5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

Cool Dad

Reaction score
Following up, got the truck back today. The dealership applied two software updates, one for the hybrid control processor and one for the PCM. It is running smoother now. I tried to get it to stall going up the driveway and all is well. Keeping fingers crossed this is the fix.

mwoods269

Reaction score
I had this problem on 04/2023 and it almost caused a major accident as well.

April 2022 my 2022 1500 Limited battery light came on, check engine light on and voltage was jumping from 10-11v. Took it to dealership and they said they reset the system and found no errors and it should be fine. April 2023, last Friday, same issues started happening, message popped up saying the truck was shutting down all non-critical systems, radio died, turn signals stopped working etc etc. I barely made it to the dealer when the truck decided to throw itself in park as I was turning into the lot. Service had to put a jump pack on it and ended up applying to TSBs. They claim a TSB for the auto stop start was draining the battery and that they applied the TSB, charged the battery, drove 20 miles and said it's fixed

Stetler Ram York, PA applied Z49. (DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE) had to argue to get them to give me a loaner.

Between 4/23 and now I've had the check engine light come on and go off as well as the battery light and low voltage. Called Stetler a few times and they claim there was no issue and it should go away after turning the truck on/off Really?!?!? My issue wasn't a stall situation like is being mentioned most places. The whole truck dies and fails to start with a dead battery.

12/27 I was on my way back from an urgent care visit with my 10yr old daughter in the pouring down rain and the truck decided to do the following
  • Display went red and stated "shutting down non-critical systems"
  • Lost power steering going around a sharp turn and almost hit a parked car
  • All kinds of lights on the dashboard lit up, no backup camera, no high beams etc etc
  • Then bam it locked up the emergency brake and through itself in park with cars sliding out of the way behind me to avoid hitting me
  • Called
    Stetler Chrysler Dealer — Stetler Chrysler Dealership and they basically told me not under warrant even though same issue 8 months ago, I needed to call ram support and get a case # and even if I did that they wouldn't look at it for 1.5 weeks as they are backed up and understaffed
  • Roadside assistance was going to take 2hrs to get to me so I had my wife by a new battery ($300) and deliver with my tools. I installed it and was able to get home but the check engine light and batter light stayed lit. Batter voltage read 11.9-12.2 bouncing around
  • I put the new batter on charge all night, drove a few miles to grab breakfast and the voltage dropped from 12.2 to 11.9
  • Ram support case #88414885 was created and they wouldn't authorize a rental car for me stating recalls don't qualify for rental cars. I asked for a manager and was told they are all in meetings. I called back asked for a manager and was told they are all on calls.
  • Called roadside assistance again and had it delivered to Keene Dodge in Jarrettsville MD.
  • Had to install my new batter to get the truck started and on the roll back as the manual neutral override cable stopped working and would not allow the truck to move.
  • have pictures and video and plan on creating a website regarding this issue, going to social media etc. Had a major issue with a Ford Explorer once where the dealer/Ford kept jerking me around and a simple website and social media seems to cost that dealership enough money that they brought me in to discuss options to have it taken down.

Wonder if 3 times means lemon law???

@RamCares What's it going to take to get this resolved and get us proper assistance? Someone need to get killed while driving their $80k truck that decides to just stop in the middle of the road with no notice? We can't deal with only having 1 vehicle with work, kids, sports etc? The fact that this is a recall (RAMS FAULT) should automatically supply a loaner vehicle.

My old post was here
Keene Dodge Jarrettsville - I called for an update today
  • "appears there is a failed component on your alternator that caused it to fail and destroy the etorque battery behind your rear seats as well"
  • "Ram has requested diag reports that we've supplied them to hopefully get this covered"
Per my understanding there isn't a "normal" alternator but rather this 48volt system that failed.

Sounds like this is the only case I've heard of this issue? Hopefully hear something back tomorrow.

Ram support did call me back to let me know this person was working the case and going to contact Keene for an update to hopefully work out a loaner vehicle since my $80k truck is dead. Still nothing back from support........

