5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Ram solve the problem of warped Rambox lids on newly built vehicles?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Many have complained about warped Rambox lids. Anyone know if they have solved this problem for newly built vehicles? Or is it a flaw inherent to its composite construction material that Ram can’t/hasn’t bothered to fix?

Thanks!

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They haven't fixed the 3rd brake light gasket leaking since 2009, created an A/C problem by removing the heater core valve in 2018, and haven't addressed it yet, created a Tailgate Ajar Warning not operating when it did prior to an OTA "update" and acknowledged that it was done in error via a Star Online Publication and haven't fixed that yet...I doubt this is even on the radar.

RamVader

Reaction score
Hi all,

Many have complained about warped Rambox lids. Anyone know if they have solved this problem for newly built vehicles? Or is it a flaw inherent to its composite construction material that Ram can’t/hasn’t bothered to fix?

Thanks!

No. My 2020 RAM is only 1 month old and my lids are already warping. I took it to the dealer and they took pictures and made a note of it. They told me they would be more than happy to replace the boxes if I wanted to. They told me it’s a vendor problem. They’ve already had to replace some boxes on other customers trucks. My lids are not as bad as some other pictures I have seen. Right now it does not bother me too much but I just wanted the dealer to make a note of it in case it gets worse
a353ac0307cc6c6ffb8b1495c390d97e.jpg

8ab7c8f0552a4617411f54f69d4180e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You know it's bad if you can even see it in their ads. I've seen commercials featuring Ram 1500's with mis-aligned rambox lids. The rambox is not a popular option for most buyers. I don't see them fixing this anytime soon to be honest. I think it would be more likely that they'd stop offering the option before fixing it. For me, the usefulness of the rambox outweighs the aesthetic issues of the lid fitment.

MrB

Reaction score
The RamBox was the main reason I started considering getting a new Ram (saw it at the Atlanta Auto Show in February). After reading all of the comments about warping and discoloring I ended up ordering a new Ram without RamBox. Turns out there are plenty of other good reasons to buy a 5th gen.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The RamBox was the main reason I started considering getting a new Ram (saw it at the Atlanta Auto Show in February). After reading all of the comments about warping and discoloring I ended up ordering a new Ram without RamBox. Turns out there are plenty of other good reasons to buy a 5th gen.
This was exactly my thought process. My friend has a 2015 with Ramboxes, and they are great for storage and sold me on getting them. 5 years later they're warped slightly (not as bad as some on here), and after reading through here I decided against them. I can count on 0 of my fingers how many times I've actually needed the capability of a Rambox in over a decade of driving trucks. I guess if you're someone that regularly has a tool box in the bed they'd be great, but I've personally never had that need.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I really liked the idea of using them for groceries. Are most people just putting their groceries in the back seat?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really liked the idea of using them for groceries. Are most people just putting their groceries in the back seat?
With a crew cab I can fit both my kids in their car seats, my wife in the front seat, and a whole shopping cart of groceries on the floor of the back seat. This cab is gigantic.

DannyMc

Reaction score
Great for groceries (watch the tall cereal boxes!). I find them useful for camera case, backpack, purse, etc. That you don’t want to leave on “full display” in the backseat when the truck is in a public parking area.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This was exactly my thought process. My friend has a 2015 with Ramboxes, and they are great for storage and sold me on getting them. 5 years later they're warped slightly (not as bad as some on here), and after reading through here I decided against them. I can count on 0 of my fingers how many times I've actually needed the capability of a Rambox in over a decade of driving trucks. I guess if you're someone that regularly has a tool box in the bed they'd be great, but I've personally never had that need.
It's funny to me that you're quantifying this as a need. Of course no one needs the rambox option. People have been driving and using pickups for decades without them. If you're happy without it that's great. Since you've never had them you really don't know what you're missing. There are lots of other options for additional storage that you can add aftermarket.

But for me, it's not just the bed-side storage boxes. That's only half of the versatility of the rambox option for me. You can also get the bed divider/extender, that works only with the rambox beds. Lots of adjustment points for keeping things at the back of the bed. And it converts to a bed extender for items which are too long for the bed. It also works to help secure lumber in the bed when the tailgate is down. I've tried many other solutions for a bed divider, and none of them even come close to the convenience of this divider. So what if the lids don't look perfect. Most people don't even notice it unless I point it out to them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't you also need the bed utility group for the divider?
Yes, you do for 5th gen (DT) models. For the classic 1500 (DS) models you don't because the divider automatically comes with the rambox option. I'm not sure if this will still be true if there is a 2021 classic 1500. I haven't heard if they're going to offer the 1500 classic after the 2020 model year.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the problem perceived to be a heat related issue? If so, I was looking at a DT with the Ram Box last week that's been basking in the sun for many weeks at my dealer. There was no sign of warping or any misalignment. I took particular notice because of the complaints I've seen on the web.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 037458 miles.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has been brought up in other threads here. Some don't care for the Ramboxes. For me, I don't care if they never align perfectly... you can't see it unless you're looking for it, and their functionality to me greatly outweighs a slight cosmetic issue.

If they are aligned so poorly or warped so badly that people start commenting on it, then maybe I see a point.

Would it be best if they perfectly fit? Yes. But as long as they seal decently, I can live with a little warping. My 2014's Ramboxes never were perfectly aligned (or maybe they were warped), but they sealed, and I loved them.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do both. They're super handy for groceries and gym equipment, along with the traditional "truck stuff" (tow straps, hitches, etc.).

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the problem perceived to be a heat related issue? If so, I was looking at a DT with the Ram Box last week that's been basking in the sun for many weeks at my dealer. There was no sign of warping or any misalignment. I took particular notice because of the complaints I've seen on the web.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 037458 miles.
I'm just guessing here, but I think it's probably more likely to be residual stress that's imparted during the molding process. The aspect ratio of the black plastic part of the lids is prone to bending/warping, and if there is any stress due to unbalanced forces during plastic injection into the mold, or uneven cooling, then residual stress will be built into the part. Of course it could also be a design issue, but it could also be a residual-stress issue.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i use one side for tools and one side for truck stuff ... i have rope ratchet straps tow hitchs/ tow hooks ... so much **** in my ramboxes its useful to me and even if its alittle warm idk if its gonna be noticeable honestly im thinking about just linex all that little black material. just to stiffen it up a bit

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has a friend with a 2020 Ram 2500 with Ram Boxes and the alignment looks like it's still true from manufacturing. But I think the box contour of the 2500 is different than a DT and not of the same mold, maybe not even the same supplier.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 049108 miles.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s worth the trade off. I know some guys will complain about the Rambox warping and downright avoid them but to each their own. The pros far outweighs the cons to me. I noticed a slight warping with mine but I just couldn’t fathom how it would really bother someone that much and unless your really looking it’s hard to notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread