5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Oil Change Shopping list for the 5.7

kjn86

Reaction score
I did my first oil change at 1281 miles today as well (PUP!) and I can't express enough how silly the filter is to deal with. Like almost everyone else mine was impossible to get off without an adjustable strap tool to loosen it, and even then, it was very hard to actually loosen it because there was so little room to move the tool once it was tight. Then a ton of oil came off with the filter. Thankfully I had put the gallon plastic bag around it as recommended here, which saved me from an even greater mess. By far the worst oil change of my life. I am either going to do ALL of them myself to stick it to Chrysler or do none of them, as I am sure they are trying to make to do since it's such a pain in the a$$. Honestly, that filter is in such a bad spot that it had to be purposeful.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience in doing maintenance work themselves and then having the dealer service something under warranty? Any tips to offer up? Guessing just to keep a record of the receipts and have that available should there be any issues with DIY maintenance?
I keep my receipts, keep a log, and take pics of the oil, filters, etc. I also take a pic of the dash with mileage. The photos are time-stamped by my phone. I have never had an issue but figure it's an extra step that's easy to do...just in case.

drsubie

Reaction score
Just changed my oil yesterday, at ~3200 miles in from new. Agree with everyone who says it's a PITA--oil spews over the sway bar, oil filter in a tight location that spills everywhere!

I ended up replacing the drain plug w/ a Fumoto oil drain valve. It should help make it easier to drain the oil, but the filter is in a terrible spot...

Captain

Reaction score
Funny...I was going to say that the only thing I'd change is to get rid of the Fram! But I've no experience with Mopar. I typically buy Purolator PureONE or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. If anyone really wants to geek out on this stuff, check out the forums at https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.

Hi,
I do not understand everyone's fascination with this site called, bob's the oil guy.
He is just one person with a comment. His findings posted on the internet are like anyone else.
Nobody talks about anything else about this "bob guy" other than he found a Fram filter he did not like.
So, according to people's comments on numerous forums all over the internet, some guy finds a filter he does not like and now everyone HATES Fram Filters. How narrow minded.
If the Fram filter was so dirty, Maybe the filter was doing it's job o_O Quoted from the call in radio show,
" Click and Clack The Tappet Brothers "
Fram filters have been and continue to be used in all sorts of racing circuits around the world since the 1960's. Can't be that bad can they ?

S

Smashy71

Hi,
I do not understand everyone's fascination with this site called, bob's the oil guy.
He is just one person with a comment. His findings posted on the internet are like anyone else.
Nobody talks about anything else about this "bob guy" other than he found a Fram filter he did not like.
So, according to people's comments on numerous forums all over the internet, some guy finds a filter he does not like and now everyone HATES Fram Filters. How narrow minded.
If the Fram filter was so dirty, Maybe the filter was doing it's job o_O Quoted from the call in radio show,
" Click and Clack The Tappet Brothers "
Fram filters have been and continue to be used in all sorts of racing circuits around the world since the 1960's. Can't be that bad can they ?

Pretty much all are great filters. Depending on the micron and as long as it has a bypass I’ll buy wix just because that’s all I ever use.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
There are millions of posts on the "Bob is the Oil Guy" forums. It may be the most popular forum to discuss motor oil in the world. I provided the link to that site in case anyone on this forum would like to learn more (much, much more) on motor oil, filtration, etc.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are millions of posts on the "Bob is the Oil Guy" forums. It may be the most popular forum to discuss motor oil in the world. I provided the link to that site in case anyone on this forum would like to learn more (much, much more) on motor oil, filtration, etc.
Some are not interested In learning more. They trust the.manufacturer implicitly. I feel like there are improvements available over factory specs.

Ducktapejoe

Reaction score
Has anyone yet found an oil filter relocation kit? It looks like it needs an adapter that is M 22 x 1.5 threads and fits about a 2.8 inch O.D. seal diameter. Also, a drain **** on the oil pan would be nice, if it is the same as the old ones, 14 x 1.5 should fit. I am just planning; I only have 300 miles currently.

Ducktapejoe

Reaction score
Has anyone yet found an oil filter relocation kit? It looks like it needs an adapter that is M 22 x 1.5 threads and fits about a 2.8 inch O.D. seal diameter. Also, a drain **** on the oil pan would be nice, if it is the same as the old ones, 14 x 1.5 should fit. I am just planning; I only have 300 miles currently.
Oops. didn't realize drain '****' was considered a bad word. A drain "valve" is also acceptable. Is that an outdated mechanical term?

bravo1

Reaction score
I saw a tech changing a 5th gen oil,and he had made out of thin sheet metal a drain runoff which just laid over the stab bar and it just ran into the oil catch drum.

drsubie

Reaction score
the Fumoto drain valve is the way to go; I ordered their F106S via Amazon:

Fumoto F106S

but if I had to do it all over again, definitely order the LONGER NIPPLE version, that way you can zip tie a rubber hose more securely to it...

Ducktapejoe

Reaction score
That could definitely work for the interim. Hopefully, there will be a nice relocation kit soon. This is the Headman kit. It is super nice, but it does not fit the 5th gen. ex_q80_w960_h600_ffffff_3363.jpg

geotex1

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to DIY my oil on my 5th Gen because unlike my 4th Gen dealer, no free-for-life oil changes were included! :(

I've yet to crawl under my new truck, and the rain is miserable today too! Perhaps one of you can help me decide what Fumoto is a best fit - long nipple or the adjustable 90 elbow? I like these valves a lot and have them on all of my other vehicles. This is the 90:

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f316l.html

You can point it to where you want and then lock it in-place.

drsubie

Reaction score
the adjustable Fumoto is pretty cool--that way you can rotate the nipple & tubing out of the way when your done. I ended up zip tieing my excess tubing to the sway bar to get it out of the way. It is 3x the cost of the non-adjustable one though...

geotex1

Reaction score
the adjustable Fumoto is pretty cool--that way you can rotate the nipple & tubing out of the way when your done. I ended up zip tieing my excess tubing to the sway bar to get it out of the way. It is 3x the cost of the non-adjustable one though...

It's on the rack at my local NAPA for $28.95. If you guys think it's the better fit, $30 one-time doesn't bother me considering the convenience!

Ducktapejoe

Reaction score
I think I am going to try one of these.
https://www.nospillsystems.com/
compact-system-oil-drain-plug.png speed-click-engine-oil-drain-plug.png standard-system-engine-oil-drain-plug.png

I am not sure which one yet though. I like the compact, but I think it drains slower than the others. The quick disconnect version seems excellent as long as it is not too big. My truck does go off road often, but for farm use, not hardcore off-roading or rock crawling that is why I have my Jeeps. Any of the options look smaller than the valve type drains.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread