5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Device not supported

alparmer

Reaction score
I guess it’s my turn to get the dreaded “device not supported”.
Is there a firmware update to fix this?
My dealer is clueless with a lot of stuff so I want to be prepared to give them a solution to the fix.

Korzmania

Reaction score
My truck started receiving this message about a month ago. Sometimes it pops on every 1-3 seconds after selecting "ok". It's very frustrating. Also, all 4 USBs do not work, thus Apple CarPlay not working. Has anyone been able to diagnose and fix this issue?

dmchugh24

Reaction score
My truck started receiving this message about a month ago. Sometimes it pops on every 1-3 seconds after selecting "ok". It's very frustrating. Also, all 4 USBs do not work, thus Apple CarPlay not working. Has anyone been able to diagnose and fix this issue?

Need a new media hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRFIECHTL

Reaction score
I am having the same issues "Device Not Supported" display popping up every 3 seconds after selecting 'OK" Took it to the dealership about a month ago and they said it needed an update. Worked for a while, now it is back, intermittently. Scheduled to take it in to the dealership and then it started working, so I cancelled the appointment. Next day, wouldn't you know it! Device not Supported AGAIN!!!

I chose to discontinue Sirius XM Guardian a year after purchase. Does this have anything to do with it? Sounds like others are finding the USB hub is defective.

Reaction score
2019 Longhorn 4 times to the dealer, escalated up to FCA, FCA says it's a known issue for all 12" displays. Software update to come out in March or April, that's their story and they are sticking to it.

alparmer

Reaction score
Well, I read the post on the guy that tapped on the USB hub CD area. I hit it with my fist on the bottom rubber part and it went away for now. This is the first time it has gone away in a month. I dread taking it to my dealer because even for an oil change they’ll screw something up. I do need to take it to get the replacement floor mat recall if I can find some time. So far, the error, hasn’t showed up in 30 minutes.

paulcakman

Reaction score
Had the same problem that just started a week ago. Got the same message no matter what I did with no "devices" connected every 3 to 5 minutes for 500 miles...

Turns out the culprit was Sirius XM!!!

Sirius XM is considered a device by your truck's computer...

They (Sirius)were tinkering with the system all week and finally issued a major update in the Google Play store for the App (bugs fixes and connectivity improvement) to include an OVER THE AIR (OTA) update as well which I just received.

Your truck will automatically install once it receives it OTA or you can do it manually by doing a signal refresh on your account.

Once received turn your truck off and restart. You will notice the system taking a little longer than usual to fire up and your Sirius station won't be on the same channel you left it on...

The "Device not supported" message disappeared immediately and havent seen it since!

Who knew?!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

untouchable365

Reaction score
i just had my radio replaced because my GPS died, the new one they put in is giving me the same error device not supported with nothing plugged in, i was told it was my center console lid that the wires are cut shorting it causing the radio to think something is plugged in.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
I had this last week. I was definitely a little mad. But went to figure how to update the radio. long story short I plugged my android in and when the android car play came up everything is working fine. Idk but that seem to fix all forms of devices playing. 🤔

untouchable365

Reaction score
I had this last week. I was definitely a little mad. But went to figure how to update the radio. long story short I plugged my android in and when the android car play came up everything is working fine. Idk but that seem to fix all forms of devices playing. 🤔
Its a very annoying issue i just paid for the radio $1620 and never had the issue and now i have an issue after radio replacement how i ironic....

paulcakman

Reaction score
My "Device not supported message" returned....
With nothing connected.
Currently at the dealer under warranty and they are still trying to figure out what the heck is going on.
Will update once its fixed.

untouchable365

Reaction score
They havent been able to diagnose mine either , replaced hub didnt work , replaced wire from radio to center console didnt work. same boat as you buddy

Techna

Reaction score
I think/hope that in my truck, it might be related to the media hub as some others have mentioned. The “Device Not Supported“ messages have stopped popping up and have been gone for a while now, but CarPlay does not work, and has not worked for months. In fact, the audio system does not recognize USB input of any type. A replacement hub was less than $50 and even though my truck is under warranty, the aggravation of having the dealer change it out wasn’t worth it. I bought a new one to try and if it works will keep my fingers crossed that it continues to do so and the messages don’t come back.

TexasDrew

Reaction score
I am having the same issues "Device Not Supported" display popping up every 3 seconds after selecting 'OK" Took it to the dealership about a month ago and they said it needed an update. Worked for a while, now it is back, intermittently. Scheduled to take it in to the dealership and then it started working, so I cancelled the appointment. Next day, wouldn't you know it! Device not Supported AGAIN!!!

I chose to discontinue Sirius XM Guardian a year after purchase. Does this have anything to do with it? Sounds like others are finding the USB hub is defective.
I have a 4th Gen, 2019 Ram Classic 1500, and also just discontinued my Sirius XM Guardian and that is when my phone began to show "Device not Supported" hmmm.

TexasDrew

Reaction score
Background: I have a Gen 4 Ram: 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and my issue was that Android Auto app quit working when plugged in via USB cable to the Truck, I would get the message:
- Connect a Device (after connecting Android Phone via USB) like I normally do I would receive this message:
- Device not Supported
So, I called Sirius XM Guardian and they had me reset my truck's "system" by doing the following procedure:
1. Park vehicle in safe location and turn it off completely: engine not running, dashboard lights off.
2. Close all doors.
3. Start ACC mode only; do NOT start engine.
4. If your vehicle is Keyless (no key) do the following: Without touching pedals, press Start button twice otherwise skip this step.
5. Simultaneously press and hold Phone and VR buttons for 30 seconds, then release.
6. Turn off ACC mode.
7. Open driver door for 30 seconds or until all dashboard indicators go off.
8. Close driver door.
9. Restart vehicle.
10. Test app.
I did the 9 steps above (#4 was Not Applicable) and the app started working with the truck. Also note, I could not Uninstall "Android Auto" app (it came with the phone) however, I did find a new app on Google Play called, "Android Auto for phone screens". Android Auto for phone screens appears to be the replacement for the old Android Auto (not sure) because Android Auto no longer appears on my phone except in the App Manager window where you can Force Stop and/or Disable it. It was not until I installed "Android Auto for phone screens" app that I could see it on my truck and it looked just like the old Android Auto app. Just wanted to contribute to the knowledge base so hope it helps. Also, Sirius XM Guardian says they had nothing to do with the problem however this all happened the day that my Sirius XM Guardian subscription was cancelled.

paulcakman

Reaction score
Update- After 3 months of trying to figure out why "Device Not supported" message appears every 3 minutes and Android Auto not recognized by usb port. And- dealership ordering a new replacement radio (scheduled to be installed monday) on my 2019 Ram Rebel Uconnect 12 inch....

I just got the Google update in the play store..
Version 12.12.9.23 arm64. For my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.....

EVERYTHING IS NOW WORKING!

Techna

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to pulling the center console and replacing the media hub after getting the “Device Not Supported” message again. This seems to have resolved the issue in my truck at least. It’s nice to have CarPlay back too.

dmchugh24

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to pulling the center console and replacing the media hub after getting the “Device Not Supported” message again. This seems to have resolved the issue in my truck at least. It’s nice to have CarPlay back too.
I had the dealer replace mine a few months back and have been good to go since. Was it difficult to replace the hub?

Techna

Reaction score
I had the dealer replace mine a few months back and have been good to go since. Was it difficult to replace the hub?
It’s actually pretty easy. The center console comes out with just some minor trim removal, removal of 6 fasteners, and a couple of harness plugs. Once out there are two long pieces of trim that snap off and then you remove a housing assembly for the CD player and media hub. The hub itself has 3 plugs for wiring and and it’s retained with clips only. This video covers the center console removal pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread