5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque @ local dealer

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here at the dealership now...I hope the speeding ticket was worth it!
I am asking myself, what do I want to hear SpeedyV... Perhaps that eTorque is hardly noticeable? Start-stop is lightning quick and low rpm acceleration is instantaneous but smooth? Or that it will cost a fortune in tires from burnouts!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you asked for it...an unofficial side-by-side comparison of the 5.7L Hemi and 5.7L Hemi with eTorque by @SpeedyV!

(...that hopefully meets the requirements set forth by @ExcursionDiesel.)

Up for Comparison:

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn / Lone Star edition, 5.7L Hemi, 2WD, 3.21
2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn / Lone Star edition, 5.7L Hemi eTorque, 2WD, 3.21*
*This truck had not even been PDI'd, as it arrived last night, so I had to wait a bit for them to remove some—but not all—of the plastic wrap. Even the dealer reps haven't test-driven it yet!

Questions and Answers:

1. How does the off-the-line feel compare between standard and eTorque-equipped trucks?
To be honest, this was a mild disappointment. The 3.21 is a bit 'lazy' in both cases, but I think it revved more freely on the eTorque truck. It didn't provide much of a seat-of-the-pants difference. On the plus side, there was certainly no lag, funny noises, or anything else detrimental to the eTorque driving experience. There was no downside to its operation.

2. What does the auto stop-start functionality feel like?

This was very encouraging. Like many of you, I generally find stop-start systems annoying and very noticeable. The Ram easily has the best stop-start implementation I've ever experienced. If the A/C is blasting, you would have no idea that the truck shut off. There's little to no vibration at any point. And the system restarts fast. Sitting at the stop sign with the truck engine off, I gave the sales rep a warning and then punched it. The truck spun the rear tires while starting the engine. So that little motor certainly adds some torque! This alleviates any concerns about possibly needing to start the truck quickly to avoid an accident. With 3.92 gears, you may have to be careful not to spin the rear tires off the line, especially on a 2WD truck.

3. Is cylinder deactivation noticeable on the highway (due to extended 4-cylinder operation mode with eTorque)?
We were cruising at 60-70 mph on the highway for several miles, and there was no point at which we could perceive cylinder deactivation. The frame shakers are clearly doing their job.

4. Is there any perceivable difference in braking (due to regenerative braking capability on the eTorque-equipped truck)?

I did not notice this until the end of our test drive, when I was braking a little harder while turning into the dealer lot. At that point, it felt like I was braking a sports car. It inspired confidence. But again, I did not notice this while warming up the truck or while braking at speed, e.g. on the highway. So it was a positive experience.

Visual Evidence:

I believe these photos give us the best look yet at the serpentine belt and tensioner geometry. We also reached under the rear seatbacks to determine where the battery compartment is, but it is a tight fit and I didn't go as far as to remove the rear seats to reach it (although we thought about it).

IMG_6645.JPG IMG_6647.JPG IMG_6649.JPG IMG_6650.JPG IMG_6653.JPG

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you asked for it...an unofficial side-by-side comparison of the 5.7L Hemi and 5.7L Hemi with eTorque by @SpeedyV!

(...that hopefully meets the requirements set forth by @ExcursionDiesel.)

Up for Comparison:

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn / Lone Star edition, 5.7L Hemi, 2WD, 3.21
2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn / Lone Star edition, 5.7L Hemi eTorque, 2WD, 3.21*
*This truck had not even been PDI'd, as it arrived last night, so I had to wait a bit for them to remove some—but not all—of the plastic wrap. Even the dealer reps haven't test-driven it yet!

Questions and Answers:

1. How does the off-the-line feel compare between standard and eTorque-equipped trucks?
To be honest, this was a mild disappointment. The 3.21 is a bit 'lazy' in both cases, but I think it revved more freely on the eTorque truck. It didn't provide much of a seat-of-the-pants difference. On the plus side, there was certainly no lag, funny noises, or anything else detrimental to the eTorque driving experience. There was no downside to its operation.

2. What does the auto stop-start functionality feel like?
This was very encouraging. Like many of you, I generally find stop-start systems annoying and very noticeable. The Ram easily has the best stop-start implementation I've ever experienced. If the A/C is blasting, you would have no idea that the truck shut off. There's little to no vibration at any point. And the system restarts fast. Sitting at the stop sign with the truck engine off, I gave the sales rep a warning and then punched it. The truck spun the rear tires while starting the engine. So that little motor certainly adds some torque! This alleviates any concerns about possibly needing to start the truck quickly to avoid an accident. With 3.92 gears, you may have to be careful not to spin the rear tires off the line, especially on a 2WD truck.

3. Is cylinder deactivation noticeable on the highway (due to extended 4-cylinder operation mode with eTorque)?
We were cruising at 60-70 mph on the highway for several miles, and there was no point at which we could perceive cylinder deactivation. The frame shakers are clearly doing their job.

4. Is there any perceivable difference in braking (due to regenerative braking capability on the eTorque-equipped truck)?
I did not notice this until the end of our test drive, when I was braking a little harder while turning into the dealer lot. At that point, it felt like I was braking a sports car. It inspired confidence. But again, I did not notice this while warming up the truck or while braking at speed, e.g. on the highway. So it was a positive experience.

Visual Evidence:

I believe these photos give us the best look yet at the serpentine belt and tensioner geometry. We also reached under the rear seatbacks to determine where the battery compartment is, but it is a tight fit and I didn't go as far as to remove the rear seats to reach it (although we thought about it).

View attachment 1260 View attachment 1261 View attachment 1262 View attachment 1263 View attachment 1264
Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Any difference in the hood badge or anything else.

Sounds like it might just be worth having.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No - the only difference is under the hood. Ram missed a branding opportunity there (a little lightning bolt through the 5.7L HEMI badge or something).
So they let you actually drive it?

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh yeah. The sales rep was actually going to give me the trucks out by myself, but I invited him along, and he was more than happy to jump in. After all, he's the first rep in the region to ride in one!
With the start and stop feature can you even notice it at all? Is it the same as the regular hemi?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like @SpeedyV just caught the Hail Mary pass in overtime. Our hero! Thank you, sir! GoFundMe page for the speeding ticket?? (y)

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Like many of you, I generally find stop-start systems annoying and very noticeable.

I agree! The 48V system sounded like it found a way around the old stop/start so was anxiously awaiting to hear reviews and if the tech got better. Sounds like it has!

If the A/C is blasting, you would have no idea that the truck shut off.

Did you have the A/C on at all? I thought I read somewhere that if A/C is on that the motor will not shut off.

THANK YOU very much for posting your thoughts!

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Nice work speedy.

My assumption would be that as the PCM learns more, etorque may be more or less noticeable at launch depending on your driving style/habits. Just like MDS and MPG seems to be more active/improve the longer 5th gen owners drive.

Burnout pre engine start....didn't see that coming on a full size truck with BSG. Common 3.92!

Very good to hear the seamless start/stop functionality.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you have the A/C on at all? I thought I read somewhere that if A/C is on that the motor will not shut off.
A/C was on the whole time (mid-80s in Texas this morning). And yes, it did shut off. It will restart the engine if the load from A/C and other accessories depletes the battery too quickly or too deeply, but it did not auto-restart during our test drive.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the start and stop feature can you even notice it at all? Is it the same as the regular hemi?
Per my review above:
"2. What does the auto stop-start functionality feel like?
This was very encouraging. Like many of you, I generally find stop-start systems annoying and very noticeable. The Ram easily has the best stop-start implementation I've ever experienced. If the A/C is blasting, you would have no idea that the truck shut off. There's little to no vibration at any point. And the system restarts fast. Sitting at the stop sign with the truck engine off, I gave the sales rep a warning and then punched it. The truck spun the rear tires while starting the engine. So that little motor certainly adds some torque! This alleviates any concerns about possibly needing to start the truck quickly to avoid an accident. With 3.92 gears, you may have to be careful not to spin the rear tires off the line, especially on a 2WD truck."

Users who are viewing this thread