5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Ram solve the problem of warped Rambox lids on newly built vehicles?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like I said in another post....the pros outweigh the cons with the rambox. Did about 6 months worth of research before ordering it. I have them now and super happy about it after a year and 3 months now.

As long as the lid closes with no issue, I'm fine with some warping on the corners, or if the edge is closer to one side than the other. The pros outweigh the cons for me.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Ready Go

Reaction score
I adjusted my past 2 trucks using a large adjustable wrench. Really don’t need the tool
How did you bend the metal loop?
I'm trying to tighten my lids down to close the horizontal/bottom gap. I need the loop lower basically so the latch/lid has to come down more to catch.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you bend the metal loop?
I'm trying to tighten my lids down to close the horizontal/bottom gap. I need the loop lower basically so the latch/lid has to come down more to catch.
It takes a large adjustable wrench because the loop is pretty tough to bend.

Don’t have truck avail with ram box for pics. The pics will illustrate.

For bending down, work on top and bottom. Also, move wrench on left side and right side as needed, etc. IMG_2901.jpeg IMG_2898.jpeg IMG_2900.jpeg IMG_2899.jpeg

Same goes for left and right. Pics are reference on how to position wrench. Quite a bit of force at end of wrench. Note: bend loops in ram box, don’t remove and put in vise.

Takes a minute or 2 to figure out leverage, but works well.

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
It takes a large adjustable wrench because the loop is pretty tough to bend.

Don’t have truck avail with ram box for pics. The pics will illustrate.

For bending down, work on top and bottom. Also, move wrench on left side and right side as needed, etc.

Same goes for left and right. Pics are reference on how to position wrench. Quite a bit of force at end of wrench. Note: bend loops in ram box, don’t remove and put in vise.

Takes a minute or 2 to figure out leverage, but works well.
Ok, I convinced..I'll give it a try this weekend! Can't find the tool (which is my preference) anywhere, so I'll try this. I did use large crescent wrench to get the side-by-side adjusted..might as well try this too!
Thanks👍

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I convinced..I'll give it a try this weekend! Can't find the tool (which is my preference) anywhere, so I'll try this. I did use large crescent wrench to get the side-by-side adjusted..might as well try this too!
Thanks👍
I adjusted down, and side to side also. There is limited room on maneuvering wrench. I had to try wrench upright and upside down.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I adjusted down, and side to side also. There is limited room on maneuvering wrench. I had to try wrench upright and upside down.
I can see it'll be tight for the up/down adjustments for sure.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can see it'll be tight for the up/down adjustments for sure.
I can’t remember if I was able to work on bottom for moving down due to limited room. Maybe bending just top down worked.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Ok, here's what worked!

25lb heavy hammer with a 12" wooden handle!

Wedged it into the metal loop and used my left hand to hold it tight in place and my right hand to push hard towards the back side of the Rambox to bend the loop downwards..and it worked!

SKETCHY, but the 25lb hammer head helped with leveraging the loop.

Right side barely took one hard push and it's almost perfect, so I quit!

Left side improved quite a bit..still slightly high front and back, but that Rambox lid isn't perfect..the whole lid needs to slide inwards towards the bed center. NOT F-ing with that!

I can live with these now..would like left lid to be better fit, but ok with this.

Attachments

• 20231116_095350.jpg
    20231116_095350.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231116_095559.jpg
    20231116_095559.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 49

Ready Go

Reaction score
**Side note..the Ramboxes weren't as out-of-adjustment initially as they've become. They started to warp as soon as I put the Mopar Rollup Tonneau Cover on. It puts slight pressure on the Ramboxes and can't really be loosen. The weather stripping even keeps the boxes from fully opening.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
No. My 2020 RAM is only 1 month old and my lids are already warping. I took it to the dealer and they took pictures and made a note of it. They told me they would be more than happy to replace the boxes if I wanted to. They told me it’s a vendor problem. They’ve already had to replace some boxes on other customers trucks. My lids are not as bad as some other pictures I have seen. Right now it does not bother me too much but I just wanted the dealer to make a note of it in case it gets worse
a353ac0307cc6c6ffb8b1495c390d97e.jpg

8ab7c8f0552a4617411f54f69d4180e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I with all the bad press on these ram boxes why in the world did Ram make them standard equipment on the new 2025 1500 limited? I don’t understand why someone should pay north of 80 grand and have to worry about warping Rambox lids and alignment issues. In addition most of us aren’t buying the limited to throw tools and such in the bedsides. We are buying them for comfort while pulling our toys. I have an 25 order pending at dealer for a limited but I don’t want the rambox and there isn’t a delete option for the 5.7 box. Now I am measuring in the morning to see if the 6’4 will fit in garage. I have drove silverados for years but GM has me ticked off this round So I am going to try a Ram.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I with all the bad press on these ram boxes why in the world did Ram make them standard equipment on the new 2025 1500 limited? I don’t understand why someone should pay north of 80 grand and have to worry about warping Rambox lids and alignment issues. In addition most of us aren’t buying the limited to throw tools and such in the bedsides. We are buying them for comfort while pulling our toys. I have an 25 order pending at dealer for a limited but I don’t want the rambox and there isn’t a delete option for the 5.7 box. Now I am measuring in the morning to see if the 6’4 will fit in garage. I have drove silverados for years but GM has me ticked off this round So I am going to try a Ram.
It does seem odd that Ramboxes are standard. I'd bet that it's a programming issue with the build & price website, and even the ordering screens the dealers use have been known to have anomalies. Maybe wait awhile and see if the ordering websites get straightened out closer to the actual model year production.
I don't use my Ramboxes for tools, I put ropes, tiedowns, extra DEF, a couple of towels, etc., so it keeps the cab free of a lot of that stuff.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does seem odd that Ramboxes are standard. I'd bet that it's a programming issue with the build & price website, and even the ordering screens the dealers use have been known to have anomalies. Maybe wait awhile and see if the ordering websites get straightened out closer to the actual model year production.
I don't use my Ramboxes for tools, I put ropes, tiedowns, extra DEF, a couple of towels, etc., so it keeps the cab free of a lot of that stuff.
It's not a programming error, they did it on purpose.
No idea why though.

I do love my Ramboxes, but it's def not for everyone. It really reduces the size of the bed for typical construction contractors.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I went ahead and just got the 6’4 bed on it last night. I am honestly too picky to take a chance on seeing those ram boxes not fit right in the mirrors.
It would drive me to the loony bin. It will just fit in the garage with about a foot and a half left lol. I was going to get the trailer tech package but when he clicked it a pop up came up and said the tow mirrors were mandatory, I don’t want those they are too wide for me. Now I am just waiting on my salesman to send me the order number for it. This all seems so weird as I have drove silverados for 20 plus years. So I am a newb to Rams But learning a lot here!

dajogejr

Reaction score
You either love or hate ‘em. I’m not concerned if they’re not 100% perfectly straight. What I care about is if they close properly, seal properly.
Mine do, on my 15 they did on my 23 they do.
You don’t like ‘em… cool.
I use mine to keep stuff from rolling around in my cab or trying to reach into the bed for stuff I can easily get access to.
I put ratchet straps, tow strap, jumper cables, small air compressor, washer fluid, and my trailer hitches in mine. I have used one side to ice down some beverages in the past…but understand, they’re not insulated…so…MORE ice :)

They are invaluable to me to keep things from rolling around yet easily accessible. I keep my winter brush/scraper in mine so I don’t have to open a door to get it, letting snow in… and have it sitting out.

Yes, there is a little room under the rear seat.. I get that. But to me, they’re very, very useful and welcome.
I only wish they were available in the 6ft boxes as I had them in my 2015.. not available that I could find in newer models.
Now I can’t put a 6 foot table in the back of the bed and close the tailgate…:(

@go-ram, I see we have similar uses…

rightushook

Reaction score
I couldn't live with mine; I had a 2019 power wagon with them, and they were horrible. dealer "fixed" them once and they came loose 3 days later. They were warping and actually starting to rub paint off on either end. Dealer told me they wouldn't be able to keep them from warping. I ended up trading for a non ram box truck. I couldn't justify the price of the truck and it to look like absolute dog ****. It's a shame Ram had to cheapen them to the point they warp so badly. Same thing with the ever present 3rd brake light leak that they also can't/won't fix.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I couldn't live with mine; I had a 2019 power wagon with them, and they were horrible. dealer "fixed" them once and they came loose 3 days later. They were warping and actually starting to rub paint off on either end. Dealer told me they wouldn't be able to keep them from warping. I ended up trading for a non ram box truck. I couldn't justify the price of the truck and it to look like absolute dog ****. It's a shame Ram had to cheapen them to the point they warp so badly. Same thing with the ever present 3rd brake light leak that they also can't/won't fix.
From what I understand we have differnet Ramboxes then what you had, we have gen 2.

The real problem is they are 100% plastic, plastic will melt and warp under the sun.
I think it should be metal like the body of the truck that doesn't warp.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I understand we have differnet Ramboxes then what you had, we have gen 2.

The real problem is they are 100% plastic, plastic will melt and warp under the sun.
I think it should be metal like the body of the truck that doesn't warp.
the top should be metal …. and that would help with warp and alignment … mines been great they warped and i just added some modifications to have it stay down

dajogejr

Reaction score
I had them in my 2015 limited w/ 6 foot bed, 8 plus years of Michigan hot/cold weather never had a warp problem.
Have ‘em now on my 23 limited…. 7K miles…. Will keep an eye on but don’t expect issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online