5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Oil Change Shopping list for the 5.7

CouchAssault

Reaction score
as far as the penzoil ultra platinum walmart has it as well. free shipping over 35$. plus you can return it to any walmart if you change your mind.
i've had amazon send me OLD bottles. like the old dark grey bottled api-sm penzoil ultra(non platinum) two years after it was discontinued. also have had unsealed bottles come as well. i just don't trust amazon.

obviously YMMV

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
as far as the penzoil ultra platinum walmart has it as well. free shipping over 35$. plus you can return it to any walmart if you change your mind.
i've had amazon send me OLD bottles. like the old dark grey bottled api-sm penzoil ultra(non platinum) two years after it was discontinued. also have had unsealed bottles come as well. i just don't trust amazon.

obviously YMMV
FYI - I check for this too. My recent Amazon order included 2 5-qt bottles of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20, factory sealed in shipping bags with a MFG date code of August 2018. My 2-pack of Mobil 1 EP filters have a MFG date code of April 2018. So not bad, really.

geotex1

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation on decent ramps at a good price that has taken some pressure over time like the 1500's weight? Time to retire my old heavy duty plastic ramps (got a good 10 yrs which was acceptable). I am starting to notice warping and a couple of cracks and at this point see it as a safety risk to continue using them.

Believe it or not, the Pittsburgh brand set of plastic ramps at Harbor Freight are quite good! I don't say that lightly either as I'm generally a man for use of jack stands (I own 5 sets of varying capacity and height), but I bought a set of these originally for getting the front of my 1937 Business Coupe up in the air to get to the oil filter - I sat it low with the IFS. After that I started using them on the wife's car and my former 2014 RAM 1500 and now the new 2019. They go on sale often or usually can be picked up with a coupon.

robeward

Reaction score
Wix is my 'go to' filter of choice. Was also the standard filter for my Mercedes with an annual/10k mile service interval.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sry this was supposed to be in the form of a question.
confirming part number please. 57060XP??? They also list a non-XP, just the 57060. Not sure the difference. 5.7l Hemi

Last edited:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. If the filter is the same as the 2018, unless there's less room under the truck for some reason you can use a filter from a 2011 which is almost twice the size (width wise anyways I forget about length.) They went to a smaller filter in 2013 when they changed to the electronic power steering rack. I've been running Mobil 1 filters on my 2016 since the second oil change with no issue.

Another tip is to just initially loosen the filter off so you can spin it by hand and then place a ziplock bag over it and remove. The ziplock bag will catch all the oil that leaks out so it doesn't spill all over the steering rack.
I am going to try the zip lock bag idea. I’ve been changing oil on these hemi rams for a long time and hate it every time I have to watch oil dripping all over the place. I was hoping with the redesign they would of updated the motor and went to a neeer style filter. The 3.6 Pentastar is so easy to change the filter and you don’t loose a drop. Maybe some year they will go that route on the hemi

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just did my first oil change, used Mobil 1 extended protection oil and filter.
Oil filter was a PAIN but got it done
No medal shaving or anything.
Anybody else use this oil? If so how long do you go before you change it again it says 15k miles on the oil and 20k miles for the filter
Seems a little sketchy to go that long but this is the first time I ran this oil.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
this is a great thread, thanks for all who has chimed in. I am taking mine to dealership when the time comes :p

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just did my first oil change, used Mobil 1 extended protection oil and filter.
Oil filter was a PAIN but got it done
No medal shaving or anything.
Anybody else use this oil? If so how long do you go before you change it again it says 15k miles on the oil and 20k miles for the filter
Seems a little sketchy to go that long but this is the first time I ran this oil.
I used Mobil 1 EP for years in my last truck. I changed it annually (6-7K miles for me), figuring it was cheap insurance.

I am running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my new Ram, as Mobil 1 EP is not Chrysler certified (and I have a lifetime warranty to protect).

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used or considered using one of those oil filter relocation systems? I used one over 20 years ago in an old Toyota 4Runner but haven't used it since. I may have been young and dumb but it worked great. Are you located at it up in the engine compartment so it was easy to get to. I don't know if I'd ever consider using that with a brand new truck though. And with warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally tackled the 1st oil change this morning (3,017 miles), and I appreciate all of the comments on this thread that helped me prepare for it properly.

My shopping list included a couple of 5-qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 jugs, a Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-113A filter, and a Fumoto F106SX drain valve (all purchased through Amazon).

The drain plug wasn't too bad of a task. I had an old flexible plastic cutting board lying around, so I stuck it under the oil pan, ran it over the sway bar, and duct-taped it in a curved shape to form a splash shield. It worked like a champ. I then installed the adjustable Fumoto valve, which should make this job even easier next time.

It took me a minute to find the oil filter, as I'm used to GM placement (not far from the oil drain plug). It's a little cramped in there, even though you can get at it from beneath and from the front. I didn't want to be looking at it from directly underneath when I broke it loose, but I found that I could sit between the front air dam and engine with the truck up on ramps and see what I was doing pretty clearly. With some patience and moderate effort, I was able to get the factory filter loose using a small metal-banded filter wrench. But even with a Ziploc bag over the filter, I spilled a good bit of oil...especially because I had to tilt the filter about 45 degrees to thread it out through the frame. Not an ideal spot, as others have indicated.

So...on the bright side, the factory fill oil came out looking nice and amber at 3K miles, I'm now running the best oil and filter I can buy, and I have a Fumoto drain valve installed to make the next oil change easier. Oh, and putting the truck on ramps with the air suspension maxed out gives me quite a bit of space to work with. On the downside, the oil filter is likely going to make a mess each time unless I get better about cracking it loose and 'catching' the oil...and even then, it'll be a bit of a pain.

Thanks again!

No worries about the Fumoto becoming open or leaking and you losing your oil??

Does it have a nipple to accept a hose to drain it right into a pan?

I wish they used the cartridge filters in the metal housing that you can tap drain the filter first before you remove it all full and messy. My wife's Sienna has that and it's very neat and clean.

Ever think about an oil relocation system? Someone said it was discussed earlier in the thread but I never saw it. Assuming that would eliminate any warranty.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Fumoto valves have been out for 20+ years and zero issues. They have a safety latch that can only be opened by pressing down and then pushing the ball valve open. You can also buy another piece that snaps over the valve to ensure 110% that it can never be accidentally opened but I found that to be unnecessary. Yes, you can buy it with a nipple to insert a plastic tube over to drain your oil where you want it to go. Check out Fumoto's website and all of your options will be clearly listed.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No worries about the Fumoto becoming open or leaking and you losing your oil??

Does it have a nipple to accept a hose to drain it right into a pan?

I wish they used the cartridge filters in the metal housing that you can tap drain the filter first before you remove it all full and messy. My wife's Sienna has that and it's very neat and clean.

Ever think about an oil relocation system? Someone said it was discussed earlier in the thread but I never saw it. Assuming that would eliminate any warranty.
As @securityguy wrote, the Fumoto has a solid design that helps prevent any accidental opening. And it has a plastic lock that you snap on, just to be safe. I bought the model with a 90-degree nipple that can be pointed in any direction, as I wanted to avoid splashing the sway bar. I also bought the hose kit, and it worked like a champ the first time (once I tightened up the valve enough to avoid leakage).

I’ve had a canister filter on other vehicles (e.g. MINI Cooper S), and it was nice. I don’t plan to relocate my Ram’s filter; it’s tight enough in there without adding parts, and I don’t want any parasitic pressure loss. I’ll just take my time and keep the wraps handy! Plus it’s only an annual job for me.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Ok, this is not DIY but took it in to dealer for first oil change (we get 4 free ones in Tx) and HOLY MOLY they made a mess! Was dripping oil all over my garage from the "wash out engine compartment with dirty oil" party they had.
Ok, it wasn't that bad but they obviously took no precautions removing the oil filter so the steering gear was covered and bonus! The front skid plate is perfectly positioned to get covered in oil so it can slowly drip out through the 3-4 holes in it.

Trucks are supposed to leak oil, right?
</sarcasm>
I just did my 1st break-in oil and filter change on mine and there needs to be an "engineer beating" for where they located the drain plug and filter on the HEMI! Biggest mess I ever made changing any oil from any vehicle I've owned over the past 35 years! Could barely get an oil filter wrench on the sucker from the hole location your arms have to go up into! I'm planning on getting a dipstick suction system for the next change to get the bulk of the oil out from up top and the residual from down below. Still doesn't help with the filter oil, but takes care of most of the mess! Also used an Mopar approved oil, Valvoline Full Synthetic for newer vehicles and mopar filter and plan on changing with the oil life meter aprox 7K miles.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a Pela 6000 oil extractor that I've been using for 9 years and works great. You can buy it for around $50. I use it on my other cars and my lawn mower, power washer and generator too. I have found that extracting gets just about all of the oil out except for a few ounces at most after doing an extraction and then pulling the plug. For a few ounces, not worth pulling the plug at all. I only have 350 miles on my RAM but will try the extraction method to see what I can pull out of her at about 3K miles. Most high-end dealerships use extractors versus pulling the plug. I am a Pennzoil Platinum guy and will, most likely, use a Mopar filter.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just changed my oil yesterday, at ~3200 miles in from new. Agree with everyone who says it's a PITA--oil spews over the sway bar, oil filter in a tight location that spills everywhere!

I ended up replacing the drain plug w/ a Fumoto oil drain valve. It should help make it easier to drain the oil, but the filter is in a terrible spot...
What part number drain valve did you get?

geotex1

Reaction score
For those who want neat over speed, piercing filter drain valves have been around for decades....

Users who are viewing this thread