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No. E torque engines use basically a starter generator, no traditional alternator. Which is covered under a 8 year emissions warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremys1978

Reaction score
Mwoods, hopefully they'll get it figured out. I just took mine back to the dealership. Was at the bank and the start pushbutton would not turn the truck off. Took a 2 min 43 sec video of me pushing the button with nothing happening for proof. Drove to the dealership and surprisingly it continued doing it at the dealership. While there the service advisor asked me if it had shut down since last week. Told him no, but that I installed a battery monitor to see if I could figure out why it was dying. Showed him the attached graph and that it seems that over time the battery continues draining down. I put the monitor on Saturday and also charged the battery fully. Looking at the graph you can tell it is slowly draining down since Saturday. I charged it last night for about 3 hours which pulled the voltage back up, then this morning you can see where the decline continues. It seems like the e-torgue is charging, but never fully, as the volts drop the e-torgue's charging drops with it. If I charge it, then it restarts the cycle. The blips are when I crank and drive it. Not sure if all this is related, but it a odd coincident that all this is happening together over a 3 week period.
Screenshot_20240104_103146_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

mwoods269

Reaction score
Tried getting my new battery back today but the dealership insisted that it's best to let them use it to test/fix. Makes no sense to me as they should diagnose the whole issue with the stock battery that was in the truck......I didn't argue but still don't really agree.
They did mention my case (48v system) failing/dying was only the second time they've seen this issue and as I mentioned it killed the battery behind the crew cab seats as well.

Jeremys1978

Reaction score
Picked my truck up yesterday evening. They said the push button was failing and they believe it was causing the power drain. They replaced it. Guess time will tell if that also fixes the power drain.

Cool Dad

Reaction score
Following up here: after about 3 weeks / 1000 miles I'm happy to say there has been no stalling after the PCM and HCP software updates. Feels like new again. As I'm driving I notice the voltage gauge is rock solid at 14.3V and it doesn't fluctuate like it used to. Also it runs smoother when it's very cold- as in the first 2 minutes of driving. Just thought I'd throw it out there because most people don't seem to follow up when things go well.

FCA / Ram must know about this! I see parasite law firms trying to jump on class action suits and there are a bunch of complaints online. And it's an unacceptable problem for a daily driver!! Hey @RamCares , send this one up the food chain-- A whole team of people should be fired and have their careers ended for this!! I'm also astounded there isn't a bigger recall outside of the '21 V8s. Some family driving in Houston, Dallas or L.A. -style traffic is going to get clobbered one day.

Anyway, while it was at the dealership I read all the complaints-- and considered unloading this truck, but now that it's good I'll give it another chance. I understand the technology is somewhat on the forefront, and I definitely enjoy driving it... every Dodge I've owned had initial glitches but turned out to be reliable and my favorite vehicles to drive. We'll see how it holds up!

mwoods269

Reaction score
Keene Dodge Jarrettsville - I called for an update today
  • "appears there is a failed component on your alternator that caused it to fail and destroy the etorque battery behind your rear seats as well"
  • "Ram has requested diag reports that we've supplied them to hopefully get this covered"
Per my understanding there isn't a "normal" alternator but rather this 48volt system that failed.

Sounds like this is the only case I've heard of this issue? Hopefully hear something back tomorrow.

Ram support did call me back to let me know this person was working the case and going to contact Keene for an update to hopefully work out a loaner vehicle since my $80k truck is dead. Still nothing back from support........
Got the truck back on the 6th. No signs of the "generator" "48v powergenerator part" Dealership now says they were wrong and there was nothing wrong with it. The etorque battery behind the seat was bad and was replaced. Staring up in the morning the voltage climbs to 14v while idle and slightly above during driving. Only time will tell.

mwoods269

Reaction score
Got the truck back on the 6th. No signs of the "generator" "48v powergenerator part" Dealership now says they were wrong and there was nothing wrong with it. The etorque battery behind the seat was bad and was replaced. Staring up in the morning the voltage climbs to 14v while idle and slightly above during driving. Only time will tell.
Battery voltage read out was down to 13.5v during a night drive. I said screw it and traded it in for a 2024 1500 Limited same specs but night edition. Had it for 1.5 days and now dealing with a vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel at highway speeds in and around 1500-2000 rpms…….. You can make this crap up @RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread