5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge pulsar issues ?!

LKF

Reaction score
Installed my pulsar today and have a problem. After setting up the "center" and then selecting "audio", it seemed to work fine showing the 8 selections. Problem is that I can no longer select "speedometer" for my center screen? Actually can't put anything into my center screen now. It now constantly says "press OK to enter screen setup". This is the Ram Limited. Has anyone else had this happen? Diablo told me to do a Hard Reset by removing pos and neg cables from battery, then applying brake with headlights on for 5 minutes. Has anyone tried this? Appreciate any feedback you might have.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Installed my pulsar today and have a problem. After setting up the "center" and then selecting "audio", it seemed to work fine showing the 8 selections. Problem is that I can no longer select "speedometer" for my center screen? Actually can't put anything into my center screen now. It now constantly says "press OK to enter screen setup". This is the Ram Limited. Has anyone else had this happen? Diablo told me to do a Hard Reset by removing pos and neg cables from battery, then applying brake with headlights on for 5 minutes. Has anyone tried this? Appreciate any feedback you might have.

Mine kelp messing up. So I sent it back for a refund and I'm going to wait and see if they come out with a tuner. Never had that problem with my other tuner. The edge is a great platform start but in my opinion it needs more testing. And it needs a metal casing so it can have a proper ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myram2019

Reaction score
I have a pulsar for sale if anyone is interested. I had issues so i called them and told them i want refund. They said send it back. So i did.
A week later i get it back and said it was updated. I haven't installed it to check and dont want to as i have Tazer and dont want the conflict.

PM me if your interesdted. Product is NIB

whetrick1

Reaction score
If you don't like it send it back. They have a 30 day policy if you're not satisfied then you can get your money back. Because if you sale it most likely you'll have to lose money on it. They tried that on me and I told them to refund my money.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't set up Center as Audio if you want Center to be Speedo. It can't be both. Return whatever you changed back the way it was. Just use the up/down to go to Audio page to see what tune you are in.

Gtbadass

Reaction score
So I installed an edge pulsar 5 k miles ago and the first 4k it worked wonderfully and the truck ran great. However the last 1000 miles, something weird started happening.

Seemingly every 100 to 500 miles, Sometimes less (50 ?) Numerous warning lights on the dash go off, the truck becomes sluggish but still drivable. Once i turn it off and back on the warning lights (forward collision, throttle sensorr, stability cobtrol, cross path light and front and back sensors) all turn back off and performance is restored. The check engine light remains on for 20 to 30 miles and then eventually turns off as well.
View attachment 19369
I called pulsar and they said maybe it wasnt seated onto the pcm firmly so I disconnected and reconnected everything and made extra careconnected firmly. The issue reappeared 50 miles and a day later.

So now I have completely disconnected the pulsar. I'm going to call them tomorrow to either send them the unit for a new one or ask for a refund ( or wait and see if the truck repeats the issue without the pulsar)

Has anyone else experienced similar orrecommend another course of action ?
I am having this EXACT same issue. I called pulsar and they sent me another one. I just i9nstalled it and now I am having the same issue with the second device. Something isn't right......

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried cleaning the connector? My Harley got water in the muti-pin connector to the CPU and I chased Gremlins for a while before figuring it out. Cleaned all the connectors (male and female) and all my issues cleared up. My Pulsar has been flawless. Just thought I'd throw in my 0.02.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Pulsar for the 2019 is not ready for prime time.....I doubt it is a connector cleaning issue.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Embedded Digital Controllers aren't known for non-repeatable behavior. I toubleshoot digital control systems and CAN networks daily. The problems are 99% related to physical wiring, grounding, electrical noise, external sensor failure, etc. It's possible the Pulsar is flawed but without investigating the other more likely possibilities, I doubt it.

There is one known issue I have seen. If the truck is quickly started and shifted to drive, and the user changes tunes immediately to Performance while accelerating, the ECU will throw codes and lots of lights will go off on the dash. I suspect the Ram's controls are still initializing and the on-the-fly throttle remap interferes with a diagnostic that occurs after ignition on. Easy to avoid. Is that what people are seeing?

whetrick1

Reaction score
You can try putting the ground wire in between the PCM and the mounting nut plate. That way you're sure that the PCM is grounded. And as long as the PCM is grounded then the pulsar should be grounded too.

blownout1500

Reaction score
So I installed an edge pulsar 5 k miles ago and the first 4k it worked wonderfully and the truck ran great. However the last 1000 miles, something weird started happening.

Seemingly every 100 to 500 miles, Sometimes less (50 ?) Numerous warning lights on the dash go off, the truck becomes sluggish but still drivable. Once i turn it off and back on the warning lights (forward collision, throttle sensorr, stability cobtrol, cross path light and front and back sensors) all turn back off and performance is restored. The check engine light remains on for 20 to 30 miles and then eventually turns off as well.
View attachment 19369
I called pulsar and they said maybe it wasnt seated onto the pcm firmly so I disconnected and reconnected everything and made extra careconnected firmly. The issue reappeared 50 miles and a day later.

So now I have completely disconnected the pulsar. I'm going to call them tomorrow to either send them the unit for a new one or ask for a refund ( or wait and see if the truck repeats the issue without the pulsar)

Has anyone else experienced similar orrecommend another course of action ?

Exactly the same. Calling to return it tomorrow. It’s happening to everyone’s unit eventually, best as I can tell from here and insta. There is a design problem.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wiser man than me LOL. Fun to drive with it but getting stranded with the family is no fun at all.
If you don't have the ability or desire to reset codes or turn a socket out on the road than avoiding anything that mods the truck is probably a good idea! The Pulsar can be removed easily and codes can be reset if they occur. 13k miles and I haven't been stranded yet.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it comes down to personality type and technical ability as to whether a gadget or mod is worth it on a vehicle. If you don't like tinkering with stuff, leave it stock. I always tinker with mine. Benefits include leveling the air suspension with homemade sensor links, more power and quick throttle with the Pulsar. and all the cool stuff the Tazer DT provides. Each of these mods has downsides as well. Heck, even side window tint has its downside...reducing visibility at night. They are worth it to me.

Btw, these Rams are known for having poor ground terminations from the factory. There is a recall for a poor ground in the electric power steering unit. I wonder if tightening all the grounds might help? I checked all of the ones I could find and they are fine. I still haven't done the recall yet. All they do is tighten the grounds anyways. I'll let them check my work next time I take it in.

Last edited:

blownout1500

Reaction score
If you don't have the ability or desire to reset codes or turn a socket out on the road than avoiding anything that mods the truck is probably a good idea! The Pulsar can be removed easily and codes can be reset if they occur. 13k miles and I haven't been stranded yet.

You mean I can take it off myself?

blownout1500

Reaction score
I think it comes down to personality type and technical ability as to whether a gadget or mod is worth it on a vehicle. If you don't like tinkering with stuff, leave it stock. I always tinker with mine. Benefits include leveling the air suspension with homemade sensor links, more power and quick throttle with the Pulsar. and all the cool stuff the Tazer DT provides. Each of these mods has downsides as well. Heck, even side window tint has its downside...reducing visibility at night. They are worth it to me.

Btw, these Rams are known for having poor ground terminations from the factory. There is a recall for a poor ground in the electric power steering unit. I wonder if tightening all the grounds might help? I checked all of the ones I could find and they are fine. I still haven't done the recall yet. All they do is tighten the grounds anyways. I'll let them check my work next time I take it in.
Folks are having their trucks randomly go into limp mode in the middle of nowhere and you’re somehow using it as an opportunity to brag about your window tint and your leveling links. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread