5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque vs. Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, it definitely replaces the alternator, but I do not believe it replaces the starter (it takes over for it most times, but it's still there). It definitely doesn't replace the standard 12v batt, it actually helps charge it as part of it's normal operation.

As with anything made by us goofy humans, it's had some issues but is actually really solid overall. Usually the 3-4 year mark is where most issues have come up and in turn been dealt with, which is where we're at with eTorque.
Correct, it does replace the alternator. But not the starter or 12v main battery. The etorque gen/motor is only used to start the engine during stop/start. The regular starter is used when starting the engine with the fob or the push button.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
When I got my truck, I didn't know anything about the e-torque system, and it really didn't matter to me. The only reason I was even getting a truck was to pull a travel trailer, so the extra torque the e-Torque provides was a big selling point for me. I actually like the auto start-stop, but can easily turn it of with the push of a button if I choose.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn't the eTorque system replace the starter, alternator and traditional 12 volt battery? Three things that traditionally have a fairly high failure rate. What issues has the system had since it came out? Is it buggy or has it had issues in the three years since it's been out?

You still have a 12V battery and starter for cold starts. The traditional alternator is replaced with an electric generator motor with belt drive and accompanied by the 48V battery pack. This handled the A.S.S, and rolling assistance from a dead stop.

jjmcmanu

Reaction score
What I've gathered, ET helps smooth shifts, and gets you off the line a little quicker. Fuel economy is about the same as non ET hemi's. The ET system has already been having issues for people such as freezing pulley when in operation, shutting down on the highway. I didn't want auto start stop. I didn't want to push a button, 33 gallon fuel tank not available with the ET system.
I have ET, wanted it because I wanted more power/torque but I don't notice it (must admit I have nothing to compare it to). Downside I agree it could cause problems down the road, just another thing to break. Not true about the gas tank though, I have 33 gallon and ET (2019 Laramie Longhorn). You can also turn off the auto start/stop so that's a non-issue.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While looking at signature lines here, I see a lot of people opt for the Hemi without eTorque. As it's a $0.00 option, why are folks opting out? Are there issues with it, or some other reason? I can't imagine why someone would give up better mileage and more power when it's basically free.

Ram first tried to sell eTorque as giving you an additional 130 lb-ft for $1,500 in 2019.

It flopped when Initial reviews were, “I can’t tell a difference”. In reality not including gear reduction it only makes 49 lb-ft, and it’s very brief before it’s overrun by the Hemi’s torque.

Since Ram can’t sell it but they NEED people to buy it, they have gradually reduced the price to $0

Now the hope is for $0 and a magical +3mpg on the city mpg window sticker will up sales of it

Mad Cow

Reaction score
You still have a 12V battery and starter for cold starts. The traditional alternator is replaced with an electric generator motor with belt drive and accompanied by the 48V battery pack. This handled the A.S.S, and rolling assistance from a dead stop.
If the 12v battery or regular starter dies, can you 'force' the eTorque system to start the truck?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since we're on this, can anyone say why they didn't try to create an even bigger battery for the system that could cause MDS to kick in a bit more often and increase fuel economy even further at sub-highway speeds/on down-grades? I'm no engineer but it seems like that could be a thing...

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, while I know the e-torque start/stop is almost unnoticeable, I had the Jeep version on my last ride (Cherokee) and I absolutely hated it.

I probably would have still bought my truck if it came with it, but I'm glad it didn't. :)
The Cherokee start/stop is not even close to the ET Hemi system (but it's also a whole lot simpler). My wife has a '20 Cherokee and we both turn off the start/stop immediately. I never turn it off on my truck.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the 12v battery or regular starter dies, can you 'force' the eTorque system to start the truck?
No.
Since we're on this, can anyone say why they didn't try to create an even bigger battery for the system that could cause MDS to kick in a bit more often and increase fuel economy even further at sub-highway speeds/on down-grades? I'm no engineer but it seems like that could be a thing...
Probably a cost/benefit/size/weight/packaging tradeoff type thing. Only so much battery you can fit behind the rear seat and that space is also shared with other electronics and the subwoofer (if equipped).

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Cherokee start/stop is not even close to the ET Hemi system (but it's also a whole lot simpler). My wife has a '20 Cherokee and we both turn off the start/stop immediately. I never turn it off on my truck.
Exact same, my last vehicle was a Grand Cherokee, had a Cherokee before that, both had the start/stop and both were SUPER annoying (the Grand somewhat less so). I usually left the Grand's on cause I'm lazy but I always turned the Cherokee one off. Felt like a T-Rex was stomping right next to me every time it would start back up.

I notice it on my Ram now cause I got an aftermarket exhaust lol but I kinda like getting to hear it growl when it wakes up so it's a win-win.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram first tried to sell eTorque as giving you an additional 130 lb-ft for $1,500 in 2019.

It flopped when Initial reviews were, “I can’t tell a difference”. In reality not including gear reduction it only makes 49 lb-ft, and it’s very brief before it’s overrun by the Hemi’s torque.

Since Ram can’t sell it but they NEED people to buy it, they have gradually reduced the price to $0

Now the hope is for $0 and a magical +3mpg on the city mpg window sticker will up sales of it
It was initially an $800 upcharge over the standard HEMI (i.e. when I ordered in 2018).

In late summer 2018, due to higher-than-expected demand, the upcharge was increased to $1,500.

Over the past couple of years, it's dropped to anywhere from a $200 to $0 option as production caught up and surpassed demand.

When I checked in early '21, the HEMI eTorque was averaging 15.1-16.2 mpg (by year), whereas the standard HEMI was reporting 14.8-15.3 mpg. This puts us at a delta of somewhere around 0.4-0.9 mpg for eTorque. My take is that benefits can range from 'negligible' to 'moderate', depending greatly on your use case.

Derek916

Reaction score
I decided to reorder my truck with it after seeing the prevalance of the technology while I was in Hawaii. I think Kia, Ford, GM, Mercedes, and BMW all have a similar type of Mild Hybrid setup now. I don't plan to use the truck for anything big but you should definitely utilize a payload calculator to make sure your truck will meet your needs. ET adds 70lbs, and other options add up quickly.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The battery back doesn't have anything to do with MDS. MDS is all about engine load.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

This is basically the Ford hybrid system; they both use batterys and inline electric motors, the Ford's battery is just much much bigger of course. But yes, combining MDS (which Ford doesn't have?) with a large etorque system that might be interesting. Though, I still hate the idea of 4 cylinders running (essentially) WOT while MDS is active, I'm no auto engineer but I have to think that's going to stress things out in those 4 cylinders eventually.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The battery back doesn't have anything to do with MDS. MDS is all about engine load.
No, but when it was introduced one of the benefits Ram cited was the ET generator adding a bit of power when MDS is active in order to keep the the truck in MDS mode longer.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is basically the Ford hybrid system; they both use batterys and inline electric motors, the Ford's battery is just much much bigger of course. But yes, combining MDS (which Ford doesn't have?) with a large etorque system that might be interesting. Though, I still hate the idea of 4 cylinders running (essentially) WOT while MDS is active, I'm no auto engineer but I have to think that's going to stress things out in those 4 cylinders eventually.
Yeah, I don't know why they can't make it so that our Rams alternate which cylinders it shuts down, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make happen...

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t want to come off as being rude, but I’ve never understood the “It’ll cost too much to fix if it breaks” argument. If that’s the metric in buying a truck, why not just get a stripped Tradesman? Those superchargers on the TRX are going to be a metric ton of cash to replace, as are all the 12” screens that many are selecting.

Not only that but also a 1 speed trans because those other 7 forward gears could potentially break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread