did it cost an extra mile a gallon to have a better truck? Probably so. Worth it? Yes.
same here!

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's funny, my 21 BTS crew cab with 6.4 bed moves along nicely on 87 octane. I'm not quite sure where you're getting the "knocking and pinging" thing from though lol

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine are great. I can tow fine, and still make 22 mpg at 65 mph on the highway. Don’t have a camper or have huge tires. So Win win

On the other hand, If the truck I wanted had 3.92s I woulda bought that.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love my 3.21's. (The thread on 3.92 vs. 3.21 and one be more manly and the other being smarter is (mostly) just tongue in cheek.)

I cruise on the highway at about 1200-1400 rpm. Coupled with the low-end torque of the ecodiesel, I get the best of both worlds: great economy and fabulous towing capability.

YMMV. (Especially if you're using the high-revving 3.92. ;) )

TyH2009

Reaction score
Mine are fine. I don’t tow super often and I never planned on getting a super tall tire, so I didn’t feel the need for them.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Love my 3.21's. (The thread on 3.92 vs. 3.21 and one be more manly and the other being smarter is (mostly) just tongue in cheek.)

I cruise on the highway at about 1200-1400 rpm. Coupled with the low-end torque of the ecodiesel, I get the best of both worlds: great economy and fabulous towing capability.

YMMV. (Especially if you're using the high-revving 3.92. ;) )
Hmmm. 🤔 Ecodiesel + great economy × exorbitantly overpriced fuel 🤨 = fail 😒. 😎

Users who are viewing this thread