5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Oil Change Shopping list for the 5.7

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would you guys prefer? Not sure what filter to use. Pennzoil ultra platinum oil with Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter or Pennzoil ultra platinum oil with royal purple oil filter or Pennzoil ultra platinum oil with Wix oil filter?

Cudapower

Reaction score
If you study oil filter tests it is pretty apparent that Fram filters are the poorest of the group. The media is not as good as some and there has been rust found inside them. Wix makes probably the best filter and Napa gold which is also Wix made. You can get Wix filters at any O Rielly store by asking for them. Obviously most all of the brands work or they wouldn't be on the shelf. Its a degree of which is better. A standard filter mopar or fram catch about 93 % of contaminants other filters catch up to 99%. Many of the boxes will state that on the back. Amsoil, Valvoline, Mobil1 (high grade) Pennsoil Platinum Castrol Edge are all excellent oils. Just another opinion on the internet but I have an industrial engineering backgroulnd and I study oils a lot.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Fram ultra/xg filters for me. They're very high quality filters. Regular orange fram filters have been garbage for a long time...

NYRAM

Reaction score
Fram ultra/xg filters for me. They're very high quality filters. Regular orange fram filters have been garbage for a long time...
Did you see the video I posted yesterday a few post back? The fram extra guard was by far the worst filter out of the bunch.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Did you see the video I posted yesterday a few post back? The fram extra guard was by far the worst filter out of the bunch.

Yep. Fram XG filters are ultra filters NOT extra guard.

Edit
Xg10060 = ultra synthetic filter
Ph10060 = extraguard crap filter

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wix is my 'go to' filter of choice. Was also the standard filter for my Mercedes with an annual/10k mile service interval.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Jared B Just wanted to second what jared B said about oil filter. I installed 2011 hemi oil filter on my 19. Was tight but enough room and surely is twice the size of factory one. Definitely be doing this for life of truck. Thanks for the info jared

wthomps79

Reaction score
So for those complaining about the location of the filter and how it leaks on everything why not put on a relocation kit? Transguard has the 1127 that should work. It’s listed on working on the 2018 5.7l and I don’t believe there was any significant changes to 2019 so it should work. This way you can locate the filter where you can easily get to it and not make a mess, plus it switches to a less expensive filter.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading about oil pressure reductions using a relocation kit, so maybe that's why?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Location is not that bad for me. Imo I wouldn’t put relocation on. Money better spent else where.
As someone said already, if you ever done a 6.7 Cummins oil change:mad:. Then our rams are cake.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
@Jared B Just wanted to second what jared B said about oil filter. I installed 2011 hemi oil filter on my 19. Was tight but enough room and surely is twice the size of factory one. Definitely be doing this for life of truck. Thanks for the info jared

Here's what I used. It's longer like the 2011 but not wider. I may try the wider one next time. It would be the fram xg2. Its actually cheaper too.

IMG_20181221_105133.jpg

wthomps79

Reaction score
I thought of the possible flow and pressure drop but I searched for issues related to it and couldn’t find anything corroborating it.

If there is drop in oil pressure it typically would point to 1 of 2 things. Typically pressure and flow are inverse of each other providing the system power remains constant. If pressure drops that would mean you have more flow than you did previously. This is common on turbo engines when you go from a small restrictive turbo to a larger freer turbo. If flow stays constant but the pressure drops that signals a loss of power in the system. This would point to a failing oil pump that was weak prior to the install. Just thinking through all this, but it’s been a few years since my fluid power classes and I haven’t had to design any hydraulic systems in almost 8 years so I may be a bit rusty.

Haven’t had to change the oil filter on a 6.7 Cummins as all mine are 5.9 versions. Can’t be a whole lot worse than changing to hfpf filter on a 6.0 powerstroke.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I finally tackled the 1st oil change this morning (3,017 miles), and I appreciate all of the comments on this thread that helped me prepare for it properly.

My shopping list included a couple of 5-qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 jugs, a Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-113A filter, and a Fumoto F106SX drain valve (all purchased through Amazon).

The drain plug wasn't too bad of a task. I had an old flexible plastic cutting board lying around, so I stuck it under the oil pan, ran it over the sway bar, and duct-taped it in a curved shape to form a splash shield. It worked like a champ. I then installed the adjustable Fumoto valve, which should make this job even easier next time.

It took me a minute to find the oil filter, as I'm used to GM placement (not far from the oil drain plug). It's a little cramped in there, even though you can get at it from beneath and from the front. I didn't want to be looking at it from directly underneath when I broke it loose, but I found that I could sit between the front air dam and engine with the truck up on ramps and see what I was doing pretty clearly. With some patience and moderate effort, I was able to get the factory filter loose using a small metal-banded filter wrench. But even with a Ziploc bag over the filter, I spilled a good bit of oil...especially because I had to tilt the filter about 45 degrees to thread it out through the frame. Not an ideal spot, as others have indicated.

So...on the bright side, the factory fill oil came out looking nice and amber at 3K miles, I'm now running the best oil and filter I can buy, and I have a Fumoto drain valve installed to make the next oil change easier. Oh, and putting the truck on ramps with the air suspension maxed out gives me quite a bit of space to work with. On the downside, the oil filter is likely going to make a mess each time unless I get better about cracking it loose and 'catching' the oil...and even then, it'll be a bit of a pain.

Thanks again!

RichT

Reaction score
Costco has 6-quart packs of Mobile 1 for 28 bucks till the 20th. No clue if that is a typical sale or not, I usually don't do my own changes but will with this truck. Just hit 1000 today and will do soon.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Costco has 6-quart packs of Mobile 1 for 28 bucks till the 20th. No clue if that is a typical sale or not, I usually don't do my own changes but will with this truck. Just hit 1000 today and will do soon.
FYI: A 5-qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 is $24.97 on Amazon with free shipping for Prime members. Pennzoil Platinum (non-Ultra) is $22.97 for 5 qts. These aren't as cheap as standard Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 is not actually certified for our trucks (for some silly reason). Only the lower Mobil Super grades meet Chrysler specs.

(Note: On my old vehicle, I exclusively used Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and I'm still using the Mobil 1 EP filters on my new Ram. I'm just running PUP because it's the best available oil meeting Chrysler's spec.)

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI: A 5-qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 is $24.97 on Amazon with free shipping for Prime members. Pennzoil Platinum (non-Ultra) is $22.97 for 5 qts. These aren't as cheap as standard Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 is not actually certified for our trucks (for some silly reason). Only the lower Mobil Super grades meet Chrysler specs.

(Note: On my old vehicle, I exclusively used Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and I'm still using the Mobil 1 EP filters on my new Ram. I'm just running PUP because it's the best available oil meeting Chrysler's spec.)
I'll use the Penzoil Ultra Platinum on the next change coming soon. Thanks for the Amazon tip.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation on decent ramps at a good price that has taken some pressure over time like the 1500's weight? Time to retire my old heavy duty plastic ramps (got a good 10 yrs which was acceptable). I am starting to notice warping and a couple of cracks and at this point see it as a safety risk to continue using them.

Users who are viewing this thread