5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque vs. Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
While looking at signature lines here, I see a lot of people opt for the Hemi without eTorque. As it's a $0.00 option, why are folks opting out? Are there issues with it, or some other reason? I can't imagine why someone would give up better mileage and more power when it's basically free.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I've gathered, ET helps smooth shifts, and gets you off the line a little quicker. Fuel economy is about the same as non ET hemi's. The ET system has already been having issues for people such as freezing pulley when in operation, shutting down on the highway. I didn't want auto start stop. I didn't want to push a button, 33 gallon fuel tank not available with the ET system.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I selected eTorque and the 33 gallon tank. Only thing the 33 gallon tank forced me to do was select an option package.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I selected eTorque and the 33 gallon tank. Only thing the 33 gallon tank forced me to do was select an option package.

Yes, that was the glitch when I was ordering …. 33 gal tank got in the way of Laramie Level 1 …. Didn’t care, as it turns out, got my special order in 4 wks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
While looking at signature lines here, I see a lot of people opt for the Hemi without eTorque. As it's a $0.00 option, why are folks opting out? Are there issues with it, or some other reason? I can't imagine why someone would give up better mileage and more power when it's basically free.
I like to feel my shifts

I do not like my engine to stop when I stop at a signal or sign

I do not like the idea of having a 48 volt battery in my cabin

one or two miles per gallon is not worth anything to me

I like to have a regular alternator

the thing is just ugly under the hood.

I don't trust the belt to not break

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What I've gathered, ET helps smooth shifts, and gets you off the line a little quicker. Fuel economy is about the same as non ET hemi's. The ET system has already been having issues for people such as freezing pulley when in operation, shutting down on the highway. I didn't want auto start stop. I didn't want to push a button, 33 gallon fuel tank not available with the ET system.
Very few eTorque problems have been reported here (relative to other issues and the 50K+ members here).

Fuel economy is a small but measurable amount better, as calculated from thousands of trucks reporting on Fuelly.

You are incorrect about the 33-gallon tank. It’s an option on any truck. See my signature.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very few eTorque problems have been reported here (relative to other issues and the 50K+ members here).

Fuel economy is a small but measurable amount better, as calculated from thousands of trucks reporting on Fuelly.

You are incorrect about the 33-gallon tank. It’s an option on any truck. See my signature.
Seems you are correct about the fuel tank. I did a build on the ram site with an et hemi, bumped me to the regular hemi. Now It lets me pick et hemi with 33 gallon tank. 🤬 ram site lol

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
157,000 problem free miles with my 2012 Hemi …. Auto stop just f$ckin sucks …. I’ll have my Hemi plain please … JMO

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It was not a $0.00 option when I bought mine.

It was also the first year of the new technology and I wasn't eager to be a guinea pig. It turns out the eTorque system has been largely troublefree so far - it seems I see fewer problems reported about it than I do about the 12" screen UConnect - so I picked wrong. But I don't regret it enough to trade up to a new pickup.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree with this statement
Add ‘em up. I was one of the first 100 or so members here and had one of the first eTorque trucks delivered in DFW, so I’ve been following them closely for the past 3+ years. As with any tech, I also see a lot of problems unrelated to eTorque blamed on the system until the real cause is identified.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
I've never owned a car with start/stop, but I have driven them and yeah, they do suck. Supposedly, the eTorque system is supposed to be almost invisible, time will tell. If not, I'll just make switching it off part of motion of moving the dial from Park to Drive...

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like it, don’t like it, problems, no problems …. Just didn’t want it, don’t have it, and I’m happy …. Hemi with no Auto-Stop and no E-Flop is best of all worlds

Mad Cow

Reaction score
I like to feel my shifts

I do not like my engine to stop when I stop at a signal or sign

I do not like the idea of having a 48 volt battery in my cabin

one or two miles per gallon is not worth anything to me

I like to have a regular alternator

the thing is just ugly under the hood.

I don't trust the belt to not break
You'd have been mortified with my high school truck, a 1962 Ford unibody. The gas tank was behind the seat, you could hear it slosh around as you drove... :p

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You also have to remember that it was not free until recently. When I got my '20 it was $200, in '19 I think it was like $1500. So that likely factored into some decisions.
I've never owned a car with start/stop, but I have driven them and yeah, they do suck. Supposedly, the eTorque system is supposed to be almost invisible, time will tell. If not, I'll just make switching it off part of motion of moving the dial from Park to Drive...
I hate start/stop systems (owned a couple, driven a few others) and my ET Hemi is the first where I don't immediately switch it off within a few minutes. Not exactly 'seamless' in my experience (nor the shifts), but still very good.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
I bought one for the same reasons as OP was interested in... Ultimately, I feel the fuel savings is from sitting idle and the auto-shutoff.

I drive short distances and stop very frequently, so I actually really like the shut down. Kicks on much more quickly than the Pacifica and more smoothly. Keepsv running if it can't keep engine temp up for cabin heat or if it can't keep AC cool enough.

Problem free here.

It does make accelerating from a stop with a trailer quicker, so that's nice since we tow frequently during the weather months.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed…I think it’s no big deal either way.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Nothing is free. :ROFLMAO:

I got the e-torque because I couldn't find a truck without one. Having said that, I don't expect to save much fuel with it, and the e-torque system will eventually break, leaving me with a repair bill that will most likely eat up any fuel savings I saw along the way. I hope I'm wrong, but that's the risk I see.

The start/stop is well engineered, and it's kind of neat, but I burn more fuel getting the truck back up to speed from a stop than I do in the 30 seconds or so that would've been idling. I save way more fuel by picking routes with fewer stop lights, and timing my arrival at lights to that they are green when I get there as opposed to red.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
You'd have been mortified with my high school truck, a 1962 Ford unibody. The gas tank was behind the seat, you could hear it slosh around as you drove... :p
no
I had a 72 ford 250 gas tank was behind the seat also
kept it full so I never heard a slosh

had two saddle tank with 50 gallons each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread