5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge pulsar issues ?!

HockeyDuck

Reaction score
I’ve had the same issue with throwing the codes and putting into limp mode. Seems like it goes back to normal after turning the truck off and back on a couple minutes later. The check engine light stayed on for me the last time for a couple days but went off.

I called Ege support today And was told they have a fix for it. Something about a ground inside the pulsar. Requires to send in for them to fix it, but fingers crossed it works cause when I love how it makes the truck drive.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
I’ve had the same issue with throwing the codes and putting into limp mode. Seems like it goes back to normal after turning the truck off and back on a couple minutes later. The check engine light stayed on for me the last time for a couple days but went off.

I called Ege support today And was told they have a fix for it. Something about a ground inside the pulsar. Requires to send in for them to fix it, but fingers crossed it works cause when I love how it makes the truck drive.
Did you get the unit back? Did it work properly? I just ordered on like a week ago. Got my truck Saturday and am planning to install it soon. If it has some issues I might try to send it back and get the Diablo Tuner instead.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
My pulsar is officially out, yesterday's code in the morning was the last straw, hopefully the i3 will work better. I am excited for the custom tunes!!!

kmblackbear

Reaction score
My pulsar is officially out, yesterday's code in the morning was the last straw, hopefully the i3 will work better. I am excited for the custom tunes!!!
Really? Damn, thats upsetting. I was hoping they fixed the issues with the product. Seems its still happening. I might just send it back, pay the different and get the Trinity.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Really? Damn, thats upsetting. I was hoping they fixed the issues with the product. Seems its still happening. I might just send it back, pay the different and get the Trinity.
Let us know how the trinity works for you if you go that route.
I miss the Pulsars power and the concept of being not a unlocked PSM is awesome....just that a check engine light every two days is too much.

Mistad77

Reaction score
I bought the Pulsar last week, used it for all of 6 hours (great throttle respons!!), lost ALL Uconnect functions, to include the cameras. removed it, after 2 hours everything went back to normal. sending it back for a refund this week. Shame, that device had such promise. The guy i spoke to via email offered me the I3. I declined. gonna use the money for the Tazer DT.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
I bought the Pulsar last week, used it for all of 6 hours (great throttle respons!!), lost ALL Uconnect functions, to include the cameras. removed it, after 2 hours everything went back to normal. sending it back for a refund this week. Shame, that device had such promise. The guy i spoke to via email offered me the I3. I declined. gonna use the money for the Tazer DT.
You install on a '19? Was it a rebel? Don't think it matters much the model truck. Seems like these things are plagued with issues. I think I am going to return and swap for a Trinity 2 tomorrow and get that Greene tune going... Didn't want to get that involved, but don't want to put the Pulsar on and have it **** with my new ride throwing codes and put her in limp mode... Love the idea and features of the device but a bummer it's got so many issues.

CORebel19

Reaction score
I love my Pulsar but after ~4K miles the check engine light came on. I disconnected negative battery post. Popped off the plugs to the Pulsar. Cleaned all around & plugged back in. Reconnected battery & poof the check engine light is gone. Hope it stays that way!

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my Pulsar but after ~4K miles the check engine light came on. I disconnected negative battery post. Popped off the plugs to the Pulsar. Cleaned all around & plugged back in. Reconnected battery & poof the check engine light is gone. Hope it stays that way!
My first Pulsar would throw an engine light code and another code that would put the truck into a weird limp mode. I could turn the truck off, immediately restart, and the limb mode would be gone but the engine light code would stay on for a day or so.

Pulsar sent me a new unit and I returned the original one. Occasionally, the new unit will throw the same two codes but doesn’t go into limp mode. I can turn the truck off, immediately restart, and the red lightning bolt code light goes off and in a day or so, the check engine light turns off.

This doesn’t happen too often, and I’m assuming its just an electrical quirk of the unit and the unit is not actually harming the truck.

desperadoxxxx

Reaction score
So I installed an edge pulsar 5 k miles ago and the first 4k it worked wonderfully and the truck ran great. However the last 1000 miles, something weird started happening.

Seemingly every 100 to 500 miles, Sometimes less (50 ?) Numerous warning lights on the dash go off, the truck becomes sluggish but still drivable. Once i turn it off and back on the warning lights (forward collision, throttle sensorr, stability cobtrol, cross path light and front and back sensors) all turn back off and performance is restored. The check engine light remains on for 20 to 30 miles and then eventually turns off as well.
View attachment 19369
I called pulsar and they said maybe it wasnt seated onto the pcm firmly so I disconnected and reconnected everything and made extra careconnected firmly. The issue reappeared 50 miles and a day later.

So now I have completely disconnected the pulsar. I'm going to call them tomorrow to either send them the unit for a new one or ask for a refund ( or wait and see if the truck repeats the issue without the pulsar)

Has anyone else experienced similar orrecommend another course of action ?
Here's a install video for you guys that want you install a pulsar and have a visual reference.

07/21/22- Just installed the Pulsar Inline Module on my 2019 Ram Rebel 1500 5.7 Hemi (and Yea, I Reinstalled the "Ground Strap" Exactly the Way it Was B4 I Installed the Pulsar Inline Module" - Between the Stock PCM and Metal Plate). Set it to Performance MDS Off... Went on Test Drive, and upon returning home Rechecked for DTC's and Got a P0016 DTC. I Cleared it. Anyone had this Issue with getting This particular DTC (P0016), and If So, What's Causing it.?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
07/21/22- Just installed the Pulsar Inline Module on my 2019 Ram Rebel 1500 5.7 Hemi (and Yea, I Reinstalled the "Ground Strap" Exactly the Way it Was B4 I Installed the Pulsar Inline Module" - Between the Stock PCM and Metal Plate). Set it to Performance MDS Off... Went on Test Drive, and upon returning home Rechecked for DTC's and Got a P0016 DTC. I Cleared it. Anyone had this Issue with getting This particular DTC (P0016), and If So, What's Causing it.?
They are known to have several issues and, for me, not worth the headache and I've stayed far far away from this POS.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you experience any drivability issues along with this code? It is for crank/cam correlation, my first thought is possibly a damaged pin in the connection at the PCM. The terminals are very small and fragile, so you might check and make sure one didn't get bent during installation.

JoeRAM2022

Reaction score
Guys I have watched various youtube videos with the pulsar installation and the owners review of how the product works right after install but based on what I am seeing here it seems pulsar is not what such a great product after all, thanks for the info...

desperadoxxxx

Reaction score
My apologies for the Long Gap between My Original Post and Now (Edge Pulsar Installed on my 2019 RAM Rebel) - I Didn't Experience Any Driveability Issues, And Only Experienced the DTC 1 Time... I did However Remove This Power Programmer and Returned it due to Other Quirks I Didn't Care for (Set Power Level Changing to Other Power Level Program while Driving without My Knowledge - Tech support said Probably was happening when I was using my Cruise Control feature while driving). Apparently You Lose the Ability to Use your Cruise Control Feature in Lieu of the Pulsar as it Communicates via this Same Feature. I decided I would look at Other "Power Programmers that Didn't depend Tying Up a Feature of my Rebel.

**Apparently Edge Pulsar has undergone All-New Re-engineering since the Unit I Returned Shortly After I Installed/Returned It Last Year.....

1. Anyone Installed The "Newly Re-engineered Edge Pulsar on their 5th Gen 5.7 Hemi and If So, Has it Improved, Any New Features, Any Issues....??

2. As Far as "Power Programmers" are Concerned, is the "Diablosport" (Trinity 2 Platinum PCM Swap Out Kit) Still Considered the Best "Power Programmer" for 5th Gen Hemi 5.7 Engines...??

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My apologies for the Long Gap between My Original Post and Now (Edge Pulsar Installed on my 2019 RAM Rebel) - I Didn't Experience Any Driveability Issues, And Only Experienced the DTC 1 Time... I did However Remove This Power Programmer and Returned it due to Other Quirks I Didn't Care for (Set Power Level Changing to Other Power Level Program while Driving without My Knowledge - Tech support said Probably was happening when I was using my Cruise Control feature while driving). Apparently You Lose the Ability to Use your Cruise Control Feature in Lieu of the Pulsar as it Communicates via this Same Feature. I decided I would look at Other "Power Programmers that Didn't depend Tying Up a Feature of my Rebel.

**Apparently Edge Pulsar has undergone All-New Re-engineering since the Unit I Returned Shortly After I Installed/Returned It Last Year.....

1. Anyone Installed The "Newly Re-engineered Edge Pulsar on their 5th Gen 5.7 Hemi and If So, Has it Improved, Any New Features, Any Issues....??

2. As Far as "Power Programmers" are Concerned, is the "Diablosport" (Trinity 2 Platinum PCM Swap Out Kit) Still Considered the Best "Power Programmer" for 5th Gen Hemi 5.7 Engines...??

I have been running the older Pulsar for three years now with no problems. I set the upper DIC to music so I can see the Pulsar program before engaging the ACC, and when I engage the ACC, it bypasses the Pulsar control. Then I can adjust the speed with the +/- buttons without altering the program I am in.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

As long as cruise control is turned on, the Pulsar will not change programs. I have accidentally switched by hitting cruise set +/- buttons before I actually turned the cruise on. Going from my wifes Traverse where cruise is always on, unless you turn it off, to my Ram where you have to turn it on every time, sometimes I forget to turn it on before trying to set the cruise.

I have had check engine light a couple times for cam/crank sync and throttle control. But that was over a year ago. And I discovered I had forgot to reconnect the bonding wire to the mounting screws when I installed it. Since hooking the bonding wire back up, I have not had any issues.

If you want adjust on the fly capability without a separate control panel, the cruise control buttons are you only option. Which is why both the TazerDT and Pulsar use them.

Georgf

Reaction score
Same problem with my Pulsar! Since install, I began to experience DTC as Service Electronic Throttle Control (P 2122, P2138), but this happened ones-twice a month and disappears after disconnect/reconnect the battery terminal. I drove with it for several years, but now this error began to appear constantly, if disconnect the battery or resetting with a OBD tool does not help, the Truck is in limp mode. I checked all connectors, wires, all good. What you guys suggest, sent it to Edge (no warranty), or maybe i can open the Pulsar and check any points by myself? Anybody know what exactly they solve in warranty returned items, software or hardware issue?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same problem with my Pulsar! Since install, I began to experience DTC as Service Electronic Throttle Control (P 2122, P2138), but this happened ones-twice a month and disappears after disconnect/reconnect the battery terminal. I drove with it for several years, but now this error began to appear constantly, if disconnect the battery or resetting with a OBD tool does not help, the Truck is in limp mode. I checked all connectors, wires, all good. What you guys suggest, sent it to Edge (no warranty), or maybe i can open the Pulsar and check any points by myself? Anybody know what exactly they solve in warranty returned items, software or hardware issue?
Have you contacted Edge? Is the bonding wire that was in your PCM still attached? The only time I had issues with mine, I missed getting that bonding wire in the mounting screw.

Have you tried removing the Pulsar and driving it without it to see if it's truly an issue with the Pulsar, and not an actual problem with your truck?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also have you checked for updates?

Georgf

Reaction score
Have you contacted Edge? Is the bonding wire that was in your PCM still attached? The only time I had issues with mine, I missed getting that bonding wire in the mounting screw.

Have you tried removing the Pulsar and driving it without it to see if it's truly an issue with the Pulsar, and not an actual problem with your truck?
Yes, bonding wire is attached and tightened well, but it’s contacted only with PCM itself, not with Pulsar, because Pulsar is made of plastic. So I think this wire needs only to grounded PCM and protect it from any interference, but it’s not critical connection. Today I removed Pulsar and checked, there is no DTC for 15 min driving, no more test today. So I’m sure my Pulsar pulled error code.
Contacted Edge and they say send it to repair, but they can’t answer what price it would be before they check it. I think there is the same problem in all Pulsars with warranty claim, if i will know what exactly they repair maybe I could do it by myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread