5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

hbt76

Reaction score
Thank you for doing the work the service department can't seem to do themselves. The guy I spoke with seemed to give zero ****s that I almost got in an accident last night because of this. "We are kind of busy, so I can't get you right in. You can bring it in again, but if we can't replicate it, there isn't anything we can do".

Tinshield

Reaction score
Here's the full TSB. Wonder why they're replacing the MGU for the "connector" not being fully seated? Maybe it's a flaw in the actual unit preventing a solid connection? Also, looks like this only applies to 2020-2021 models.

Last edited:

CDP110

Reaction score
Happened the fourth time in 2 months today. Came up to a stop sign snd dash started beeping and said shift to park. Is there anything new out there to tell dealership to check into? It did not trigger any codes.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happened the fourth time in 2 months today. Came up to a stop sign snd dash started beeping and said shift to park. Is there anything new out there to tell dealership to check into? It did not trigger any codes.

sounds like a different issue

Steve's Longhorn

Reaction score
I've driven for about a week now. I've had no further issues with the truck not restarting after coming to a stop. The Technician checked for poor electrical connections on the 48 volt system. Battery voltage goes between 12.8 and 14.8 while driving. It is no longer going below 12 volts. I was told that normal battery voltage while driving with an etorque is 12.5 to 14.8. The old rule of thumb of 13 to 14.5 does not apply to the etorque model. I'll post if there any updates.

phil-wi

Reaction score
Add another one to the list...just happened to me in my 2022 w/ eTorque with only 1200 miles on it.

Wanted to take a drive after work today and pulled the truck out of the garage to warm up for about 10 minutes. Took off on my drive and got to the end of my road (about 1/8 mile) slowed to turn right and the engine sounded like it was stalling. It shut off, automatically applied the e-brake, and told me to shift to park. After I shifted to park it started back up. Check engine light was on as well as the low battery indicator. Voltage was reading 12.1 to 12.0 as I drove a few miles. Came back to my house and stopped/started the truck and the voltage came back up to 14.0. Check engine light was still on after a few restarts. I ended up disconnecting the battery and that cleared out the check engine light. Went for a 30-minute drive with plenty of stops and turns with no issues voltage reading 14.1. I'm hoping it was a one-off thing, but I doubt it based on other comments. If it happens again, I'll be off to the dealer.

Has anyone ever had this happened with the auto stop/start disabled? From my uneducated guess it just feels like something with the stop/start feature going haywire.

Tinshield

Reaction score
So, yeah, same scenario I had. Just a theory but Ram changed the eTorque system for 22 and the engine stop occurs earlier than previous years. Seems to me that the system can get confused, especially on slow right turns from a stop or partial stop. Wonder if it’s a wheel slip in combo with the early engine stop. Not sure but mine did it once and hasn’t yet occurred again after a few thousand miles.

phil-wi

Reaction score
So, yeah, same scenario I had. Just a theory but Ram changed the eTorque system for 22 and the engine stop occurs earlier than previous years. Seems to me that the system can get confused, especially on slow right turns from a stop or partial stop. Wonder if it’s a wheel slip in combo with the early engine stop. Not sure but mine did it once and hasn’t yet occurred again after a few thousand miles.
That's interesting that you mention wheel slip. It was sandy and wet from snow melting at the turn it happened at. I'm sure there was a little bit of wheel slip.

I may purchase a auto stop/start delete just to have it permanently off and see if it happens again. I don't live in a busy enough area that the stop/start really would be that much of a gas saver anyway. I'd rather have a real fix from RAM, but I also don't want my truck sitting at the dealer for weeks and them telling me they can't find anything.

Jstro

Reaction score
I just wanted to post an update here. My truck has stalled 3 times to date only 2 of the times I was making a right turn at low speed. It has been about 5 months since I have had an issue with stalling. After the last stall, I started to use only premium grade fuel to see if that had an effect and I have not had the issue since. However, I realize this could just be pure coincidence since the issue is so infrequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinshield

Reaction score
That's interesting that you mention wheel slip. It was sandy and wet from snow melting at the turn it happened at. I'm sure there was a little bit of wheel slip.

I may purchase a auto stop/start delete just to have it permanently off and see if it happens again. I don't live in a busy enough area that the stop/start really would be that much of a gas saver anyway. I'd rather have a real fix from RAM, but I also don't want my truck sitting at the dealer for weeks and them telling me they can't find anything.
The corner mine happens on tends to make my back wheel slip. Mine also threw a check engine light later and the dealer replaced an O2 sensor.

rdmeadows

Reaction score

It just happened to me for the third time. This last time was when the auto start/stop was turned off, so I think it’s something else. I bought the truck new last October, and it’s been at the dealership longer than in my driveway. Ram care is useless and I am still being told they can’t replicate an issue. We have a lawyer, but it’s going to be a fight.

Tinshield

Reaction score
This has to be due to the 22 eTorque update and it’s software most likely.

bobinwa

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 2022 1500 hemi with eTorque but not sure how high the risk of problems related to eTorque. Any ideas of the percentage of trucks reporting issues?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure. I didn't want it because its more cr@p to break, and the replacment cost is much higher than a regular alternator. Doesn't seem to save much gas anyway.

sheepdog999

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi e-torque with the Mopar RamAir intake installed. Same story here... Mine has stalled several times in the last few month. Every time it has been leaving my neighborhood as I slow down to go over a speed bump. I shift it into N and apply slight pressure on the break and I am able to start it without stopping. However the next time the truck comes to a complete stop, it shuts off, applies the break, and automatically shifts to park. I am able to start it back up and not experience any more problems. Never any codes.

sheepdog999

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 2022 1500 hemi with eTorque but not sure how high the risk of problems related to eTorque. Any ideas of the percentage of trucks reporting issues?
I had a 2019 1500 etorque. Put 75k miles on it an did not have an issue. Now have 2021 1500 Laramie with eTorque, 18k miles on it and have been having the stalling issue for several month intermittently.

DeaconII

Reaction score
Like everyone else. Was going 20 to 25 mph. Truck stalled without warning. Had to pull over and restart as it had shifted to park and engaged the safety brake. 2021 Ram 1500 etorgue with 1680 miles. I have only used premium gas since I bought the truck. Supposed to be going to Florida next month but not sure if I trust the truck now.

Users who are viewing this thread