5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque vs. Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The argument isn't "it'll cost too much to fix", it's "fixing it will cost more than any benefit I received from it." Those are very different statements.

It adds unnecessary complexity in an attempt to deliver what at best will be a very marginal benefit, and one which will likely be entirely reversed when a breakage occurs; leaving you worse off than if you never had it to begin with. That is my concern with the e-torque.

The main advertised function of the e-torque is to save gas money, and if the cost of repairing thing that does it costs more than the fuel saved then you are actually worse off for having it on your truck. That's the logical basis for the statement.

Your supercharger example isn't a valid analogy. A supercharger is a performance component that adds fun and power that you can literally feel and hear every time you touch the gas. It's the main reason you're buying the TRX...for the power. It's about fun, whereas the e-torque is about frugality. That is not an apples to apples comparison. You will never be worse off for having the supercharger on a TRX because it provides the massive performance increase that was the reason for purchasing the truck.

Furthermore, it's not as you mentioned "the metric for buying a truck", it is "one of the many metrics" a person would consider. More pointedly, it's a metric for deciding if you want to add a very specific component to your truck, and a component that comes with some fairly optimistic assumptions from the manufacturer, some of which I might disagree with.

Supercharger is a valid argument, its another unnecessary addon that can and will break, how you view it vs someone else is subjective. A Supercharger and 4 wheel drive add unnecessary complexity.

BowDown

Reaction score
Since we're on this, can anyone say why they didn't try to create an even bigger battery for the system that could cause MDS to kick in a bit more often and increase fuel economy even further at sub-highway speeds/on down-grades? I'm no engineer but it seems like that could be a thing...

It would cost more money

BowDown

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know why they can't make it so that our Rams alternate which cylinders it shuts down, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make happen...

It does that via the use of oil pressure and special lifters on the MDS cylinders. You need more complex programming and all lifters to be MDS capable.

silver billet

Reaction score
It does that via the use of oil pressure and special lifters on the MDS cylinders. You need more complex programming and all lifters to be MDS capable.

Far as I know, the exact same 4 cylinders are used for MDS. It doesn't alternate them.

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
Ram first tried to sell eTorque as giving you an additional 130 lb-ft for $1,500 in 2019.

It flopped when Initial reviews were, “I can’t tell a difference”. In reality not including gear reduction it only makes 49 lb-ft, and it’s very brief before it’s overrun by the Hemi’s torque.

Since Ram can’t sell it but they NEED people to buy it, they have gradually reduced the price to $0

Now the hope is for $0 and a magical +3mpg on the city mpg window sticker will up sales of it

And by making it the only option on the G/T package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
No E-torque here. MDS is bad enough but MDS plus auto stop/start would be even worse, especially for some with an aftermarket exhaust.

What is MDS? Noob here

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
Multi Displacement System. It’s so you can save a penny when your 8 cylinder goes into 4 cylinder mode.

Thanks! And it does all this automatically on both hemis regardless of ET? Is this when “eco” pops up on the dash?

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks! And it does all this automatically on both hemis regardless of ET? Is this when “eco” pops up on the dash?

Yes it is automatic on both. Shut it off by using gear +\- buttons. Some say it’s off during tow/haul mode also.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
In 2019 gm went to a different system called dfm. It works on all eight cylinders. Meaning it has all 16 crappy lifters instead of just 8 like the 07.5-18 engines.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
In 2019 gm went to a different system called dfm. It works on all eight cylinders. Meaning it has all 16 crappy lifters instead of just 8 like the 07.5-18 engines.

Yup it can run on other combinations of cylinders besides just 4/8

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't find a truck without it at a price I wanted. It was about $1000 difference going with a different dealer to get the no eT. Looking back I should have gotten the other truck. While I have no problems with the eT, I don't like how it has an engine braking feel when slowing down. But I do actually like the implementation of start/stop and the smooth shifting is great (the non eT shifting is still very good). This is the best and most trouble free new vehicle I have owned, but might get a 2024 non eT in a few years.
Never driven a high performance high compression car have you

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Supercharger is a valid argument, its another unnecessary addon that can and will break, how you view it vs someone else is subjective. A Supercharger and 4 wheel drive add unnecessary complexity.
It's not valid. It is purchased for the performance value, and it clearly delivers. That is not subjective in any way.

4 wheel drive is not unecessary complexity when someone purchases a truck with the requirement that it has 4 wheel drive. :ROFLMAO:

Scram1500

Reaction score
While looking at signature lines here, I see a lot of people opt for the Hemi without eTorque. As it's a $0.00 option, why are folks opting out? Are there issues with it, or some other reason? I can't imagine why someone would give up better mileage and more power when it's basically free.
It's free now, but not later. Not saying there are failures, but we know what happens to batteries after a while.

Jako

Reaction score
It's free now, but not later. Not saying there are failures, but we know what happens to batteries after a while.
I have the life time warranty (no longer available). There was some discussion as to whether or not etorque was covered (unlimited miles/time). It is not. New model, new technology (etorque) and limited warranty in relation to the life time warranty was enough for me to stick with the standard hemi. The etoque was also a $ upcharge but did not factor in my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread