5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESC nearly killed me !

TKC432

Reaction score
Just turn it off. It's right in your radio.

But yes it's extremely dangerous I almost got into 2 different accidents because of it, one was on the highway in the passing lane going dead straight and it locked up and I had to slam on the gas and almost got rear ended.

Also activates in the city of someone in front of you is turning and it thinks you are going to hit a car that is no longer there.

As far as I know it causes all wheels to brake, so if you lost control that's because you were not expecting it or are poor driver it doesn't just trigger random brakes on 1 wheel.

Also having a mechanic properly calibrate your truck is not "chasing" am issue. You got a lift and larger tires. You need to get your safety systems recalibrated. How do you think any of the cameras and sensors work? Even when you get a windshield replaced they are suppose to be recalibrated.

Hate the truck for problems it has, not problems you created yourself by not knowing what you are doing with it.
On the 2020 Ram 1500 there's no way to turn off the ESC other than pulling the fuse. But that controls the ABS and various other systems that aren't having issues.
In response to having this all recalibrated .... where would I go to get that done ? My local mechanic said he doesn't know anything about that and had no idea who to refer me to. And I'm not in some backwoods small town. Columbus Ohio so I'd think someone here could do this for me. The dealership of course said no way. They won't touch it.

TKC432

Reaction score
This is happening with fairly non aggressive driving mind you. Normal turns on the freeway at 65-70 mph. A lot slower than most of the people passing me obviously. And when one front wheel randomly brakes it pulls to that side rather dramatically. Now I'm aware of the potential for this to occur so I'm driving more conservatively yet it has happened again several times even with slower mode careful driving. But I'm aware of it so I can adjust my steering to compensate and avoid an accident. I understand all the input about needing to recalibrate multiple systems for the lift and tires. I asked multiple places to have this done before all of this happened. And cannot seem to find any mechanic shop who can do it. I will gladly pay to have it done if I could find the appropriate shop. So I'm kinda stuck with it I guess. It's only one of many issues with this truck. The electrical system problems alone have already made me wish I'd not purchased the truck. But those aren't potentially life threatening.

TKC432

Reaction score
I feel compelled to add that I'm not some city boy buys his first 4x truck kinda guy. I grew up on 2000 acres in the hills of Northern California and I've been driving 4x4 trucks since I was 12 yrs old. Manual tranny and no bells and whistles. Here I am living in the city at 52 yrs old and no longer want to overhaul my old 460 big block or lift my 87 F-350 another 4" to fit 44 swampers I am savvy with the older truck mechanical work. I just bought this truck because it looks better than all the other brands of the same year and it seemed to be rather hands off so I could enjoy my older age doing other things than wrenching on my rig in the barn until dawn. So here I am being proven wrong and finding that this truck has a host of issues that I didn't cause along with the one in my post here that Yes I did cause. I'm used to doing all my own wrenching. But I'm lost with all this new age sensors and computer crap. So guys I understand the desire to educate and give constructive criticism but please understand I'm not one of those ignorant new fake men with the beard and designer jeans who can't even figure out how to check his oil let alone change a tire. If this truck issue is something I can work on myself I will. This really started with the tire rotation on Wednesday. So perhaps they accidentally hit a wheel speed sensor or one of the other 4-5 sensors packed in there. I'm considering finding the wheel speed sensor on the front right wheel and checking if it's simply needing cleaning and then going from there. And the ESC system does brake wheels independently. I can attest to that as fact. So far only the right front wheel has been braking. I posted here because I know there are many folks here with way more knowledge than me. I hope to tap into some of that. So thank you for your help. I'm gonna go hit the gym now and deal with this more later. Yes I'm a competing masters bodybuilder as well. Although I also possess a degree in construction management and sales. I own a architectural design build company here in Ohio. Hopefully some of my background will help with the assumption that I'm more clueless about this truck than I actually am. Lol. Happy Friday folks. Even with all its issues I still love the truck. My wife gets jealous sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is happening with fairly non aggressive driving mind you. Normal turns on the freeway at 65-70 mph. A lot slower than most of the people passing me obviously. And when one front wheel randomly brakes it pulls to that side rather dramatically. Now I'm aware of the potential for this to occur so I'm driving more conservatively yet it has happened again several times even with slower mode careful driving. But I'm aware of it so I can adjust my steering to compensate and avoid an accident. I understand all the input about needing to recalibrate multiple systems for the lift and tires. I asked multiple places to have this done before all of this happened. And cannot seem to find any mechanic shop who can do it. I will gladly pay to have it done if I could find the appropriate shop. So I'm kinda stuck with it I guess. It's only one of many issues with this truck. The electrical system problems alone have already made me wish I'd not purchased the truck. But those aren't potentially life threatening.
Easiest thing would be to do it yourself. Buy a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. If you have iphone download Jscan, or alfaObd with Android. There are tutorials in different threads here

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel compelled to add that I'm not some city boy buys his first 4x truck kinda guy. I grew up on 2000 acres in the hills of Northern California and I've been driving 4x4 trucks since I was 12 yrs old. Manual tranny and no bells and whistles. Here I am living in the city at 52 yrs old and no longer want to overhaul my old 460 big block or lift my 87 F-350 another 4" to fit 44 swampers I am savvy with the older truck mechanical work. I just bought this truck because it looks better than all the other brands of the same year and it seemed to be rather hands off so I could enjoy my older age doing other things than wrenching on my rig in the barn until dawn. So here I am being proven wrong and finding that this truck has a host of issues that I didn't cause along with the one in my post here that Yes I did cause. I'm used to doing all my own wrenching. But I'm lost with all this new age sensors and computer crap. So guys I understand the desire to educate and give constructive criticism but please understand I'm not one of those ignorant new fake men with the beard and designer jeans who can't even figure out how to check his oil let alone change a tire. If this truck issue is something I can work on myself I will. This really started with the tire rotation on Wednesday. So perhaps they accidentally hit a wheel speed sensor or one of the other 4-5 sensors packed in there. I'm considering finding the wheel speed sensor on the front right wheel and checking if it's simply needing cleaning and then going from there. And the ESC system does brake wheels independently. I can attest to that as fact. So far only the right front wheel has been braking. I posted here because I know there are many folks here with way more knowledge than me. I hope to tap into some of that. So thank you for your help. I'm gonna go hit the gym now and deal with this more later. Yes I'm a competing masters bodybuilder as well. Although I also possess a degree in construction management and sales. I own a architectural design build company here in Ohio. Hopefully some of my background will help with the assumption that I'm more clueless about this truck than I actually am. Lol. Happy Friday folks. Even with all its issues I still love the truck. My wife gets jealous sometimes.

Lost me here with the wall of text.

Throw the reader a return (CR/LF) once in a while or most (like me) will just scroll on by the

WALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXTWALLOFTEXT

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On the 2020 Ram 1500 there's no way to turn off the ESC other than pulling the fuse. But that controls the ABS and various other systems that aren't having issues.
In response to having this all recalibrated .... where would I go to get that done ? My local mechanic said he doesn't know anything about that and had no idea who to refer me to. And I'm not in some backwoods small town. Columbus Ohio so I'd think someone here could do this for me. The dealership of course said no way. They won't touch it.
Of course they won't touch it. That would make them liable. If you want to make all sorts of crazy modifications, you should have gotten an old truck. The new ones don't like modifications.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Guys, the guy put on a 3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires. He did not make "all sorts of crazy modifications". Come back to planet earth for a moment. This is done regularly and sits the 4x4 truck where it should have been from the factory for actual 4x4 use. He didn't turn it into a monster truck.

I don't know why the stability control would be off. I have a 4" BDS lift and 35 inch tires. I drive like a nut. Mine has never had a problem and I am sure the podunk shop that put on my lift didn't recalibrate anything.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, the guy put on a 3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires. He did not make "all sorts of crazy modifications". Come back to planet earth for a moment. This is done regularly and sits the 4x4 truck where it should have been from the factory for actual 4x4 use. He didn't turn it into a monster truck.

I don't know why the stability control would be off. I have a 4" BDS lift and 35 inch tires. I drive like a nut. Mine has never had a problem and I am sure the podunk shop that put on my lift didn't recalibrate anything.
So you are saying your speedometer isn't correct?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, I have a Tazer and adjusted for the size. If that's all it takes then I guess I recalibrated the ECS. I thought you guys were talking about something more specific for my radically modified truck 🤣.
I wasn't the one who said radically modified. But not adjusting for tire size does make a difference

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I wasn't the one who said radically modified. But not adjusting for tire size does make a difference
I was not poking at you for the radically modified comment, that was just in general. I didn't mean to offend. I believe you have a good handle on what modifications really are from what I read.

But I did mean, I thought there might have been more to the ESC than tire size adjustment. I came from jeeps where stock just isn't a thing. Setting tire size is easy these days, you don't have to play with different plastic gears on the cable any more, just press buttons on a screen. 😁

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was not poking at you for the radically modified comment, that was just in general. I didn't mean to offend. I believe you have a good handle on what modifications really are from what I read.

But I did mean, I thought there might have been more to the ESC than tire size adjustment. I came from jeeps where stock just isn't a thing. Setting tire size is easy these days, you don't have to play with different plastic gears on the cable any more, just press buttons on a screen. 😁
With the electronics and computers in these trucks, there is more to it. And why having things adjusted makes such a difference

TKC432

Reaction score
Lol
Yeah I have to agree. I didn't consider the 3.5" lift and 35's to be radically modified either. If I had my way I certainly would've jacked it up much more and added many more modifications but I use the truck for work and I have to remain somewhat practical.
I've heard a lot of talk about the Tazer but when I looked into it it seemed to be more about setting up window opening parameters and fancy lighting sequences that do nothing for me. The tire recalibration thing is all I want and I wonder if there's a simpler way to achieve this ? That could very well be the source of my issue. Or it could be one of a hundred other electrical or sensor issues that seem to plague this truck. I find it hard to understand how it was fine for the first 6 months after the lift and bigger tires and only started after they were rotated !?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol
Yeah I have to agree. I didn't consider the 3.5" lift and 35's to be radically modified either. If I had my way I certainly would've jacked it up much more and added many more modifications but I use the truck for work and I have to remain somewhat practical.
I've heard a lot of talk about the Tazer but when I looked into it it seemed to be more about setting up window opening parameters and fancy lighting sequences that do nothing for me. The tire recalibration thing is all I want and I wonder if there's a simpler way to achieve this ? That could very well be the source of my issue. Or it could be one of a hundred other electrical or sensor issues that seem to plague this truck. I find it hard to understand how it was fine for the first 6 months after the lift and bigger tires and only started after they were rotated !?

So that's something you didn't explain earlier. The way your first post read, it sounded like the lift and tires were all done recently, not six months ago. there's a chance maybe you hit some loose gravel or something in the ramp that caused a tire to slip engaging ESC. And not having the PCM recalibrated for the taller tires exaggerated it. alfaObd is a cheaper option for changing tire sizes on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread