5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque @ local dealer

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do I remember hearing somewhere that all Limited models are going to have to be ordered with eTorque going forward? I feel like I heard something like that somewhere.

It has been rumored but nothing official yet I believe. Rumor is e-torque may eventually be standard on Longhorn and Limited. When I ordered a Longhorn on 6/12 I could only opt the e-torque, rumor was e-torque would not be available again on that trim level until January if at all. And to add to this, a good point was made on one of these threads discussing this situation, if the v-6 is the standard engine and is e-torque only, then this is true. So just speculation whether you would be able to get the standard Hemi on the higher trim levels in the future. Time will tell.

dennis kang

Reaction score
Mine is a Limited with e-Toque. It has been built 40 days ago. But, it is still sitting in a storage. I visited a Ram dealership in Southern California yesterday (Friday, 7/13/18) and mentioned about the Speedy V tested Ram with e-Toque. One of senior member from the dealership commented, it may be a teaser not for sale. Do you know it is for sale?

Ramajama

Reaction score
Just insane. I don't really care for Ford but I can't help but think their marketing department is hands down 1000% better than Ram. You can bet commercials and reviews would be all over the place on a new powertrain.
Fords marketing department is also extremely disingenuous. It got them in some legal dustup over their Ecoboost MPG claims. They also do nothing more than boast the same , tired, meaningless claims.

I think RAM knows what they have here and are simply keeping expectations in check. Because people were immediately getting the wrong idea after RAM launched the DT. This is NOT a performance mod. This is NOT a towing performance mod (although it MIGHT help some with towing MPG). It is JUST a little helper motor that helps solve some inherent problems with start/stop and improve start/stop performance and it helps the truck stay in ECO mode a bit longer. eTorque will get you a little better MPGs. Nothing more, nothing less. Time will tell if it’s worth it. To me it sounds like a very clever system that could yield some decent real world MPG results as opposed to other attempts from manufacturers who want to stuff smaller, turbo engines in big trucks. All that’s proved is that the truck consumer will overlook disingenuous MPG claims in favor of having MORE POWER.
Having it as a standard feature in V6 RAMs makes perfect sense to help them achieve better MPGs.

THANKS for the review speedyV

Last edited:

rvsixer

Reaction score
Fords marketing department is also extremely disingenuous. It got them in some legal dustup over their Ecoboost MPG claims. They also do nothing more than boast the same , tired, meaningless claims.
Ford does the same thing all manufacturers who sell in the US must do by law. They must test for and report EPA mileage figures based on EPA test cycles, no matter how non-real-world they may be.

Not sticking up for Ford, as nearly all major manufacturer's do everything they can do to make the non-real-world EPA numbers look as good as possible. And sometimes get caught at it (Ford, FCA, VW, Subaru, etc. etc. etc.).

Ramajama

Reaction score
Ford does the same thing all manufacturers who sell in the US must do by law. They must test for and report EPA mileage figures based on EPA test cycles, no matter how non-real-world they may be.

Not sticking up for Ford, as nearly all major manufacturer's do everything they can do to make the non-real-world EPA numbers look as good as possible. And sometimes get caught at it (Ford, FCA, VW, Subaru, etc. etc. etc.).

Well if they follow the law, then why were they getting sued and then freaking out enough to try and reach their claims by going to an all aluminum truck? It was a big mishap. They know it. Let’s NOT defend them, even in the least.

RAMs marketing department largely keeps it highly classy and let’s the truck speak for itself.

I see your point but any dummy could see that the Ecoboost claims were bunk......well maybe not, cause a lot of people bought that load at first. LOL!

Let’s return to topic. (y)

rvsixer

Reaction score
Well if they follow the law, then why were they getting sued and then freaking out enough to try and reach their claims by going to an all aluminum truck? It was a big mishap. They know it. Let’s NOT defend them, even in the least.

RAMs marketing department largely keeps it highly classy and let’s the truck speak for itself.

I see your point but any dummy could see that the Ecoboost claims were bunk......well maybe not, cause a lot of people bought that load at first. LOL!

Let’s return to topic. (y)
Can't agree on highly classy, I think FCA's recent EPA bungling was handled worse than Fords. I don't think either should be defended, and I called both of them out in my post.

Anyways yes, back to topic, I like V8's in trucks too :) . And look forward to what e-torque does for the RAM.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An Ecoboost can deliver it's EPA ratings...if you drive the same as the test cycle. Nobody does. Turbo gas motors are thirsty if driven hard enough to make descent hp. If I was Ford, I'd advise people to slow down. That would kill truck sales...but would be honest.

FCA has been brutally honest about the E-torque system. No claims of big increases...just an incremental improvement and a better way to emplement start/stop.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dang it, they figured it out. The search feature of the ram website has been neutered, now you can’t search for ETorque or rambox option. That proves the do monitor this site
:mad:

The search function has been Un-neutered :eek:

007longbeach

Reaction score
The serpentine belt connecting the generator does in fact run to the crankshaft pulley. The only difference between the eTorque and regular hemi is that the eTorque has a separate water pump belt shown below, and the eTorque has the option of (listed in the service manual) a mechanical tensioner (like the non-eTorque) or a hydraulic tensioner.

View attachment 1287

What's interesting is that the parts diagram I have does in fact list separate part #s for the eTorque compressor:

View attachment 1288

But there is no mention of anything different about the systems (other than water pump belt) in the service manual.

What is the AC heater? The AC system works by taking high pressure, low temperature liquid refrigerant and passing it through a small opening called an expansion valve. If the compressor clutch disengages, there's no way to maintain the high pressure needed to drive the system.

@SpeedyV the only explanation I can come up with is that when you stopped, the AC demands were light enough to shut off the engine. There might not have been a noticeable change in the cabin because the blower motor speed - wind noise - will stay the same. Given that it wasn't balls hot yet outside, the air being recirculated through the blower motor (assuming you had it on that setting) was cool enough to not notice the decreased cooling performance across the evaporator.

Based off what I can see there is simply no way for the compressor to continue running with the engine off.

ETA:

Here's a timestamp in that video:

Two quotes of interest:

"and climate control airflow may be reduced" & a few seconds later "the vehicle may also start automatically to maintain cabin comfort"

I'm more confident that the eTorque system operates in the same manner as other stop/start functions on the market today in regards to HVAC. If the AC demands are high enough (actual temperature vs. desired, humidity etc.) the computer will not shut off the engine in order to try to maintain the desired climate settings.
What keeps tension on the water pump belt; how do you replace it as my wife's 2023 just through off the belt at about 10K miles. Is there a special tool or is it just really stretchy like a rubber band? Thanks in advance...

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What keeps tension on the water pump belt; how do you replace it as my wife's 2023 just threw off the belt at about 10K miles. Is there a special tool or is it just really stretchy like a rubber band? Thanks in advance...
I don’t want to sound mean, but if that is a serious question then you should not attempt to fix it yourself. Take it to your dealer.

Reactions: Av1

007longbeach

Reaction score
Oh its going to the dealer for sure, but only as I'm concerned that it tossed off a belt at around 10k miles, which is ridiculous. If it throws another belt in another 10k, then I'm going to see what a judge has to say about it and want the vehicle to have a history of being to the dealer for the water pump belt, especially if it becomes a constant issue. Last new vehicle we bought before this one was a 2015 Ram 1500 with 5.7 and 197k mikes, and none of my fleet of vehicles has a belt that doesn't have a way to tighten it. Currently I'm keeping the following vehicles on the road (I'm the only mechanic to touch them), 1968 Chevelle with +300k miles, 1993 Dodge W250 with 130k miles, 1997 GMC Savana 3500 cube van with a 6.5 turbo diesel with 258k miles, 2000 Dodge Dakota 5.9 with 240k miles, 2002 VW Gulf 1.8T with 210k miles, and my favorite a 2008 Dodge 2500 with the 5.7 that has spent over 130k Miles driving on the salty beach. So don't worry about my abilities pal.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well I don’t have the same engine as you (unless your 2023 is a TRX), so I can’t show you a picture. But you have a tensioner pulley - it’s the one on an arm, and will have a square recess in it for attaching a wrench to detention the belt.
Like I said, I wasn’t trying to be mean. But - just saying - the question about whether the belt is stretchy like a rubber band does make it sound like it’s coming from someone who has never opened a hood before. You’d be surprised at some of the things people say/ask on this forum.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh its going to the dealer for sure, but only as I'm concerned that it tossed off a belt at around 10k miles, which is ridiculous. If it throws another belt in another 10k, then I'm going to see what a judge has to say about it and want the vehicle to have a history of being to the dealer for the water pump belt, especially if it becomes a constant issue. Last new vehicle we bought before this one was a 2015 Ram 1500 with 5.7 and 197k mikes, and none of my fleet of vehicles has a belt that doesn't have a way to tighten it. Currently I'm keeping the following vehicles on the road (I'm the only mechanic to touch them), 1968 Chevelle with +300k miles, 1993 Dodge W250 with 130k miles, 1997 GMC Savana 3500 cube van with a 6.5 turbo diesel with 258k miles, 2000 Dodge Dakota 5.9 with 240k miles, 2002 VW Gulf 1.8T with 210k miles, and my favorite a 2008 Dodge 2500 with the 5.7 that has spent over 130k Miles driving on the salty beach. So don't worry about my abilities pal.
A judge is going to laugh at you, if you think a belt going is a big deal. It happens. Belt may have been defective, a bearing may have gone, or something may have hit it. If it's in warranty, they fix it, no big deal.

6of36

Reaction score
Well I don’t have the same engine as you (unless your 2023 is a TRX), so I can’t show you a picture. But you have a tensioner pulley - it’s the one on an arm, and will have a square recess in it for attaching a wrench to detention the belt.
Like I said, I wasn’t trying to be mean. But - just saying - the question about whether the belt is stretchy like a rubber band does make it sound like it’s coming from someone who has never opened a hood before. You’d be surprised at some of the things people say/ask on this forum.
Don't think that's a ridiculous assumption. Ford Focus's have a stretch to fit belt for their power steering. No adjustments, you start it on the pully, and turn the engine until it rides into the right place. I couldn't believe it until I had to do one, and looked it up.

007longbeach

Reaction score
A judge is going to laugh at you, if you think a belt going is a big deal. It happens. Belt may have been defective, a bearing may have gone, or something may have hit it. If it's in warranty, they fix it, no big deal.
So, there is a nationwide backorder for the belts. How much do you want to bet that there is a serious problem afoot. Bad design, defective manufacturing of the belt... LOL. If not fixed fast, then I would bet there would absolutely be a judge involved, or at least a class created for a class action suit. Hopefully it's just a error in manufacturing and not a fatal design flaw. If you have the etorque engine from Dodge, then you better go check that stretch belt (indeed there is not a tensioner for the water pump belt).

6of36

Reaction score
I went out and looked at mine, and yes, it is a stretch to fit belt. No tensioner. However, I looked at Rock Auto, and the belt is available there. If the dealer can't get it from Mopar, they should be able to source it locally. Just press them. There is no reason that you truck should be held up not driveable for a less than $10 belt.

Users who are viewing this thread