5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

diesel shortage

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The US is outproducing everyone else

The US has the 4th largest recoverable Lithium reserves, more than China. Give it a couple years, more EV adoption and there will never be an oil shortage again. Give it a decade or two and oill will be worthless for all but factors of scale for large machinery and transports. This is the death throes of oil losing its power and grip on the world.
Bad thing is, the carbon footprint to mine just the lithium for the enormous EV battery plants, is going to yield way more emissions than the vehicles they are trying to to replace. Not to mention the other materials that need to be harvested/refined. And guess what fuel those big machines use. :unsure:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The US has the 4th largest recoverable Lithium reserves, more than China. Give it a couple years, more EV adoption and there will never be an oil shortage again. Give it a decade or two and oill will be worthless for all but factors of scale for large machinery and transports. This is the death throes of oil losing its power and grip on the world.

Well, we were energy independent with the last administration, and with this administration we are not. So to say “the US is outproducing everyone else” is one of those feel good misleading statements that sidesteps the real issues of the current policies and politicians in charge that got us in this desperate situation.

“Give it a couple years, more EV adoption and there will never be an oil shortage again.”
I think you are WAY off on your prediction.

Last edited:

Burnzie

Reaction score
You completely misrepresented my comment.

I asked that the thread stay on topic.

Calling people morons for rolling coal and a bunch of LGB posts isn't on topic.

Let's talk lack of refining capacity due to EPA regs, curtailment of drilling leases (or at least the access to the land), and the current administration's ineptness, or to play devil's advocate, oil company profits. But devolving into a mosh pit of mouth breathing senseless rants isn't on topic.
You deleted my post for saying ''Rolling coal'' calling it a Rant (in your words),and yet you now want to turn it into a political thing, typical RETRUMPLICAN .Go ahead and delete this one also, heck you should probably ban me from the site.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You deleted my post for saying ''Rolling coal'' calling it a Rant (in your words),and yet you now want to turn it into a political thing, typical RETRUMPLICAN .Go ahead and delete this one also, heck you should probably ban me from the site.
No need to wait, I’ll do it for him. Bye bye.

Klink

Reaction score
It’s the current administration‘s agenda to go “green“ that has caused America to have an oil, gas, and diesel shortage. Pure and simple.

This shortage has got America in a very desperate situation, and taxing oil companies to try to get more oil from them is not going to work. The only solution is to go back to drill baby drill, and get rid of the people that want to go green at any expense.

I‘m very afraid that after we get done asking for oil, that America’s finest will have to go fight for it.
You NAILED it.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My turbo diesel Mercedes gets an average of 36 mpg, my truck gets 17, and they’re almost identical cost to fill up right now… :/

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'm curious what product will be the basis for all the consumer plastics?

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, we were energy dependent with the last administration, and with this administration we are not. So to say “the US is outproducing everyone else” is one of those feel good misleading statements that sidesteps the real issues of the current policies and politicians in charge that got us in this desperate situation.

“Give it a couple years, more EV adoption and there will never be an oil shortage again.”
I think you are WAY off on your prediction.
There really is nothing wrong with developing alternate ways to power different aspects of our economy. No one in their right mind should automatically be against finding cleaner, more sustainable methods to power our economy and continue the truly blessed, fortunate lifestyles we enjoy in America.
The problem is the way it's being done. The greenies have gotten themselves into a panic that the sky is falling, and just as Chicken Little did, today's greenies are running around panicked, not at all rational, and forging ahead at all costs with a dubious plan.
So rather than set our heels and just engage in an exhausting tug-of-war and name-calling where we all lose and no good progress is made at all, BOTH sides of the political aisle should work together, compromise where necessry, and come up with a plan that (a) is doable without hamstringing large segments of the economy, but (b) does in fact get us closer and closer to more sustainable, cleaner energy choices.
For example, as we all know and many have pointed out here, there is NO currently viable plan to wean America off of liquid petroleum for most of our transportation needs or natural gas for generation of electricity. BUT, if solar panels can be made in this country (or an ally country) in a truly environmentally-sustainable way to provide a decent chunk of home electricity needs, then we SHOULD work toward that, to leave that much more natural gas and liquid petroleum for the applications and industries that truly can't operate without petroleum products (military operations, heavy transportation, mineral mining, air travel, steel & aluminum production, plastics production, etc.) Using solar photovoltaics where they are appropriate only makes the US economy more resilient to external shocks. Of course, nuclear energy SHOULD ALSO be considered to be a significant part of the mix.
Today's EVs and solar panels are not the complete answer, indeed perhaps not even a good answer at the moment. But they ARE stepping stones to a more sustainable, resilient energy system, and eventually to reduced exhaust emissions. We will all benefit from that, and we should all support that. Drawing up sides, name-calling, bluffing & blustering, setting one's heels - all are childish behaviors and both political sides of the energy-environment debate should just stop it right now and start to act like One Nation Under God again.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There really is nothing wrong with developing alternate ways to power different aspects of our economy. No one in their right mind should automatically be against finding cleaner, more sustainable methods to power our economy and continue the truly blessed, fortunate lifestyles we enjoy in America.
The problem is the way it's being done. The greenies have gotten themselves into a panic that the sky is falling, and just as Chicken Little did, today's greenies are running around panicked, not at all rational, and forging ahead at all costs with a dubious plan.
So rather than set our heels and just engage in an exhausting tug-of-war and name-calling where we all lose and no good progress is made at all, BOTH sides of the political aisle should work together, compromise where necessry, and come up with a plan that (a) is doable without hamstringing large segments of the economy, but (b) does in fact get us closer and closer to more sustainable, cleaner energy choices.
For example, as we all know and many have pointed out here, there is NO currently viable plan to wean America off of liquid petroleum for most of our transportation needs or natural gas for generation of electricity. BUT, if solar panels can be made in this country (or an ally country) in a truly environmentally-sustainable way to provide a decent chunk of home electricity needs, then we SHOULD work toward that, to leave that much more natural gas and liquid petroleum for the applications and industries that truly can't operate without petroleum products (military operations, heavy transportation, mineral mining, air travel, steel & aluminum production, plastics production, etc.) Using solar photovoltaics where they are appropriate only makes the US economy more resilient to external shocks. Of course, nuclear energy SHOULD ALSO be considered to be a significant part of the mix.
Today's EVs and solar panels are not the complete answer, indeed perhaps not even a good answer at the moment. But they ARE stepping stones to a more sustainable, resilient energy system, and eventually to reduced exhaust emissions. We will all benefit from that, and we should all support that. Drawing up sides, name-calling, bluffing & blustering, setting one's heels - all are childish behaviors and both political sides of the energy-environment debate should just stop it right now and start to act like One Nation Under God again.
Real simple, do all that WHILE staying energy independent, as opposed to making this nation under GOD unsafe as we are now.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Real simple, do all that WHILE staying energy independent, as opposed to making this nation under GOD unsafe as we are now.
Agreed. I am not against using alternate sources of energy. The problem is that politicians use the “green” deal to push an agenda. Its not really about saving the planet.

We need to take care of our own country, before worrying about others.

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. I am not against using alternate sources of energy. The problem is that politicians use the “green” deal to push an agenda. Its not really about saving the planet.

We need to take care of our own country, before worrying about others.

And sometimes they let the cat out of the bag and the media gives it no airtime.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I betting it all become mute after the election. As stated the supply has gotten low before without all the attention.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m hearing some areas are out already. One state mentioned was Idaho. Any truth to this?

TSL

Reaction score
Original Post posed a question about storing diesel fuel. Some-one said that it seemed kinda impractical ( how many 5 gal cans can you stash in your garage kind of thing ).
But here's a question : what about getting say a 250 or 500 gal fuel tank set up somewhere on your property, assuming you have the space to do that, and then have a truck come fill it?
I guess a fuel pump would be handy too, unless you put it up on a stand and gravity feed it.
I'm thinking that diesel is OK to store for a long time, is that correct ? Assuming you're not in a super cold part of the country and worried about gelling etc, but isn't that taken care of with winter fuel blends ?
Of course prices are pretty high right now and we don't have a crystal ball. It would stink to buy 500 gal @ 5 bucks or more / gal only to see prices steadily drop for some unforeseen reason ( like a massive global recession ! )

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Diesel isn't well suited for long term storage unless under ideal conditions. Particularly with the use of the CP4 pump, I'd be leery using any fuel older than probably 6 months. Less if stored over 70F and/or not treated with a stabilizer.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When one side is on the moral high ground and believe they are fighting evil, saving the planet, creating equality, etc., that will never happen.
You're completely missing the point.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And sometimes they let the cat out of the bag and the media gives it no airtime.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The radical greenies ae pushing their agenda of control and redistribution of wealth, without providing one shred of evidence as to the net effect of EVs on the environment, and no economic analysis either. AOC and her hysterical, control-freak "Green New Deal" friends are pushing an agenda to "save the planet", a plan that has no solid engineering analysis to back it up - only emotion, fear and hysterics. In other words AOC≠AOK (mathematical representation of "AOC is not AOK" ;-)
That said, America SHOULD use its ingenuity and entrepreneurship to promote sensible applications of alternate forms of energy, with proper engineering analysis to know for certain where a given form of alternate energy pencils out environmentally & economically. That will only make our economy and our society stronger and more resilient in the long run. We shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater just because AOC and her crew are agenda-driven morons.
People in America have lost faith in science, which is too bad. But in order to determine the best mix of EVs, solar photovoltaics, natural gas, nuclear, etc., what we really need is ENGINEERING ANALYSIS, not science. Engineers use the scientific data as part of their analysis, but go well beyond that to calculate economic and environmental impacts, so that sound decisions can be made.
When all we offer are automatic, knee-jerk reactions against AOC and her "Green New Deal", we let her control the agenda. The best way forward is for sensible people armed with verifiable facts to control the agenda and move the ball down the field in a logical, sensible manner, with solid engineering analysis backing it up. Just always reacting negatively and vehemently means we lost.

Users who are viewing this thread