5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Oil Change Shopping list for the 5.7

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience in doing maintenance work themselves and then having the dealer service something under warranty? Any tips to offer up? Guessing just to keep a record of the receipts and have that available should there be any issues with DIY maintenance?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good to me! +1 on using the Fram and not a Mopar filter!
Funny...I was going to say that the only thing I'd change is to get rid of the Fram! But I've no experience with Mopar. I typically buy Purolator PureONE or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. If anyone really wants to geek out on this stuff, check out the forums at https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience in doing maintenance work themselves and then having the dealer service something under warranty? Any tips to offer up? Guessing just to keep a record of the receipts and have that available should there be any issues with DIY maintenance?

Just keep receipts and a log of what you do and when... you'll be fine.

Funny...I was going to say that the only thing I'd change is to get rid of the Fram! But I've no experience with Mopar. I typically buy Purolator PureONE or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. If anyone really wants to geek out on this stuff, check out the forums at https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.

I used Motorcraft filters with my F150 and no issues. Used a Mopar with this truck and tons of lifter noise at start up. 4th of July, only Walmart open, so Fram it was!

Kidder

Reaction score
I used Amsoil oil filters on my 2011 Hemi. I intend to do the same if I get a 2019. Or I will use Mopar. Fram, no gracias due to quality control issues (at least in the past).

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally would run the royal purple or Mobil1 filter. Also, there is a rebate on that oil just in case you didn't know. Looks like 7qts did the job for me.

573nny

Reaction score
Oil filters are a great topic on any vehicle board - everyone's got a preference. My problem is finding a match for a 2019 RAM. Most of the lookup tables only go to the 2018.

My question: is the 2019 5.7 Hemi using the same filter as the 2018 5.7 Hemi? Has the motor changed at all? :confused:

Kidder

Reaction score
Oil filters are a great topic on any vehicle board - everyone's got a preference. My problem is finding a match for a 2019 RAM. Most of the lookup tables only go to the 2018.

My question: is the 2019 5.7 Hemi using the same filter as the 2018 5.7 Hemi? Has the motor changed at all? :confused:

Call a dealer and ask for the Mopar oil filter part number for the 2018 and 2019 Hemi.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. If the filter is the same as the 2018, unless there's less room under the truck for some reason you can use a filter from a 2011 which is almost twice the size (width wise anyways I forget about length.) They went to a smaller filter in 2013 when they changed to the electronic power steering rack. I've been running Mobil 1 filters on my 2016 since the second oil change with no issue.

Another tip is to just initially loosen the filter off so you can spin it by hand and then place a ziplock bag over it and remove. The ziplock bag will catch all the oil that leaks out so it doesn't spill all over the steering rack.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another tip is to just initially loosen the filter off so you can spin it by hand and then place a ziplock bag over it and remove. The ziplock bag will catch all the oil that leaks out so it doesn't spill all over the steering rack.

That's a great idea. Changing that filter is awkward.

drsubie

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that this Mobil 1 filter (that's for the '18 5.7L hemi) does fit our '19 5.7L?
Mobil 1 M1-113A Extended Performance Oil Filter

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that this Mobil 1 filter (that's for the '18 5.7L hemi) does fit our '19 5.7L?
Mobil 1 M1-113A Extended Performance Oil Filter

It fits, I am using one but switching to Royal Purple filter at 5k

Users who are viewing this thread