5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone use Spotify for music?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t believe anyone pays for Sirius, given the dismal sound quality. Perhaps talk radio junkies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not everyone is an audiophile the requires FLAC quality in their music. Some of us just enjoy having music to listen to and not having to surf for stations as you drive. $6 a month is cheaper than any other paid streaming service. I personally don't care to go through the hassle of trying to find someplace to download music to for free that don't have to worry about viruses, organize it, save it to a portable thumb drive and hope it's in a format my truck can play.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... The late 00's Chrysler/Dodges had the MyGig head unit you could save MP3s to. Create folders and "playlists" on. All controlled through steering wheel controls. Now everyone just streams music or listens to SiriusXM so they don't offer internal storage on car stereos anymore.
Ha ha, yes!!! I remember transferring files over to the MyGig with a USB drive. IIRC you could "rip" a cd to it, straight from the cd player. Unless I'm confusing that with a different car I had.

And I prefer terra firma, so fortunately all the bases I've been on have been actual physical locations, not a floating city someone in the middle of an ocean. That said, a Walkman with a few mix cassettes was a good way to assure you always had some good tunes with you.

It would seem, music consumption has come a long way.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not everyone is an audiophile the requires FLAC quality in their music. Some of us just enjoy having music to listen to and not having to surf for stations as you drive. ....
Agreed. I like quality audio too, but "low quality" songs are better than constantly searching for a song/station you like if you're out of your normal listening area.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did confirm yesterday that you can random play your "liked" songs. Mine jumped from Kid rock to Travis Tritt to Poison to Black Sabbath to Toby Keith.....

At one time I liked a whole album of Alan Jackson Gospel. Good if you are in the mood, like Christmas morning but had to start unliking the songs for general listening. LOL.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can’t believe anyone pays for Sirius, given the dismal sound quality. Perhaps talk radio junkies?

There must be something wrong with your receiver. The sound quality from the Sirius stations I listen to are nearly as good as the music stored on my phone.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm far from an audiophile so maybe I'm not the best gauge, but I've found XM to sound on par with standard broadcast radio. When one of the broadcast stations is transmitted in HD, I think the FM sounds a little better, but only marginally. To tune to one or the other without hearing the direct comparison when it switches from standard to HD, I don't know if I'd notice. Which would suggest that XM has pretty good sound quality. If it sounds "dismal" that does seem a bit abnormal.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm far from an audiophile so maybe I'm not the best gauge, but I've found XM to sound on par with standard broadcast radio. When one of the broadcast stations is transmitted in HD, I think the FM sounds a little better, but only marginally. To tune to one or the other without hearing the direct comparison when it switches from standard to HD, I don't know if I'd notice. Which would suggest that XM has pretty good sound quality. If it sounds "dismal" that does seem a bit abnormal.
Biggest difference between SiriusXM and broadcast radio is with the HD stations on broadcast radios they will play with true "surround sound" on my Alpine system where as non-HD stations, and XM only play in stereo.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Biggest difference between SiriusXM and broadcast radio is with the HD stations on broadcast radios they will play with true "surround sound" on my Alpine system where as non-HD stations, and XM only play in stereo.
Surround sound is an option for my XM. Do you have the 12" screen? I can select it on or off, and when on XM sounds really good. For a stock vehicle audio system at least.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Surround sound is an option for my XM. Do you have the 12" screen? I can select it on or off, and when on XM sounds really good. For a stock vehicle audio system at least.
Don't remember seeing it as an option, but maybe it is. What year is your truck?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Don't remember seeing it as an option, but maybe it is. What year is your truck?
My 21 BTS with the 12" screen has surround sound. I can go in and manually change the EQ settings or set it to surround sound. I keep it on surround

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 21 BTS with the 12" screen has surround sound. I can go in and manually change the EQ settings or set it to surround sound. I keep it on surround
May have to look at mine again. Haven't looked since the software updates.

beetlespin

Reaction score
I use Pandora for free. I get a couple of commercials here and there but nothing like you would get on the radio.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's probably the difference I'm hearing between them. I know it seemed minute.

Reaction score
Started using Spotify about a month ago for music, the free version. I was using Amazaon Music, also the free version. I don't plan on paying for the premium version of either source.

I typically create a playlist and add stuff to it, then let it play on random.

But I left Amazon Music because they restrict quite a bit of music for Basic users. But have no commercials.

Spotify doesn't restrict what songs I can listen to but plays ads and limits skips.

I would rather listen to any song I want and deal with a couple of ads.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 21' Lonestar with 12" and Alpine.
Just verified mine today. No option for surround sound with siriusXM, and I'm on the latest firmware update. Alpine speakers

PXL_20220729_202022887.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread