5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque vs. Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

cochise111

Reaction score
I've never owned a car with start/stop, but I have driven them and yeah, they do suck. Supposedly, the eTorque system is supposed to be almost invisible, time will tell. If not, I'll just make switching it off part of motion of moving the dial from Park to Drive...
I have about 8k miles on my '20 Laramie with eTorque. Most of the time the start/stop is pretty seemless, but there are times when the truck lurches forward. I mostly feel this when I'm sitting in traffic and I release the brake to move forward a short distance. At times, it feels as if I will bump the vehicle in front of me. I usually turn it off in heavy traffic.

brettguercio

Reaction score
What I've gathered, ET helps smooth shifts, and gets you off the line a little quicker. Fuel economy is about the same as non ET hemi's. The ET system has already been having issues for people such as freezing pulley when in operation, shutting down on the highway. I didn't want auto start stop. I didn't want to push a button, 33 gallon fuel tank not available with the ET system.
I have 33 gallon tank and et

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe the etorque comes with the 23 gal. tank and the standard hemi with 26 gal. tank. Not disagreeing with 33 gallon tank.
Why a 23 and a 26? Must be a reason somewhere!

My etorque truck came std with the 26 gallon tank

killerformula

Reaction score
I ordered an ETorque 22 Laramie with the 6 foot bed. Been driving it for about 3000 miles now. It does have the 33 gallon tank, I can verify that you can get one with ET..

I don't think it makes a ton of difference, but I don't have much to compare it too. Towing a trailer I did feel like i had good out of the hole torque; which is good because the Hemi is a pretty rappy motor (torque peak is in the 4000 range). I do think the start stop is pretty sophisticated. I turn it off on most cars, I haven't touched it on this one.

I did think about getting it on my truck for all the reasons discussed above. IN fact, the reason I got a Ram in the first place was I didn't trust the ford platform of 6 cylinders, 2 turbos, 12 injectors and potentially a hybrid battery and motor. Too much BS to go wrong. Just give me a pushrod V8 and call it a day. None of us are winning races with 3 ton vehicles anyway.

The reasons I did like the system were the off line torque was some of the things it is designed to do. I like the idea of rev matching the motor up and down, in theory this should save a good deal of wear and tear on the trans. I like the idea of regenerative braking too, saves wear and tear on my pads and rotors. Also, with the 48v battery pack, I saw a guy from the wrangler forums who had converted his into a poor-man's generator to power things in his truck (almost like the ford powerboost does, but to a lesser degree). He says it works great for that purpose and it was easy to do.

So for me it was a little bit about the mileage, but more about the other functions of the system.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered an ETorque 22 Laramie with the 6 foot bed. Been driving it for about 3000 miles now. It does have the 33 gallon tank, I can verify that you can get one with ET..

I don't think it makes a ton of difference, but I don't have much to compare it too. Towing a trailer I did feel like i had good out of the hole torque; which is good because the Hemi is a pretty rappy motor (torque peak is in the 4000 range). I do think the start stop is pretty sophisticated. I turn it off on most cars, I haven't touched it on this one.

I did think about getting it on my truck for all the reasons discussed above. IN fact, the reason I got a Ram in the first place was I didn't trust the ford platform of 6 cylinders, 2 turbos, 12 injectors and potentially a hybrid battery and motor. Too much BS to go wrong. Just give me a pushrod V8 and call it a day. None of us are winning races with 3 ton vehicles anyway.

The reasons I did like the system were the off line torque was some of the things it is designed to do. I like the idea of rev matching the motor up and down, in theory this should save a good deal of wear and tear on the trans. I like the idea of regenerative braking too, saves wear and tear on my pads and rotors. Also, with the 48v battery pack, I saw a guy from the wrangler forums who had converted his into a poor-man's generator to power things in his truck (almost like the ford powerboost does, but to a lesser degree). He says it works great for that purpose and it was easy to do.

So for me it was a little bit about the mileage, but more about the other functions of the system.
There's a guy on YouTube, he does the high mileage Ram videos, still had factory pads after over 120K miles, says he's pretty sure that's thanks to the eTorque.

Mad Cow

Reaction score

Great explanation, and great points. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable having ordered it. Even the detractors of the system haven't mentioned any mass failures, which I was concerned about.

Jako

Reaction score
That's because you have a Limited. Limited and Longhorn models do not get the 23 gallon tank. The standard size is 26 gallons for those models.
Thanks for the info. I have the Bighorn and when building it out (back in the day) it was the 23 gallon tank. Plus there seemed to be a lot of complaints over the 23 gallon tank on the forum. Ram's logic? Seems nonsensical.

I thought about the 33 gallon tank, didn't like the upcharge. I also factored in the old age factor. Father in law's 2011 Honda Fit has less than 8,000 miles. I've taken it on trips to run out the gas, could be me down the road. I've been using my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT to get fresh gas in the tank.

BowDown

Reaction score
I have about 8k miles on my '20 Laramie with eTorque. Most of the time the start/stop is pretty seemless, but there are times when the truck lurches forward. I mostly feel this when I'm sitting in traffic and I release the brake to move forward a short distance. At times, it feels as if I will bump the vehicle in front of me. I usually turn it off in heavy traffic.

That may be in the driveshaft slip joint. I took mine apart and greased it with Schaffer red high tac grease and feel nothing now

silver billet

Reaction score
That may be in the driveshaft slip joint. I took mine apart and greased it with Schaffer red high tac grease and feel nothing now

I've heard of others doing this too, if you have any pics of the process I'd love to see them.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I know people that have e-torque Rams (and other manufacturer's similar offerings) - some are happy with it, some don't like it, and some don't care either way. When I was looking for a truck I knew I wanted the non-e Hemi, mainly because I detest start-stop systems. The truck I found had everything that was important to me at the time, and had nothing on it that I didn't want. It wasn't quite a blank canvas, but it was a great foundation to build my truck my way. I won't criticize others for choosing or liking e-torque, but it doesn't lend any value to my lifestyle or the enjoyment I get from my Ram. 🍻

BowDown

Reaction score
I've heard of others doing this too, if you have any pics of the process I'd love to see them.
Set the E Brake and chock the tires then cut the two straps holding the black dust sleeve on the drive shaft, or just cut the rear clap off.

View attachment 102176

Unbolt the rear driveshaft flange from the diff pinion flange, 15MM socket then slide it out of the front section of the drive shaft. You do not need to remove the entire driveshaft, just the rear section of the rear 2 piece shaft.

driveshaft-1-jpg.84953

Pic isn't mine but essentially the same except I only unbolted the the driveshaft from the diff, removed the rear sleeve clamp. I greased the sh*t out of it with Schaeffer Ultra Red Supreme Grease, NLGI #2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JF2L8GE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need CV joint pliers and clamps but some used worm clamps. I used this:

Amazon.com: Lisle 30800 CV Boot Clamp Pliers : Automotive

Buy Lisle 30800 CV Boot Clamp Pliers: Tool Sets - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

lil-30800_xl.jpg

and these clamps

Amazon.com: Febrytold 12 Pcs CV Boot Clamp, 6 Pcs Small and 6 Pcs Large Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable Stainless Steel Drive Shaft CV Boot Clamp : Automotive

Buy Febrytold 12 Pcs CV Boot Clamp, 6 Pcs Small and 6 Pcs Large Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable Stainless Steel Drive Shaft CV Boot Clamp: CV (Constant Velocity) - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Just make sure you phase the driveshaft correctly or you'll get a slight vibration on acceleration from a stop sign. To phase it, simply make sure the u-joint ears are all in line. Blue circles

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Set the E Brake and chock the tires then cut the two straps holding the black dust sleeve on the drive shaft, or just cut the rear clap off...

Thanks! I will have to attempt that once its a little warmer outside.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Set the E Brake and chock the tires then cut the two straps holding the black dust sleeve on the drive shaft, or just cut the rear clap off.

View attachment 102176

Unbolt the rear driveshaft flange from the diff pinion flange, 15MM socket then slide it out of the front section of the drive shaft. You do not need to remove the entire driveshaft, just the rear section of the rear 2 piece shaft.

driveshaft-1-jpg.84953

Pic isn't mine but essentially the same except I only unbolted the the driveshaft from the diff, removed the rear sleeve clamp. I greased the sh*t out of it with Schaeffer Ultra Red Supreme Grease, NLGI #2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JF2L8GE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need CV joint pliers and clamps but some used worm clamps. I used this:

Amazon.com: Lisle 30800 CV Boot Clamp Pliers : Automotive

Buy Lisle 30800 CV Boot Clamp Pliers: Tool Sets - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

lil-30800_xl.jpg

and these clamps

Amazon.com: Febrytold 12 Pcs CV Boot Clamp, 6 Pcs Small and 6 Pcs Large Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable Stainless Steel Drive Shaft CV Boot Clamp : Automotive

Buy Febrytold 12 Pcs CV Boot Clamp, 6 Pcs Small and 6 Pcs Large Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable Stainless Steel Drive Shaft CV Boot Clamp: CV (Constant Velocity) - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Just make sure you phase the driveshaft correctly or you'll get a slight vibration on acceleration from a stop sign. To phase it, simply make sure the u-joint ears are all in line. Blue circles

View attachment 113706
Is it only the long bed that gets the two peice driveshaft? My truck has a one piece driveshaft.

BowDown

Reaction score
Is it only the long bed that gets the two peice driveshaft? My truck has a one piece driveshaft.

IDK, mines the 5'7" bed. I've read that the 2019 trucks had the one piece drive shaft but your sig says yours is a 21. I guess its a supply based decision

Scram1500

Reaction score
The two piece drive shaft is for crew cabs with the 6'4" bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/