5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

diesel shortage

mdirads

Reaction score
anyone concerned about a potential shortage? would it be wise to keep fuel on hand for personal commuting? I own other cars that run on gasoline, but I’d rather drive my Ram.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone that replies to the thread needs to stay ON TOPIC.

If I have to clean up a mess again, the thread will get nuked and everyone gets warnings.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I've been reading the news stories of the pending shortages of diesel in the northeast down through South Carolina. My takeaway is the reduced amounts of diesel are causing inflated prices per gallon forcing many small to mid-size trucking services out of business. They simply can't afford the fuel costs. From the interviews I've seen, most trucking companies say that once diesel hits the mid-six dollar range, they are pulling the plug.

I think the real issue isn't the possible shortage of diesel but the price increases for diesel fuel. This will cause loss of services like trucking. The real threat is empty shelves at the stores. Think about what diesel powers, locomotives, trucks, fire fighting equipment, home heating, and garbage pick up to mention a few critical services. This country's infrastructure moves on diesel and a loss of diesel fuel will cause mayhem in the affected areas.

As far as keeping fuel on hand, how? What can we do, go out and purchase 5-gallon cans and get them filled, how many should we get? How long can this last? I don't think it is worth it.

I wouldn't be concerned with your gas car either, recall how gasoline is transported to your local gas station, on the back of an oil burner.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m extremely concerned about the potential diesel shortage. The general public doesn’t realize how much diesel is embedded into everything: tractor-trailers, agriculture, industrial processing, back up generators, locomotives, military logistics/heavy vehicles, and on and on. The point is, farmers will have to stop growing food at scale and our food stops moving. It will be a disaster scenario if we run out. Windmills and electric schoolbuses aren’t solving this problem.

mdirads

Reaction score
I did some additional reading after my initial post. Seems as if n8zcc is correct: the issue is with business-dependent fuel, and personal consumption should not be affected by supply, but rather by price. I had considered acquiring 5-gallon containers, but also realized how much a PITA that would be.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s very concerning for sure. It’ll just make things worse.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't expect it to really be an issue since winter is so warm right now.. Diesel is the first thing out of refineries usually.

I have a few fuel caddies I use for hurricane season. They work great, and if you put diesel in them they'd last indefinitely. Gas needs to be stabilized. They were $120 at northern tool for 14 or 16 gallons?

Klink

Reaction score
THIS. It's absurd TRYING to have the discussion without discussing the root cause.
Well, allegedly it would only affect several southeastern states. But anyway, you can't have a thread like this without discussing WHY this is happening, and Brutal already said we can't get into that, so might as well go ahead and close this thread down.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The diesel shortage is NOT due to rednecks and their diesel trucks ( the posts were deleted going into detail ). The shortage IS due to drilling, oil exploration, and refineries shutting down within the last 2 years. America is now dependent on foreign oil and we are having trouble begging for it with Russia at war.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with discussing the root causes, but it turns into a giant cesspool of conspiracy theories and political name calling, and in this case a bunch of rants about rolling coal and rednecks.

If people could be adult about it, and use facts instead of feels and unfounded rumors, it would be tolerable.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, allegedly it would only affect several southeastern states. But anyway, you can't have a thread like this without discussing WHY this is happening, and Brutal already said we can't get into that, so might as well go ahead and close this thread down.

You completely misrepresented my comment.

I asked that the thread stay on topic.

Calling people morons for rolling coal and a bunch of LGB posts isn't on topic.

Let's talk lack of refining capacity due to EPA regs, curtailment of drilling leases (or at least the access to the land), and the current administration's ineptness, or to play devil's advocate, oil company profits. But devolving into a mosh pit of mouth breathing senseless rants isn't on topic.

wjcook68

Reaction score
FWIW. I read an article that said the supply hit 26.5 days in 2019 so a low number is not without precedence. I think we will make it through this as long as they keep refining. The graph shows we have had low supply before and we made it.

1003x-1.jpg

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The diesel shortage is NOT due to rednecks and their diesel trucks ( the posts were deleted going into detail ). The shortage IS due to drilling, oil exploration, and refineries shutting down within the last 2 years. America is now dependent on foreign oil and we are having trouble begging for it with Russia at war.
The US hasn't truly been dependent on foreign oil since late 2016 for most things and everything since 2019. The oil we import is offsetting oil exports for different grades and niche markets.

Exports are going NUTS, much of the imports are for refinement and exporting.

U.S. Exports of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

Product
Field Production
Biofuels Plant Net ProductionRefinery & Blender Net ProductionImportsNet ReceiptsAdjust- mentsStock ChangeRefinery & Blender Net InputsExportsProducts Supplied
Finished Petroleum Products
- -819,32973971-248- -3,40116,994
Finished Motor Gasoline
- -89,87394712- -9639,080
Reformulated
- -3,017--150- --3,002
Conventional
- -86,85694862- -9636,078
Finished Aviation Gasoline
- -- -140- --4- --18
Kerosene-Type Jet Fuel
- -01,68385- --92- -2111,650
Kerosene
- --13-- --1- -141
Distillate Fuel Oil
- -05,142176-24- -1,4243,871
15 ppm Sulfur and Under
- -04,929166-8- -1,2283,859
Greater than 15 to 500 ppm Sulfur
- -010010--3- -1048
Greater than 500 ppm Sulfur
- --1140- -18- -924

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is that from selling all of our strategic oil reserve? 😬

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s the current administration‘s agenda to go “green“ that has caused America to have an oil, gas, and diesel shortage. Pure and simple.

This shortage has got America in a very desperate situation, and taxing oil companies to try to get more oil from them is not going to work. The only solution is to go back to drill baby drill, and get rid of the people that want to go green at any expense.

I‘m very afraid that after we get done asking for oil, that America’s finest will have to go fight for it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s the current administration‘s agenda to go “green“ that has caused America to have an oil, gas, and diesel shortage. Pure and simple.

This shortage has got America in a very desperate situation, and taxing oil companies to try to get more oil from them is not going to work. The only solution is to go back to drill baby drill, and get rid of the people that want to go green at any expense.

I‘m very afraid that after we get done asking for oil, that America’s finest will have to go fight for it.
Yes! Get back to energy independence.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The US is outproducing everyone else

The US has the 4th largest recoverable Lithium reserves, more than China. Give it a couple years, more EV adoption and there will never be an oil shortage again. Give it a decade or two and oill will be worthless for all but factors of scale for large machinery and transports. This is the death throes of oil losing its power and grip on the world.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The US is outproducing everyone else

The US has the 4th largest recoverable Lithium reserves, more than China. Give it a couple years, more EV adoption and there will never be an oil shortage again. Give it a decade or two and oill will be worthless for all but factors of scale for large machinery and transports. This is the death throes of oil losing its power and grip on the world.
They would rather fuel be high, thinking it will make people want EVs more.

Users who are viewing this thread