5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESC nearly killed me !

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, maybe more details are needed. How many miles are on the truck? Since this just happened, did you do anything else? Any brake work been done? Are the pads in good shape? Have you checked that one caliper is not sticking a bit? If you brake hard does it pull or act up in any way? Does the ABS work? Any play in your steering? Any bump steer at normal speeds? Any creaking or popping noises when you are creeping and the suspension articulates?

Scion

Reaction score
He did mention a few posts up that is started right after getting the tires rotated. I still suspect wheel speed sensor got bumped, which could have knocked a cable loose, moved it out of position, damaged it, etc. Just speculation, of course, but a good place to start. I'd also be checking for any OBDII codes.

Last edited:

LouNY

Reaction score
I believe the wheel speed sensor is in the front hub. I would look at the other wheel speed sensors first not the one putting on the brake. The best thing would be a scanner and software that could monitor the frequency the wheel sensor are outputtings while driving. If one is shifting around or intermeditantly reading youv'e likely found your culprit. It could also be in your steering sensors but I would expect a wheel sensor first.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
never got the mod thing - throw more money into a money pit (any vehicle) that you will never ever get back - donate it to a dog shelter as least it will do some good
Because some people enjoy it or it adds value to them.

Why did you get a 2019 Limited? You could of gotten a tradesman instead of spending thousands more for addition mods that a tradesman doesn't have?
See how that works?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
never got the mod thing - throw more money into a money pit (any vehicle) that you will never ever get back . Reduce gas mileage, increase wear and tear, makes no sense at all. - donate it to a dog shelter as least it will do some good
Because some people enjoy it or it adds value to them.

Why did you get a 2019 Limited? You could of gotten a tradesman instead of spending thousands more for addition mods that a tradesman doesn't have?
See how that works?
So you spend more money to get a Limited with a bunch of extra options that reduce gas mileage, money that you will never get back, and question why other people enjoy customizing their vehicles?

Most do it because they like the way it looks. Some do it because they need the extra clearance a lift and bigger tires get them. And for each of those people, the mods do add value. It may not be momentary value, but there are more ways to add value that just momentary gains.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
never got the mod thing - throw more money into a money pit (any vehicle) that you will never ever get back . Reduce gas mileage, increase wear and tear, makes no sense at all. - donate it to a dog shelter as least it will do some good
Why buy the gas guzzling pickup? You can pop the hatch on a Prius and probably fit a yard and a half of mulch in it with the seats folded down. A little rope and you can strap most anything you want to the roof (just watch idiots on YouTube).

Oh, you got a vehicle that a factory modded because it made those things easier? Or because it is cooler? Shoot, that is nonsense, should have stuck with the Prius.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guess you’ve never got a new cell phone or TV, or ever eaten a steak instead of a hamburger? That could be seen as throwing money away too

barrak

Reaction score
Lol
Yeah I have to agree. I didn't consider the 3.5" lift and 35's to be radically modified either. If I had my way I certainly would've jacked it up much more and added many more modifications but I use the truck for work and I have to remain somewhat practical.
I've heard a lot of talk about the Tazer but when I looked into it it seemed to be more about setting up window opening parameters and fancy lighting sequences that do nothing for me. The tire recalibration thing is all I want and I wonder if there's a simpler way to achieve this ? That could very well be the source of my issue. Or it could be one of a hundred other electrical or sensor issues that seem to plague this truck. I find it hard to understand how it was fine for the first 6 months after the lift and bigger tires and only started after they were rotated !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Tazer DT and its value to me boils down to 1) the newly added anti-theft layer (PIN LOCK) and 2) the side mirrors auto-fold. The first is obvious and the second is of real value for someone like me who frequents city parking lots with tight per-vehicle spaces.

As for recalibrating for modified lifts and tires, I'm not sure there's an available device that has a comprehensive suite of adjustments; speedometer, shift points, headlights leveling, sway related reprogramming... etc. I think all my Tazer would do is speedometer calibration.

Regarding your particular incident, It seems your lift/tire size are not the culprit since they performed well for 6 months. I would rather check the entire wheel well for any tire rotation mishaps. For example, any loosened wheel sensing device/cable or loosened brake assist device/cable, or improperly seated wheel, or missing wheel spacer (if applicable), or a warped disc or studs due to over-torqueing, ...etc.

Two of the above happened to me at different occasions.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Tazer DT and its value to me boils down to 1) the newly added anti-theft layer (PIN LOCK) and 2) the side mirrors auto-fold. The first is obvious and the second is of real value for someone like me who frequents city parking lots with tight per-vehicle spaces.

As for recalibrating for modified lifts and tires, I'm not sure there's an available device that has a comprehensive suite of adjustments; speedometer, shift points, headlights leveling, sway related reprogramming... etc. I think all my Tazer would do is speedometer calibration.

Regarding your particular incident, It seems your lift/tire size are not the culprit since they performed well for 6 months. I would rather check the entire wheel well for any tire rotation mishaps. For example, any loosened wheel sensing device/cable or loosened brake assist device/cable, or improperly seated wheel, or missing wheel spacer (if applicable), or a warped disc or studs due to over-torqueing, ...etc.

Two of the above happened to me at different occasions.
There isn't any app or plug in device that will adjust your headlights. Have to do that manually, which most people don't do. No need to change ge shift point, but updating for correct tire size would effect that as the RPMs vs speed will be different.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
There isn't any app or plug in device that will adjust your headlights. Have to do that manually, which most people don't do. No need to change ge shift point, but updating for correct tire size would effect that as the RPMs vs speed will be different.
My 300 has auto leveling headlights. Be glad they did not do this brilliant idea in the trucks. It's a little glitchy sometimes.

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Bad advice given his situation. They will not cover any vehicles with a raised suspension not using Mopar parts or installed by a dealer.
My 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn 4x4 has a leveling kit on it, that was NOT installed by the dealer. It has not effected our warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn 4x4 has a leveling kit on it, that was NOT installed by the dealer. It has not effected our warranty.
It will only effect the warranty that the leveling kit effects. So if you go in for front suspension issues, or front CV joints, there is a good chance they will use the leveling kit as a reason the part failed and not honor warranty for that. but, no, it will not effect the entire warranty

TKC432

Reaction score
Thank you for all the input folks. Yeah I might have explained better with the original post. This continues to happen every time I turn right at any significant speed. Always on the freeway at 60-70 mph. And here in Columbus there are plenty of sharper turns on 315 or 270 or 71. And everyone is going through them at 70mph +. As I always have and had zero issues. So I'm inclined to agree that the shop bumped something when rotating the tires. I would like to at some point make all the necessary recalibrations for the lift and tire size etc. but from what I've read and heard here to evidence doesn't seem to Indicate that it's a lack of recalibration issue. Sensor check it is. And yes. If there is a OBD tool that allows me to accurately read the codes AND make the recalibrations needed without costing me an arm and a leg then I'll go that route. Input from anyone here that knows is welcomed. The Tazer doesn't really seem to be what I'm after. As soon as I've got the time and daylight I will pop off the right wheel and see what I can see. Until then I am griping the wheel with both hands firmly going into any turns on the freeway. Thanks again to all here who've offered up some valuable feedback.

TKC432

Reaction score
Yes, maybe more details are needed. How many miles are on the truck? Since this just happened, did you do anything else? Any brake work been done? Are the pads in good shape? Have you checked that one caliper is not sticking a bit? If you brake hard does it pull or act up in any way? Does the ABS work? Any play in your steering? Any bump steer at normal speeds? Any creaking or popping noises when you are creeping and the suspension articulates?

I hear you on all these areas to investigate and I can tell you I've already gone down this list prior to posting here. All other components are in working order. No brake sticking or caliper issues. Truck has 59k miles on it so some of these issues really shouldn't be present at this stage. Everything checks out. And it's obvious the ESC is doing this because during it the little light flashes the image of a truck with curvy lines behind it. The universal symbol for oh sh*t I have read on several searches that something like this has happened to a lot of people with the 3.5" lift ..... but again the lift has been on the truck since I purchased it. Dealer installed. I added the larger tires 6-7 months ago. Went from 33's to 35's. So essentially that's been the only modification I've made and even that didn't result in this issue. Not until the tires were rotated did this start. So that brings us back full circle to a potential sensor issue unless I'm missing something. It does help having everyone else's input so don't get me wrong on this. I see I should have given more of these details in my original post.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Glad you did research it. You'd be surprised at the numerous of "My truck is making a noise, what is it?" Questions on here, lol!

Sorry you are having problems with no resolution. I really don't know unless it is a fluke. Like I said, I have a 4 inch lift and 35s and have never had a problem. I had this installed at about 1000 miles so don't really know stock. 😆

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you put your truck in 4HI you can disable ECS and do your test on that highway if you really want to confirm that is the problem.
Need to hold down the traction control off for several seconds and it will read on your instrument cluster

Users who are viewing this thread