5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESC nearly killed me !

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you put your truck in 4HI you can disable ECS and do your test on that highway if you really want to confirm that is the problem.
Need to hold down the traction control off for several seconds and it will read on your instrument cluster
I believe once you get to a certain speed the full off the automatically switches back to partial off.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not?
He's not taking 90 degree turns on the highway, and if it helps figure out the exact problem.
I think ESC will turn back on after a certain MPH though unless you turn it off.
I forgot about that.
Go 4 Hi, ESC on or off, on pavement and drive. See what happens when you turn.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not good advice. Any turns will cause binding. Will it break something? You try it out and get back with us.
I've driven in 4-high on pavement before. Truck still works just fine. I run at the drag strip in 4-high and don't flip back to 2wd when hitting turn off at the end.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've driven in 4-high on pavement before. Truck still works just fine. I run at the drag strip in 4-high and don't flip back to 2wd when hitting turn off at the end.
Can go straight all day long with no binding. Come on man.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can go straight all day long with no binding. Come on man.
Like I said, hit the turn off still in 4-high, and have made multiple passes without ever switching out of 4-high. Do the tires chatter in corners, sure but not destroying anything

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like I said, hit the turn off still in 4-high, and have made multiple passes without ever switching out of 4-high. Do the tires chatter in corners, sure but not destroying anything

Enforcing the idea that 4 Hi, ESC partial or Full Off is not bad turning on pavement is wrong.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So is it ”don‘t flip back to 2WD when hitting the turn at the end“ or “hit the turn still in 4- high”.

Enforcing the idea that 4 Hi, ESC partial or Full Off is not bad turning on pavement is wrong.
Once agains I'm not saying it's something that should be a regular practice, but every now and then isnt going to destroy your truck. Such as troubleshooting for the OP.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once agains I'm not saying it's something that should be a regular practice, but every now and then isnt going to destroy your truck. Such as troubleshooting for the OP.
The OP is talking 65 -70 MPH turning on the highway on a turnoff.

So tell us how to set this up without destroying his drivetrain or killing someone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The OP is talking 65 -70 MPH turning on the highway on a turnoff.

So tell us how to set this up without destroying his drivetrain or killing someone.
Try it, you might like it. hey-mikey-life-cereal.gif

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im waiting on how the OP should set this up in 4Hi ESC off on a turnoff from the expressway at 65-70 mph to ”troubleshoot“.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can he just pull the fuse to completely disable for this test? Instead of just being partial off and in 4 hi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online