5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone use Spotify for music?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems Pandora and Spotify are pretty similar. What are the differences? It seems more people use Spotify. I have a few different Pandora channels I listen to at workz or when working in yard/garage, but I just use the free version. One is a default channel on Pandora called Best of the 80s reloaded, and is better than other 80s mixes I've listened to on other platforms(IMO), one is a channel built off a single song I liked, which I haven't actually heard that song listening to the channel is quite a while. And one is built around an artist I like, but it actually plays a good variety of other songs, even different genres. It's also my most listened to channel right now. The ads don't really bother me, but I grew up listening to broadcast radio, and they aren't that long when they are played. In my truck, I have SiriusXM subscription.
They are extremely similar. I've had the free version of both for years. I recently switch to premium version because both seem to have increased the frequency of adds on the free versions. You're correct that the adds aren't long, and I also grew up with broadcast radio/television so you learn to deal with adds. However, it was starting to seem like you got 2 songs and then an add. Not bad if they're songs you like, but with the free versions you got limited skips, and you'd end up prompting another add quicker.
Anyway, back to your question. The main difference is how they're set up. They both have the same features but they're laid out differently. Pandora seems to be set up more for "station" listening, whereas Spotify seems to be set up more for listening to songs on your library. Both work either way though so no real difference other the set up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are extremely similar. I've had the free version of both for years. I recently switch to premium version because both seem to have increased the frequency of adds on the free versions. You're correct that the adds aren't long, and I also grew up with broadcast radio/television so you learn to deal with adds. However, it was starting to seem like you got 2 songs and then an add. Not bad if they're songs you like, but with the free versions you got limited skips, and you'd end up prompting another add quicker.
Anyway, back to your question. The main difference is how they're set up. They both have the same features but they're laid out differently. Pandora seems to be set up more for "station" listening, whereas Spotify seems to be set up more for listening to songs on your library. Both work either way though so no real difference other the set up.
I guess I prefer the station listening. I like the randomness of songs, just like listening to the radio. And don't want to have to spend time making a playlist. Also Pandora throws new songs in all the time. If you thumbs up a song it plays more often, but over the last four days listen jng to the same channel for 8 hours at work, there was never a song repeated on the same day, and has never been a song I wanted to skip

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pay $6 a month for my SiriusXM subscription. Cheaper than Pandora or Spotify paid subscriptions.
That's a good rate, until that promo expires. They contacted me about renewing my subscription and the cheapest non-promotional plan available was $13 per month, with the typical one used being $18.
And as noted, you're stuck with whatever song is on the station that's playing. I used to like XM, but it kinda sucks now.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I prefer the station listening. I like the randomness of songs, just like listening to the radio. And don't want to have to spend time making a playlist. ..
Yeah, me too. I think that's why I like Pandora just a bit better than Spotify. It seems to be set up for station listening more than playlists. You just pick a station, song, artist, or genre you like and let it run.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good rate, until that promo expires. They contacted me about renewing my subscription and the cheapest non-promotional plan available was $13 per month, with the typical one used being $18.
And as noted, you're stuck with whatever song is on the station that's playing. I used to like XM, but it kinda sucks now.
Promo doesn't expire. And if it does, I will wait for them to offer it again, which they will, because they want the subscribers.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You got a good deal. I'm not sure how you landed that one, but nice work.
They offered me a reduced price to renewed, but it was only discounted for 3 months then it went to the standard $18/month. Not worth it to me for what I was getting versus what I could get with other services.

ThePretender

Reaction score
Yeah, me too. I think that's why I like Pandora just a bit better than Spotify. It seems to be set up for station listening more than playlists. You just pick a station, song, artist, or genre you like and let it run.

I thought Spotify had the ability to create a station but I just looked and couldn’t find it. I have the free version. I know I can with Apple Music.

I have always found Pandora stations to be the best though. They surprisingly will play some pretty deep tracks from artists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been using Pandora free for years, even when I was paying for Sirius. I think you only get 5 skips/hour, but I like that I can pick an artist or genre and it will help me find songs I wasn't aware of, and then as mentioned I can thumb up to hear more of it or down to not hear it again.

I also have Apple Music as a Verizon bundle. I like it, because they have radio stations, Playlist, etc, or I can build my own lists and download them to my devices, even my Android phone.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
You got a good deal. I'm not sure how you landed that one, but nice work.
They offered me a reduced price to renewed, but it was only discounted for 3 months then it went to the standard $18/month. Not worth it to me for what I was getting versus what I could get with other services.

Just tell them you want to cancel the account.....they will give you a very cheap rate.....usually for 6 months.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I did. My subscription was expiring and I didn't have an active card on the account. They contacted me about renewing (and needed new card info to do it) and I told them I didn't want to pay that much for radio. They offered a discount for 3 months if I signed up for a year, but then it would go back to normal rates for the last 9. Wasn't worth it. I told them let it expire, and I haven't looked back. Don't even miss it.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
To the OP's question, it sounds like you cannot get one station or playlist to jump around over multiple genres.
That is why I end up using a USB stick. The bad part about this is having to look elsewhere for new songs/artists.
These streaming services and even radio stations would benefit from crossing genres. There are a lot of metal heads that like Johnny Cash, and they might find that they like other country artists as well if they were ever exposed to them, and it goes the other way too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To the OP's question, it sounds like you cannot get one station or playlist to jump around over multiple genres.
That is why I end up using a USB stick. The bad part about this is having to look elsewhere for new songs/artists.
These streaming services and even radio stations would benefit from crossing genres. There are a lot of metal heads that like Johnny Cash, and they might find that they like other country artists as well if they were ever exposed to them, and it goes the other way too.
My Chris Stapleton Pandora station plays a decent variety mixing in songs that aren't country. Granted they aren't playing rap/hip hop or Metal, but still not all Countru either.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pandora added a cool feature a few years back called Thumbprint Radio. It will play all your thumbs up songs, and related songs. So, I get a very good mix of genres.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I currently use my phone to bluetooth the nearly 3k songs I already have on an SD card but I like the idea of hearing "new" music. Spotify will play "like" artists from the same genre which is cool because who doesnt like new music but I'd pay for it in a heart beat if it would play other genres without having to go in and choose the other ones

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pandora added a cool feature a few years back called Thumbprint Radio. It will play all your thumbs up songs, and related songs. So, I get a very good mix of genres.
Yea, Spotify has that too. It's just a heart, not a thumb.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no experience with spotify, but I use amazon music since we already pay for prime. It's included. My wife has xm for 6 bucks a month or whatever it is because she prefers that. I almost exclusively listen to Texas Country on Prime. You can thumbs up / thumbs down songs and the algorithm gets to know what you like. The only real downside I've found sometimes is a lack of cell service. But, I live in a fairly rural area compared to most.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is why I end up using a USB stick.
Technically speaking you can do the same thing with Spotify by selecting shuffle play on your "Liked Songs". Likewise, Pandora will do the same thing by selecting shuffle play on "My Collection". Doing this has the same issue as a USB though, in that you're not getting new songs. Instead are only playing songs you've already picked out. That said, the streaming services will play other songs once the list has been exhausted or in lieu of the list, whereas a USB can only replay the same songs you already have.
Although, with the size of USB sticks now, you can gather an enormous library of multiple genres. If you were motivated to set it up, you could create multiple folders (aka playlists) with any combination of artists you want. You're basically doing what the computer is doing for you, and it doesn't cost you a monthly fee. The down side is that you only get new music if you add it, and you've got to do a little more work to set up folders. Not the worst way to go about it though. I have a USB that I also have plugged in for those "just in case" moments.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Technically speaking you can do the same thing with Spotify by selecting shuffle play on your "Liked Songs". Likewise, Pandora will do the same thing by selecting shuffle play on "My Collection". Doing this has the same issue as a USB though, in that you're not getting new songs. Instead are only playing songs you've already picked out. That said, the streaming services will play other songs once the list has been exhausted or in lieu of the list, whereas a USB can only replay the same songs you already have.
Although, with the size of USB sticks now, you can gather an enormous library of multiple genres. If you were motivated to set it up, you could create multiple folders (aka playlists) with any combination of artists you want. You're basically doing what the computer is doing for you, and it doesn't cost you a monthly fee. The down side is that you only get new music if you add it, and you've got to do a little more work to set up folders. Not the worst way to go about it though. I have a USB that I also have plugged in for those "just in case" moments.
Many years ago, when I was still active duty, most of the memory on my phone was mp3s. When you are deployed on a ship, there is no network to stream from, but streaming services were just getting started then. And you might be able to download new music when you pulled into port, if you even knew what new music was out, and the country you were in allowed access to your preferred source of music. I could also plug my phone into my stereo on vehicles or play through Bluetooth if you had Bluetooth on your vehicle.

The late 00's Chrysler/Dodges had the MyGig head unit you could save MP3s to. Create folders and "playlists" on. All controlled through steering wheel controls. Now everyone just streams music or listens to SiriusXM so they don't offer internal storage on car stereos anymore.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can’t believe anyone pays for Sirius, given the dismal sound quality. Perhaps talk radio junkies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread