5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

Tinshield

Reaction score
Like everyone else. Was going 20 to 25 mph. Truck stalled without warning. Had to pull over and restart as it had shifted to park and engaged the safety brake. 2021 Ram 1500 etorgue with 1680 miles. I have only used premium gas since I bought the truck. Supposed to be going to Florida next month but not sure if I trust the truck now.
Happened to me once in 5000 miles. It’s an odd issue where many experience it once. That’s likely why it’s hard to track down the cause.

DeaconII

Reaction score
Took mine to the Dealership this morning. I was promptly told they had never heard of this issue. Thankfully the Assistant Service Manager knew my Uncle (on old Ram Mechanic). Told her about the Service Bulletin so Ill be leaving it with them on Monday to take a look. Nothing saved on the module but at least they are willing to look at it.

elflaco

Reaction score
I haven't been able to read all 17 pages of this thread, but I can venture to guess I have everyone beat in terms of how long this issue took to reveal itself.

I purchased a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn yesterday and drove it off the lot at 1:30. Today at 9:45am (LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER PURCHASING) I was leaving my neighborhood and the truck stalled. It wouldn't start for 30 minutes as I blocked the entrance to my neighborhood. I was making a slow right hand turn onto the main street my neighborhood is off of. I called the dealership to tell them what was going on and they told me to call roadside assistance even after I explained I had just purchased the vehicle the day prior. I eventually got it to kick over and had it stall on me again, this time while stopped at a red light in traffic. I chanced driving it straight to the dealership instead of a tow which was stupid, but they are only a couple of miles away from where I live. They told me they wouldn't get to it until Monday because they had oil changes scheduled.

They also told me they had never heard of this problem. I did a lot of research before buying a 1500 but I guess I should have been more specific with my key terms like "stalling" or "lawsuits".

This is an absolute nightmare.

Tinshield

Reaction score
I haven't been able to read all 17 pages of this thread, but I can venture to guess I have everyone beat in terms of how long this issue took to reveal itself.

I purchased a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn yesterday and drove it off the lot at 1:30. Today at 9:45am (LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER PURCHASING) I was leaving my neighborhood and the truck stalled. It wouldn't start for 30 minutes as I blocked the entrance to my neighborhood. I was making a slow right hand turn onto the main street my neighborhood is off of. I called the dealership to tell them what was going on and they told me to call roadside assistance even after I explained I had just purchased the vehicle the day prior. I eventually got it to kick over and had it stall on me again, this time while stopped at a red light in traffic. I chanced driving it straight to the dealership instead of a tow which was stupid, but they are only a couple of miles away from where I live. They told me they wouldn't get to it until Monday because they had oil changes scheduled.

They also told me they had never heard of this problem. I did a lot of research before buying a 1500 but I guess I should have been more specific with my key terms like "stalling" or "lawsuits".

This is an absolute nightmare.
The whole “we never heard of this happening” is ridiculous

rdmeadows

Reaction score
So after 4-5 months, the dealership says they finally replicated the issue. They had told me that a flight recorder was being installed weeks ago, so I assumed when it finally replicated recently that they would have info to diagnose. But I received an email from ram care today saying they were going to install a flight recorder on the truck?! Who knows when it will happen again for them to record the info, with as little as they drive it. I could never have imagined the nightmare this has been. I've been paying for a rental out of pocket this entire time(thousands of dollars) and they wont reimburse me because the truck is still in the shop. Call me crazy, but when you purchase an almost 60,000 dollar truck, it should work or be replaced with one that does. Every truck has the potential for issues, but it should be made right, and I should get what I payed for.

Tinshield

Reaction score
So after 4-5 months, the dealership says they finally replicated the issue. They had told me that a flight recorder was being installed weeks ago, so I assumed when it finally replicated recently that they would have info to diagnose. But I received an email from ram care today saying they were going to install a flight recorder on the truck?! Who knows when it will happen again for them to record the info, with as little as they drive it. I could never have imagined the nightmare this has been. I've been paying for a rental out of pocket this entire time(thousands of dollars) and they wont reimburse me because the truck is still in the shop. Call me crazy, but when you purchase an almost 60,000 dollar truck, it should work or be replaced with one that does. Every truck has the potential for issues, but it should be made right, and I should get what I payed for.
Wow, this is absurd!

Tinshield

Reaction score
I believe it’s a combination of sensors and throttle position. Something is getting tripped up and confusing the start/stop. Many of these occur on slow right hand turns from a start. Maybe inside wheel loses traction and the limited slip has a role?

DeaconII

Reaction score
So I am happy with the Dealership as they are taking this seriously. The are escalating my issue to a Star Technician. I was told this is a higher level of Engineers at Ram to look at the issue. They are also reviewing the situations they are seeing described on the Forum. So Cudos to them for looking into this. Fingers Crossed.

jvillej

Reaction score
This happened with my 20 ram rebel probably 4-5 times. Slow right turn leaving my neighborhood usually first drive of the day. Hasn't happened it a while. Interested to follw

CDP110

Reaction score
I added 2 months ago this happened on my 19 bighorn 5.7. I asked at dealership about this and they said they never heard of this happenenig. That’s a bunch of BS. This is my daily driver for work at 140 miles a day so I hope nothing happens when I’m drive by through an intersection. I’m really starting to look to change to Chevy. Lot of problems Ram doesn’t want to live up 2 and the new Moar Vehicle Protection is not what it use to be.

DeaconII

Reaction score
Yes I was told they needed it another week. The are putting the flight recorder in mine as well. They sent it home with a Tech trying to reproduce the problem. More to come. They keep asking me what was done in the forums.

Last edited:

CDP110

Reaction score
Yes I was told they needed it another week. The are putting the flight recorder in mine as well. They sent it home with a Tech trying to reproduce the problem. More to come. They keep asking me what was done in the forums.

CDP110

Reaction score
Did it Sunday first drive of day. Came up to stop sign to make left turn and it beeped and slipped out of gear and said shift to park on instrument cluster. It getting bad now happens at least once every other day. I think it a software issue not a hardware issue. Only mods my truck has is mopar 2 inch lift, 285/60/20 tires on stock rims and a new battery cause other battery failed after 73000 miles.

Attachments

• 4A2D5139-E5D1-45E6-9767-F31F22C21053.png
    4A2D5139-E5D1-45E6-9767-F31F22C21053.png
    459.1 KB · Views: 24

DeaconII

Reaction score
Sooo still at the dealership. Was escalated to a Star Tech at ram and is now in the hands of the next level at RAM. RAM reviewed the data collected by the Dealership who said their were no codes tec. The RAM guy says he saw some interesting things int he data and asked for more info. That is why it is still at the Dealership. Ill lest you know hen I hear more.

jaydiggity

Reaction score

Here is 2010 1500 w/ the exact same thing. Right turn / Shut off, no codes etc.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I have read on this forum some posts that link the throttle body to the stall/shut off. However, the above video mentions a "flap" that I can find no evidence of.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Well, after five months and 7600 miles, it finally happened to me today. Slow right turn in a neighborhood and it died. It restarted and the battery only showed 12 volts but it the truck ran fine. Restarted the truck later and everything is fine. It's extremely concerning especially with no real solution after all this time. It appears most issues see happening at low speeds but imagine if this was on the interstate. Few more times of this and the Ram will be traded faster than than it knows what hit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/