5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge pulsar issues ?!

Llamafood

Reaction score
So I installed an edge pulsar 5 k miles ago and the first 4k it worked wonderfully and the truck ran great. However the last 1000 miles, something weird started happening.

Seemingly every 100 to 500 miles, Sometimes less (50 ?) Numerous warning lights on the dash go off, the truck becomes sluggish but still drivable. Once i turn it off and back on the warning lights (forward collision, throttle sensorr, stability cobtrol, cross path light and front and back sensors) all turn back off and performance is restored. The check engine light remains on for 20 to 30 miles and then eventually turns off as well.
I called pulsar and they said maybe it wasnt seated onto the pcm firmly so I disconnected and reconnected everything and made extra careconnected firmly. The issue reappeared 50 miles and a day later.

So now I have completely disconnected the pulsar. I'm going to call them tomorrow to either send them the unit for a new one or ask for a refund ( or wait and see if the truck repeats the issue without the pulsar)

Has anyone else experienced similar orrecommend another course of action ?

whetrick1

Reaction score
So I installed an edge pulsar 5 k miles ago and the first 4k it worked wonderfully and the truck ran great. However the last 1000 miles, something weird started happening.

Seemingly every 100 to 500 miles, Sometimes less (50 ?) Numerous warning lights on the dash go off, the truck becomes sluggish but still drivable. Once i turn it off and back on the warning lights (forward collision, throttle sensorr, stability cobtrol, cross path light and front and back sensors) all turn back off and performance is restored. The check engine light remains on for 20 to 30 miles and then eventually turns off as well.
View attachment 19369
I called pulsar and they said maybe it wasnt seated onto the pcm firmly so I disconnected and reconnected everything and made extra careconnected firmly. The issue reappeared 50 miles and a day later.

So now I have completely disconnected the pulsar. I'm going to call them tomorrow to either send them the unit for a new one or ask for a refund ( or wait and see if the truck repeats the issue without the pulsar)

Has anyone else experienced similar orrecommend another course of action ?

I had one on my truck. The first one when you turn MDS off it would surge when cruising at any speed. I called them and they told me that they sent me the wrong one and sent me a new one. Well 2 weeks later one night I jumped in my truck and took off and about a 1/4 mile down the road I got a Trans overspeed warning. I then stopped because the Trans disengaged. Put back into park then into drive and everything seemed OK. Got up the next day left on it and it had a roaring noise and felt like I was dragging a house behind it. I took it off and the truck ran like it was supposed top. Called them and told them I wanted a refund and I will wait until they get a tuner for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The surging with MDS is how it works. It doesn't disable MDS but surges the throttle to disengage MDS each time it kicks in. I wish they would just be honest about it. THERE IS NO WAY TO DISABLE MDS ON THE STOCK ECU.

Anyone adding a tuner to their truck should own a code reader....or remain stock. Engine codes will occur and it's nice to be able to read and reset them.

Rich

Reaction score
I don't own a pulsar.

Is the case of the pulsar made out of plastic or something non metal?

If yes, then after seeing that install video I think the pulsar installation instructions have a flaw. That ground strap won't make a good electrical connection to the ECM chassis, and could even be intermittent causing all sorts of strange issues. I'm surprised that no one has noticed this yet.

If the case of the pulsar is plastic, I'd probably shorten the one post under the ground point by the thickness of the ground strap ring terminal, and then install the ground strap between the pulsar and the ECM to ensure the ECM was properly grounded.

If the case of the pulsar is electrical conducting, then disregard this post!

Last edited:

Llamafood

Reaction score
So just got off the phone with edge. They think something failed in the unit and are sending me a replacement with a prepaid shipping return label for the old unit.

cwwood2006

Reaction score
I just had some issues with mine. Multiple warning lights, CEL issues reading crankshaft sensor codes. The other day the truck just shut off and when I turned it off and back on I was in limp mode. Couldn’t go over 20mph.

Took the pulsar off and it sat overnight. All codes and errors gone. Truck runs fine.

Called company and they also said their was an issue with that unit and sent me a new one I’ll get tomorrow. Going to see what happens.

whetrick1

Reaction score
So just got off the phone with edge. They think something failed in the unit and are sending me a replacement with a prepaid shipping return label for the old unit.

Yeah that's what they did for me and the second one lasted 2 weeks. Got a refund and waiting for them to come out with a tuner.

Rich

Reaction score
So the chassis of the pulsar is made of metal or plastic?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently there is a good way and bad way to ground the Pulsar if this is indeed the problem. I've been lucky so far. My ground strap is under the upper back screw between the Pulsar and ECU. I make sure the Pulsar is pulled down tight on the eyelet by twisting the eyelet to check for movement. If it will twist, keep tightening. The bolts have so much friction that they feel tight before the are pulled down snug.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I think they have a good start but it seems not to work on all trucks. Some have had good luck and some have had problems. I gave them 2 chances and it didn't work out. I never had that problem with a tuner.

Llamafood

Reaction score
So here is a weird side effect. When I had my pulsar on I adjusted it for larger tires. Now that I had those issues and pulled it off and am back to running stock, the tire recalibration has sustained. Verified via my gps on my phone. Not a bad thing for now but could a dealership tell I had a pulsar on at one point now ?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So here is a weird side effect. When I had my pulsar on I adjusted it for larger tires. Now that I had those issues and pulled it off and am back to running stock, the tire recalibration has sustained. Verified via my gps on my phone. Not a bad thing for now but could a dealership tell I had a pulsar on at one point now ?
All the speedo recalibrate tools work that way. They write to the ECU which is retentative. If your dealer ever flashed an update to your ECU, it'll overwrite the calibration. The Tazer DT works the same way but it is "married" to your ECU and won't work on other vehicled without "unmarrying" it first, which also returns it to stock.

Many dealers are ok with using 3rd party calibrators since FCA doesn't have a way to do it. I'd call your service department and ask if it's ok. Don't tell them you already have. Tell them you intend to use a Rough Country calibrator (not a tuner) if it's ok. If they say yes, you're good to go.

whetrick1

Reaction score

No because it doesn't change anything in your PCM it piggy backs the system.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No because it doesn't change anything in your PCM it piggy backs the system.
Something changed if the tire calibration remains after removal! Their literature states "virtually no trace"...which means almost no trace. There's a little wiggle room in that language.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Something changed if the tire calibration remains after removal! Their literature states "virtually no trace"...which means almost no trace. There's a little wiggle room in that language.

Well they told me it left no trace. But I didn't Chang my tire size. Then you would need to Chang it back before removing.

Rich

Reaction score

Since the case of the Pulsar is plastic, I think this is important!

Apparently there is a good way and bad way to ground the Pulsar if this is indeed the problem. I've been lucky so far. My ground strap is under the upper back screw between the Pulsar and ECU. I make sure the Pulsar is pulled down tight on the eyelet by twisting the eyelet to check for movement. If it will twist, keep tightening. The bolts have so much friction that they feel tight before the are pulled down snug.

I'd probably check to see if that one mounting leg needs to be shortened slightly (by the thickness of the ground lug) so you're not putting a twist into the Pulsar case. Be sure the ground lug and the ECM leg needs to be cleaned also. You want a nice clean electrical connection that will last.

Users who are viewing this thread