5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine shutting down while driving

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
how long was the truck running?
imo the coolant temp gauge shows a low temperature

show pictures to dealer

"With the engine is running and the truck ready, Ram eTorque's motor generator unit delivers 48-volt current to a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery. The battery pack on these Ram pickups includes a 3-kilowatt DC-to-DC converter. This holds the battery's charge and converts 48 volts to 12 volts so that power can be use to power Ram 1500's accessories and charge its conventional 12-volt lead-acid battery."

It was running about 5-10mins (within first 1-3 miles of a drive each time) .... After a start, I let it sit running until the RPMs drop to about 600 before rolling out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jake2544

Reaction score
My 22 G/T 5.7 Etorque is back in the shop again for stalling while driving. It’s happened numerous times now and in the shop for the second time for this problem with 5600 miles. This morning it stalled twice while driving on my 2 mile commute to work. I usually know when it’s going to happen as soon as I pull it out of the garage and start driving through the neighborhood. It will actually stall and almost instantly restart while going 20-25 mph. First complete stall this morning was while doing 30-35 mph. Died on the roadway, stupid parking brake engaged and then cranked for 10-15 seconds before restarting. Then made it about 500 more feet and stalled again, same thing, ebrake and took 10-15 seconds to restart. No CEL every time it happens. I get to work parking lot park, truck starts skipping then I got a CEL.
I agree, this is going to get someone killed or hurt. I’ve been the proud owner of probably 13-15 Ram trucks since 1998 mostly 2500 gas and Cummins with never a problem. I’ve also had numerous CEL’s for evap codes and in the shop twice for that. Start stop is always disabled or in tow haul mode anytime this has happened. I’m calling today to try to get a case started to either Lemon Law or have them buy this toilet back. I’ve never had these kind of problems with Ram. Love this truck but don’t feel confident or safe driving it anymore.

Jake2544

Reaction score
My 22 G/T 5.7 Etorque is back in the shop again for stalling while driving. It’s happened numerous times now and in the shop for the second time for this problem with 5600 miles. This morning it stalled twice while driving on my 2 mile commute to work. I usually know when it’s going to happen as soon as I pull it out of the garage and start driving through the neighborhood. It will actually stall and almost instantly restart while going 20-25 mph. First complete stall this morning was while doing 30-35 mph. Died on the roadway, stupid parking brake engaged and then cranked for 10-15 seconds before restarting. Then made it about 500 more feet and stalled again, same thing, ebrake and took 10-15 seconds to restart. No CEL every time it happens. I get to work parking lot park, truck starts skipping then I got a CEL.
I agree, this is going to get someone killed or hurt. I’ve been the proud owner of probably 13-15 Ram trucks since 1998 mostly 2500 gas and Cummins with never a problem. I’ve also had numerous CEL’s for evap codes and in the shop twice for that. Start stop is always disabled or in tow haul mode anytime this has happened. I’m calling today to try to get a case started to either Lemon Law or have them buy this toilet back. I’ve never had these kind of problems with Ram. Love this truck but don’t feel confident or safe driving it anymore.
I should also add that it’s been a month since last stalling issue which they reprogrammed the pcm for a stalling tsb.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

If you need some assistance while your truck is in the shop, send us a DM! We'd be happy to get you some help.

Callie
Ram Cares

Jake2544

Reaction score
Hey there,

If you need some assistance while your truck is in the shop, send us a DM! We'd be happy to get you some help.

Callie
Ram Cares
Thanks, just got a call from the dealer stating that the trucks fuel tank and lines need to be replaced due to fuel in the vapor lines. This is the 3rd time that the tank has been dropped. Last two were from multiple evap codes. The dealership has been great but I’ve had it with this truck.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Thanks, just got a call from the dealer stating that the trucks fuel tank and lines need to be replaced due to fuel in the vapor lines. This is the 3rd time that the tank has been dropped. Last two were from multiple evap codes. The dealership has been great but I’ve had it with this truck.
Fyi about that code

Check engine light code for p1c64.
"Hybrid performance: engine speed below target speed during auto start."

Engine shut off due to the auto start but did not start back up after releasing brake pedal and had to put in park to restart manually. Right after this check engine light was set. Connected to reader and code has been set as a permanent code. I can not find any info on this code nor this issue hoping to hear from someone with similar experience or advice. Thanks guys.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
So who all CURRENTLY has their 2022 ram 1500 eTorque sitting a dealer service dept for this Stalling problem that can never seem to be replicated?
(Besides me and Jake)

kevinkon

Reaction score
This happened to me today. 2020 1500 v8 etorque with ~18k miles. Opened a case with Ram Cares, I don’t have an experience with them but hoping there’s a positive outcome. Was turning right at a light, made it 100 feet and then I had no power. Luckily there was space that I was able to pull over and restart the vehicle. Took it to the dealer for an “emergency diagnosis” which will take 5-7 days. Confidence is not at an all time high. Very disappointed. How could I ever take my daughter in this again?

Anyone have any news?

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
This happened to me today. 2020 1500 v8 etorque with ~18k miles. Opened a case with Ram Cares, I don’t have an experience with them but hoping there’s a positive outcome. Was turning right at a light, made it 100 feet and then I had no power. Luckily there was space that I was able to pull over and restart the vehicle. Took it to the dealer for an “emergency diagnosis” which will take 5-7 days. Confidence is not at an all time high. Very disappointed. How could I ever take my daughter in this again?

Anyone have any news?
Traded in my ordered eTorque truck last weekend after the 2nd time of not getting any progress at the dealer again (can't really blame them if they can't duplicate it).

It was a great feature and worked flawlessly on my 2019 but had issues almost immediately with the 22 I had. Took a loss, but I don't have to worry about it anymore since I picked up a non eTorque hemi... And you can't get a 23+ truck without eTorque which is nuts IMO.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread on this same issue:

I had this issue come up this past Sunday. The problem first came up when I was exiting my parking spot at Home Depot.

Vehicle: RAM 1500 Crew Cab

Edition: Limited

Model Year: 2020

Mileage: 42,000

Engine: 5.7 eTorque

The engine shut off and the truck went into park. The dash message read: "Shifter Autocorrect Active".

I was able to restart and proceeded to drive about 5 miles on the freeway. When I pulled off for my exit, it happened again. I was able to restart several times until I could make it to a parking lot and wait for a tow truck.

While in the parking lot, the truck would not even idle in PARK. It would shut off within 15 seconds.

I towed it to the local dealer which was closed for New Years.

They were able to squeeze me in because of the serious nature of this issue - which I appreciate.

The findings from the dealer was the same as all of you have indicated - no error codes.

They did say that the Technician looked at the RF controller to see if there was an issue and found a leak from the rear window. They insisted the RF controller was fine.

BTW: they told me the Rear Window leak is not covered n my "bumper-to-bumper" extended Warranty.

I asked about the TSB that others have mentioned in this forum.

They said that TSB 18-091-22 did not pertain to my vehicle.

Their next appointment for a more detailed inspection is 4 weeks away.

I cannot believe that RAM does not have a resolution and corrective action for this issue. It is a major safety hazard.

If "RamCares" actually cares, it would be great if they guided us on how to get this fixed. Someone is going to get hurt and I can imagine numerous lawsuits as well.

I see that they monitor this forum, but have not provided any guidance3 for this issue - HELP!!!

Jexx

Reaction score
Question for everyone who is having this issue, does it only happen when you have the auto start/stop enabled? I haven't had this issue yet but I almost always disable the auto start/stop before I drive to work and back.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Question for everyone who is having this issue, does it only happen when you have the auto start/stop enabled? I haven't had this issue yet but I almost always disable the auto start/stop before I drive to work and back.
Jexx,

In my case, I am not sure. I tried to see if there was a way to disable the Start/Stop function when the issue came up, just to see if I could make it back home. I could not find the setting for that function. It was probably due to being so freaked out by the whole episode. I am so glad that I was not in heavy traffic or driving at night.

It is baffling to me, that Ram has not found a root cause and remedy for this situation. As many people have noted, they are afraid to drive their vehicles and even more concerned with driving with Family members.

I am still waiting for a Case manager from Ram to contact me.

I left Ford, after many years, for a better experience and I am not sure I did the right thing...........................

-George (and a fellow Raiders fan)

WJL24

Reaction score
This just happened to me tonight on my 2019 Ram with 35,000 miles. Was driving and all of a sudden it had no power, shifted into park but still coasted and I had power steering. I turned into a parking lot. Would start back up but as soon as I shifted, it showed "shifter autocorrect active" and shut down moved back to park. Happened whether I went to F or R. Tried several times. Also seemed like something else was going on. Once when I hit brake it started w/o me pushing start button.
Anyway, I disconnected/reconnected battery and then everything seemed ok. Drove a few blocks and it died in turning lane of busy intersection. Restarted and as soon as I put in gear it stalled and returned to park. Disconnected battery and made it another mile or two, then again two more times to get home. Also, to answer your question, I did shut off auto/start stop and it still happened.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
This just happened to me tonight on my 2019 Ram with 35,000 miles. Was driving and all of a sudden it had no power, shifted into park but still coasted and I had power steering. I turned into a parking lot. Would start back up but as soon as I shifted, it showed "shifter autocorrect active" and shut down moved back to park. Happened whether I went to F or R. Tried several times. Also seemed like something else was going on. Once when I hit brake it started w/o me pushing start button.
Anyway, I disconnected/reconnected battery and then everything seemed ok. Drove a few blocks and it died in turning lane of busy intersection. Restarted and as soon as I put in gear it stalled and returned to park. Disconnected battery and made it another mile or two, then again two more times to get home. Also, to answer your question, I did shut off auto/start stop and it still happened.
This is the exact issue that all of us are having.

It looks like you are still under warranty. I would bring it to the dealer immediately. Please let us know if they find anything are come back with the same response that all of us get; "no error codes".

How is it possible that no one from Ram has found a root cause and created a MAJOR recall for all Gen5 vehicles.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
all these posts should be combined

of just have a sticky for e-torque

titan3636

Reaction score
Mine did it this morning. Going about 5mph in a round about just outside my neighborhood. Cut off and let it roll to a stop and then took the ebrake off and started back up. This was the 2nd time it’s happened. Did one before about a year ago. Limited 2021 etorque. Im waiting on the dealer to get parts in to replace my bubbled up dash and fix the rear rolling break moan issues. Will bring it up to them then I guess

Jake2544

Reaction score
My start stop has always been disabled either by not wearing my seatbelt or in tow haul mode when mine stalled out. In my case start stop is always disabled, hate it!

Offworld_sith

Reaction score
I’m so glad I’ve found others. My 2021 Ram Rebel etorque has this exact same issue and I’m afraid of driving my infant daughter around.

It has completely cut off while rolling from a stop sign at least four times and the first time it occurred was actually within a week of purchasing the truck. It’s a huge purchase for us so I’ve been hesitant to consider trading it in but this is definitely a major safety issue. Each time it’s shut off has been the same stop sign intersection and at low speeds.

I lose power, the e brake comes on, I have to bring the vehicle to a stop and disengage the e brake then restart the engine ignition. Each time I’ve been left blocking the intersection. I thought disabling auto start stop would change things but it happened anyway and the dash briefly blinked service shifter and went away. No codes or anything and I just finished 10k service.

RAM, please figure this out for us. First time truck owner and don’t want to regret going RAM.

Fordication

Reaction score
One time was around 7 mph, another was 35 mph, another 3 mph, another 26ish, car shutting down while in motion, then auto ebrake is not fun. Such a waste of time going to the dealer, incomprehensible that no trouble codes are found
Happened to me last week. Turning right on a red and started to pull away when the 2022 Ram with same engine just died for no reason.

Users who are viewing this thread