5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone use Spotify for music?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just tell them you want to cancel the account.....they will give you a very cheap rate.....usually for 6 months.
I’ve been doing that for 15 years now. Never paid more than $7 per month for XM Radio. Once my trials end I bargain for a full year rate at an even bigger discount. Last thing they wanna do is lose subscribers so they’re willing to do whatever it takes to keep you. NEVER pay full price.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems Pandora and Spotify are pretty similar. What are the differences? It seems more people use Spotify. I have a few different Pandora channels I listen to at workz or when working in yard/garage, but I just use the free version. One is a default channel on Pandora called Best of the 80s reloaded, and is better than other 80s mixes I've listened to on other platforms(IMO), one is a channel built off a single song I liked, which I haven't actually heard that song listening to the channel is quite a while. And one is built around an artist I like, but it actually plays a good variety of other songs, even different genres. It's also my most listened to channel right now. The ads don't really bother me, but I grew up listening to broadcast radio, and they aren't that long when they are played. In my truck, I have SiriusXM subscription.
I’ve been using pandora free for about 10 years. I find it had the best songs.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems Pandora and Spotify are pretty similar. What are the differences? It seems more people use Spotify. I have a few different Pandora channels I listen to at workz or when working in yard/garage, but I just use the free version. One is a default channel on Pandora called Best of the 80s reloaded, and is better than other 80s mixes I've listened to on other platforms(IMO), one is a channel built off a single song I liked, which I haven't actually heard that song listening to the channel is quite a while. And one is built around an artist I like, but it actually plays a good variety of other songs, even different genres. It's also my most listened to channel right now. The ads don't really bother me, but I grew up listening to broadcast radio, and they aren't that long when they are played. In my truck, I have SiriusXM subscription.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I have Best of the 80s reloaded, as one of my primary Pandora channels I listen to, And the song selection they have is better than any other 80s channel I have tried listening to

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Since I started this thread 10 days ago I've been using the free version of Spotify and I haven't heard a commercial yet. I'm slowly getting familiar with it but so far I think it's ok. I'll give it some more time before I decide on paying for it or not

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Wow, when I used the free version it was loaded. Each skip initiated a commercial and the skips limited to so many an hour. I just pay and don't listen to anything else. I skip a lot of songs when I am in the mood driving down the road. I can pay attention to driving and just hit the button on the back of the steering wheel using android auto.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Wow, when I used the free version it was loaded. Each skip initiated a commercial and the skips limited to so many an hour. I just pay and don't listen to anything else. I skip a lot of songs when I am in the mood driving down the road. I can pay attention to driving and just hit the button on the back of the steering wheel using android auto.
With the free version I have been able to skip multiple songs in a row and haven't had any problem. I can also use the buttons on the back of the steering wheel to skip or replay a song and I don't use android auto or car play. I simply Bluetooth it from my phone

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine he's on a "free" trial of the premium service since he just started using it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I imagine he's on a "free" trial of the premium service since he just started using it.
I am not on the "free trial" of premium. I never signed up for anything other than setting up the free app so I could use it. I never entered any other info other than my email address and a password for the app

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
All the things listed are not part of the standard free version. Free only has a few skips per hour and will start hitting adds with the skips. Better sound is noticeable in paid but it eats data if you are not unlimited. The ability to scroll through your Playlist is part of premium too. You'll see.

If you like the free service great. If you want more, it's the cost of a tank of gas for the year.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
All the things listed are not part of the standard free version. Free only has a few skips per hour and will start hitting adds with the skips. Better sound is noticeable in paid but it eats data if you are not unlimited. The ability to scroll through your Playlist is part of premium too. You'll see.

If you like the free service great. If you want more, it's the cost of a tank of gas for the year.
Maybe so but according to my screenshot I just posted it says "Spotify free current plan". I never entered any payment information when I set the account so we'll see what happens

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Maybe so but according to my screenshot I just posted it says "Spotify free current plan". I never entered any payment information when I set the account so we'll see what happens
😅 yes, no doubt you are currently on the free plan. The screenshot is showing you what is included in Premium that you are not currently getting.

You don't enter payment info for the free plan.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
😅 yes, no doubt you are currently on the free plan. The screenshot is showing you what is included in Premium that you are not currently getting.

You don't enter payment info for the free plan.
Yeah I'm aware of all of that. I'm still getting used to the free version so I'll make my decision on whether or not I'll be paying for the premium version in a few weeks or so. I'm gonna keep messing with it for now. I was just in the truck for about 45 minutes playing music while heading up state and I still haven't heard a commercial

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a free trial of premium. I can explain, hear me out:
It's completely free, there's no payment due upfront, no credit card info required to start, no identification verification or anything like that. You simply sign up with your email address and you're ready to go. Super easy.
They give you a free trial of the premium service for something like 60 days (I don't remember the exact time frame it's been a long time since I did it). You enjoy all the features of the premium plan with no payment, and no credit card on file. If you don't sign up for premium service, it automatically switches you to the free version when the free trial ends. Then you'll start to hear adds, and be limited on skips. If you do want to sign up for premium and keep enjoying the benefits listed on your screen shot, you simply add a payment method to your account.

A few tips. First, you could probably keep creating new accounts and have indefinite free premium by signing up with new emails every time the trial ends, since they don't need any identification verification or card info. The down side to this is you have to keep getting new email accounts to associate to Spotify, and you would have to recreate your library every time.
Tip number two. Once you go to the free version (if you don't sign up for premium) you can get 30 minutes of add free music by clicking on the add when prompted. It plays the add as a video on your phone, but you won't hear any adds for 30 minutes after that, which is nice.
Since the longest add-free stretch you can get on the free service is 30 minutes (and that's only after acknowledging the add), it's a very clear indication that you're on the free trial of premium if you're going 45 minutes without an add.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It's completely free, there's no payment due upfront, no credit card info required to start, no identification verification or anything like that. You simply sign up with your email address and you're ready to go. Super easy.
They give you a free trial of the premium service for something like 60 days (I don't remember the exact time frame it's been a long time since I did it). You enjoy all the features of the premium plan with no payment, and no credit card on file. If you don't sign up for premium service, it automatically switches you to the free version when the free trial ends. Then you'll start to hear adds, and be limited on skips. If you do want to sign up for premium and keep enjoying the benefits listed on your screen shot, you simply add a payment method to your account.

A few tips. First, you could probably keep creating new accounts and have indefinite free premium by signing up with new emails every time the trial ends, since they don't need any identification verification or card info. The down side to this is you have to keep getting new email accounts to associate to Spotify, and you would have to recreate your library every time.
Tip number two. Once you go to the free version (if you don't sign up for premium) you can get 30 minutes of add free music by clicking on the add when prompted. It plays the add as a video on your phone, but you won't hear any adds for 30 minutes after that, which is nice.
Since the longest add-free stretch you can get on the free service is 30 minutes (and that's only after acknowledging the add), it's a very clear indication that you're on the free trial of premium if you're going 45 minutes without an add.
Yeah that does make complete sense. When I started this thread I knew absolutely nothing about how Spotify works so that's why I actually started the thread. I have learned a lot in these past 10 days. As I said previously, I am liking it so far but I will continue with the free version for now to get more familiar with it. I'm not opposed to the $10 monthly subscription as long as it continues to be something that I like. Thanks for the info

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Haha, I think you just explained what Husker and I were both trying to say. I for one was way to lazy to type it all out so completely. Nice job

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that does make complete sense. When I started this thread I knew absolutely nothing about how Spotify works so that's why I actually started the thread. I have learned a lot in these past 10 days. As I said previously, I am liking it so far but I will continue with the free version for now to get more familiar with it. I'm not opposed to the $10 monthly subscription as long as it continues to be something that I like. Thanks for the info
Yeah, it's a good service. And the $10 shouldn't change, it's been about that much for years. I think it used to be 8 or so when I first got it, but they haven't changed the rates much at all.
I think it's worth the $10/month for either Spotify or Pandora. They're very similar and I don't remember ever searching for a song that they haven't had.
Also worth noting. You can use the free trail until it converts to the free version. Once that ends, you can upgrade back to premium without losing you playlists or anything, so ride the free trial as long as you can. No sense in subscribing early.

Since satellite also came up. XM is nice too, but unless you're somehow getting abnormally low rates that some people are somehow getting, it cost nearly double that of Spotify and Pandora. But even if it was the same price, XM doesn't allow you to build stations or playlists like the other two, nor does it allow you search for a particular song. It's nice that it's built into the radio's software, but even if it were the same price as Spotify and Pandora, it's just not as good IMHO.
Say, I'm in the mood to hear "Forgot about Dre" by Eminem. With XM, I can only tune into Shade 45 (or a similar station) and hope it comes up. With Spotify and Pandora I just search for it, and play it. Being able to do that and listen to a random channel of new music, old music, artist, genre, etc. is a huge advantage to Spotify and Pandora, which are cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread