5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Device not supported

Diddy Sanchez

Reaction score
I keep getting the message device not supported every 5-10 minutes. Phone is synced and works. Anyone have any idea whats causing that?
Got some bad news for ya...my 19 rebel had the same issue, kept doing it for a while until eventually the stereo constantly started restarting...I’d get it into the dealer ASAP

IgorAfichuk

Reaction score
So i am at the dealership right now for this issue. I have an iphone X completely up to date. I have a 12 inch screen with the tech package on a 2019 Ram Limited. I eliminated the phone very early in the process by turning off bluetooth and forgetting Uconnect. I also was on the phone with Uconnect for 30 mins the other night when the problem was happening every 5 seconds. This morning as I was headed to the dealership it was only happening every 10-15 minutes. Took 25 mins to even persist this morning.

So the service tech just told me that this is a known issue. A slow start or lower voltage on the battery can throw an error. Well that causes an issue and causes the Device Not Supported issue. The issue will then slowly go away as the radio repairs itself. We will see what happens when they give me my truck back.
There a joke......) a very simple solution just unplug your Bluetooth devices you have on charge...

FriscoRam

Reaction score
I have 19 Limited, 12" display. Just starting getting "Hubs Not Supported" error message. Cannot find any information on that error online. Nothing is plugged into any USB devices. The message does not go away after pressing OK. just pops right back up. everything else seems to work, but that error overlays everything.

Dealership issue?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 19 Limited, 12" display. Just starting getting "Hubs Not Supported" error message. Cannot find any information on that error online. Nothing is plugged into any USB devices. The message does not go away after pressing OK. just pops right back up. everything else seems to work, but that error overlays everything.

Dealership issue?
Never seen that message before but sounds like possible defective usb hub. I would disconnect negetive battery terminal for about 20 Minutes and then reconnect . This usually does the trick for the typical device not supported messages. If not sounds like dealer visit is next step.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

dkoster02

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue. "device not supported" overlaying the display every 5 seconds. The day after I got the truck. Anyone having luck with the negative battery disconnect for 10 min, or should I just take it in under warranty?

genisi

Reaction score
This issue is driving me insane. Bought a top-of-the-line Ram 1500 Limited about 2 weeks ago and the issue started happening on Day 4 during a camping trip. Message pops up every 10 seconds - 3 minutes, and we have literally tried everything (factory resetting the phones, deleted devices from the vehicle and vice versa, OS updates, ensuring Uconnect is up-to-date etc). Brought it to the dealer twice this week - had to take it back the 2nd day because they said it was working fine, but it was doing the same thing. 'Tech guy' at the dealership said he connected his iPhone 11 Pro (same phone as mine) to it and used Apple Carplay for 30 minutes with no issues... yet I pick up the truck and sit in the parking lot and it happens within 2 minutes, and Carplay still doesn't work.

Finally insisted that they order a replacement USB hub based on the posts in these forums. So frustrating!

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Mine just started doing this as well. Only on startup or when I unplug, hop out and leave the truck running while I run into the store real quick. Come back out, plug in and get the same message. USB function under media is not showing up.

Phone is a OnePlus 7T Pro. Same phone as when I got the truck a year ago, tried a new cable and OEM cable. Other ports as well. same message pops up.

I have done the negative battery disconnect, unpairing and forgetting devices, updating Android auto. Nada.. same stuff. Frustrating.

dkoster02

Reaction score
Its super irritating. But sometimes i read the issues just work themselves out...which sort of happened to me, and is unsettling. I dropped the truck off and left it with the dealer for the day and they decided to order the hub. Its of course on back order (I'm still waiting). That was two weeks ago. When I picked up the truck after they ordered the part, it has been working fine every since and hasnt done it. I'm still going to go get it replaced when they call, but it's just bizarre.

I hope your trucks fix themselves too.

FriscoRam

Reaction score
here's how mine reacts. i connect a phone to USB, it works fine until i turn off the truck. once the truck is turned back on, i get the "hubs not supported" error message overlay on the screen. pressing OK does nothing to resolve the issue. disconnecting the USB connection and turning off the truck, then turning it back seems to make the error go away, but it sucks knowing that if i connect anything to the USB that error will pop up every time.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed in the latest update that the radio resumes the connection to Android Auto very quickly. Much faster than before. I know that the Uconnect head unit never really restarts. So I have a theory that Uconnect tries to remember and resume the last connection in some accelerated manner and doesn't recognize the same device (although it is the same) and throws the error. It' seems like a software issue. My truck is an early build 2019 and has been fine until the last OTA Uconnect update. Now, the "Device not supported" pops up after using the USB connection. It will persist after that for a few power cycles then stop doing it. It's odd. It'll come back after using USB again. Maybe it is the hub but why, with my truck's age, would it start having the same issue as brand new trucks and year old trucks. Seems the only thing common is the firmware version.

My truck got the OTA update later than most because Sprint has lousy service in my area and the download takes a good signal for maybe a half hour to complete. I basically had to pull over and sit and wait to let it complete.

Richluck

Reaction score
Posted this solution on another thread about this problem. I have been having this problem for a few days with the non connect to Android auto and annoying pop up. Tried all the suggestions. Didn't work. Finally out of anger of the constant pop up every 30 seconds, I hit the USB hub very hard around 4 times with my fingers like you are tapping. This while I was driving. Specifically the usb connector areas. Stopped and plugged in my phone. Worked directly after doing this and no more pop up with Andriod Auto working again as well. Obviously a loose connection inside the hub. Glad this worked as it has saved me with the annoyance of going to the dealer and then waiting on the eventual part order and to go back. Worth a try because it's not like it works anyway and it's probably that USB hub that is bad. Btw, my truck is only six months old.

dmchugh24

Reaction score
I had this issue last year constantly. Took afew trips to the dealer w/ them resetting some stuff and thinking they fixed it. After about 3 trips to dealer they eventually replaced the USB Hub and i havent had an issue since.

Wilrob

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 2019 ram 1500 12 inch. I do not use whatsapp nothing is connected via usb but it still cycles on and off. Anyone find a fix yet?

dmchugh24

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 2019 ram 1500 12 inch. I do not use whatsapp nothing is connected via usb but it still cycles on and off. Anyone find a fix yet?

Same thing that was going on with mine for months. Your going to need a new media hub put in. Take it to the dealer so they can get a new one ordered for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilrob

Reaction score
Same thing that was going on with mine for months. Your going to need a new media hub put in. Take it to the dealer so they can get a new one ordered for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Gwgrind

Reaction score
This issue is driving me insane. Bought a top-of-the-line Ram 1500 Limited about 2 weeks ago and the issue started happening on Day 4 during a camping trip. Message pops up every 10 seconds - 3 minutes, and we have literally tried everything (factory resetting the phones, deleted devices from the vehicle and vice versa, OS updates, ensuring Uconnect is up-to-date etc). Brought it to the dealer twice this week - had to take it back the 2nd day because they said it was working fine, but it was doing the same thing. 'Tech guy' at the dealership said he connected his iPhone 11 Pro (same phone as mine) to it and used Apple Carplay for 30 minutes with no issues... yet I pick up the truck and sit in the parking lot and it happens within 2 minutes, and Carplay still doesn't work.

Finally insisted that they order a replacement USB hub based on the posts in these forums. So frustrating!
Ugh. Instead of typing everything genesi said- ditto for me. Have 2019 3500 limited in for a few recall items Today. Mentioned the car play not working as well as “device not supported screen msg. For me, every 3 secs. I can’t even use the truck nav display as this msg keeps taking over any display, whether it’s Sirius , disc etc. no phones connected either by wire or Bluetooth. The tech response to this issue “ checked with my phone , system it’s working fine” . No it is not. Heck, I can’t even get climate screen to stay on long enough. What a bunch of crap. Just want to vent as well as add my complaint to theirs here.

menkalos

Reaction score
Ugh. Instead of typing everything genesi said- ditto for me. Have 2019 3500 limited in for a few recall items Today. Mentioned the car play not working as well as “device not supported screen msg. For me, every 3 secs. I can’t even use the truck nav display as this msg keeps taking over any display, whether it’s Sirius , disc etc. no phones connected either by wire or Bluetooth. The tech response to this issue “ checked with my phone , system it’s working fine” . No it is not. Heck, I can’t even get climate screen to stay on long enough. What a bunch of crap. Just want to vent as well as add my complaint to theirs here.
I'm having this issue as well. Started right after I got it back from the dealer for an unrelated issue (passenger door no longer responded to touch to unlock). Driving me nuts because the whole system is pretty much unusable right now. At least the backup camera appears to have priority and isn't affected. I sure hope a fix is on the way.

pnh

Reaction score
Started getting the Device not supported pop up every 10 seconds last week. 2019 1500 Laramie with 12". It was doing this about 6 months ago for a few weeks then went away. Now its back worse than ever. Even happens with my phone powered down and not plugged in, so it seems unrelated to that. Clearly this is a systemic issue and FCA should issue a recall to correct this problem.

jimmyj

Reaction score
i have a similar issue. 12" display. anytime you connect a non supported device to the USB ports under the screen you get the Device Not Supported message. I can understand this. Example is when i plug in a headset to charge such as apple airpods. But the problem is you touch OK or X it out and it reappears every 30 seconds or so over and over and over. The only way to stop it i can find is to plug into the rear seat USB ports instead. Touching OK should clear the message and keep it from coming back until you unplug that device and plug something else in not supported. These are bugs in the software.

Users who are viewing this thread