5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear people who keep their tow mirrors extended when not towing…

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well since you asked without reading, these people all said it had to do with the inability to drive with extended mirrors (in addition to it looking as stupid as a Carolina Squat truck):

@Mountain Whiskey in post #6
@BowersFJ In post #16 (by the way Bowers, not sure why you knock on guys sharing your same sentiment)
@jmt8706 In post #25
@Jeffjad In post #28
@wsutard1 In post #44

@Idahoktm Had the knowledge to point out that extending mirrors does not give a better view of anything when driving without something wide in tow. It only changes the angle.

@HSKR R/T pointed out that as others noted the mirrors don't stick out much, it's just a combination of lacking common sense and driving ability that force guys with Dumbo ears (my embellishment, not his words) to drive over the center of the road.

There, does that sum things up for you?

May have been a lil extra brown liquor involved last night, and the thread got a lil hard to follow …. I stand by 90% of what I said ….. I blame Evan for the other 10%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
May have been a lil extra brown liquor involved last night, and the thread got a lil hard to follow …. I stand by 90% of what I said ….. I blame Evan for the other 10%

Well, been there done that! Hence the moniker! 😁

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well since you asked without reading, these people all said it had to do with the inability to drive with extended mirrors (in addition to it looking as stupid as a Carolina Squat truck):

@Mountain Whiskey in post #6
@BowersFJ In post #16 (by the way Bowers, not sure why you knock on guys sharing your same sentiment😉)
@jmt8706 In post #25
@Jeffjad In post #28
@wsutard1 In post #44

@Idahoktm Had the knowledge to point out that extending mirrors does not give a better view of anything when driving without something wide in tow. It only changes the angle.

@HSKR R/T pointed out that as others noted the mirrors don't stick out much, it's just a combination of lacking common sense and driving ability that force guys with Dumbo ears (my embellishment, not his words) to drive over the center of the road.

There, does that sum things up for you?
That just about sums it up.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, been there done that! Hence the moniker!

deb5ca7d7797d830782cdfdb903fdeb7.jpg

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the tow mirrors on my truck and use them flipped up when towing our camper. But I don't like the look and fold them down for all other driving. That said, it may just be my being 5'7", but at intersections, the mirrors in normal position, block quite a bit of my view, notably to the left. I have to really pay attention that someone isn't in the crosswalk. Maybe its the same with the standard mirrors, but in those situations, I can see where I'd have better view of what's off to the side in front of me if they were in the Bullwinkle position.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
schmoes runnin wings wide with no trailer, are the same tw@t waffles
Omg, I lost $5 worth of whiskey sprayed out my nose, I will be laughing about 🧇 for days. Oh and my wife hates me now, because apparently it's not time to change to the spring bedding but now the winter smells like belvienie, and thats almost as bad as giggling about waffles.....lol who ever knew that blankets are seasonal? Maybe I need new mirrors 🤔

Dodgeramfan

Reaction score
I never know this was a thing (getting annoyed at how others position their mirrors). I'm extending mine today despite towing only once or twice a year. I will return it to the normal position when I get 10 honks, annoyed looks, or comments.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just remember. We are laughing at you. Not with you.

And don't forget the urban legend, just in case you see any fellas looking your way especially friendly..

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't like tow mirrors on a 1500, and purposely didn't get them. I pull my travel trailer just fine with standard mirrors. The little blind spot mirror is helpful on 90 degree corners, but takes a split second to get my mind to adjust to it, and not the big section. I also added an amazon camera to the back of the trailer though. That helps quite a bit.

On a 2500 and up, I totally would have tow mirrors, as the towing capacity would warrant it. I think it's stupid for people to drive with them out when not needed, but hey, free country right?

drew7811

Reaction score
And to take it one step further …. The same schmoes runnin wings wide with no trailer, are the same tw@t waffles that hug the center line so they don’t clip street signs with the right mirror, and wind up goin mirror to mirror with somebody comin the other way at 60 mph …. Happened to my bother in law …. Scares the sh!t out if you

I had exactly that happen on my previous Ram (2011 Laramie). Some jack@ss was hugging the centerline with big tow mirrors and smacked into my mirror. Thankfully, mine just popped inward with a few scratches on the housing. His however, completely shattered and was hanging. I know because I made a quick u-turn and got him to pull over. Since I didn't have major damage I let it go. Now I always cringe a bit when you are on those tight roads and I see those tow mirrors coming at me.

wsutard1

Reaction score
I don't like tow mirrors on a 1500, and purposely didn't get them. I pull my travel trailer just fine with standard mirrors. The little blind spot mirror is helpful on 90 degree corners, but takes a split second to get my mind to adjust to it, and not the big section. I also added an amazon camera to the back of the trailer though. That helps quite a bit.

On a 2500 and up, I totally would have tow mirrors, as the towing capacity would warrant it. I think it's stupid for people to drive with them out when not needed, but hey, free country right?
Wouldn’t be free if you tagged someone with your mirror.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, I’ve seen this topic multiple times. I personally could care less what other people do with their mirrors. I’ve never experienced the feeling that I was going to get clipped by someone who had them flipped out when not towing. That being said I think Ram makes the best looking trucks and has for a long time. But man do they look stupid with those tow mirrors flipped up. I’m shocked they have stuck with that design for so long. You would certainly think they could do better

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, I’ve seen this topic multiple times. I personally could care less what other people do with their mirrors. I’ve never experienced the feeling that I was going to get clipped by someone who had them flipped out when not towing. That being said I think Ram makes the best looking trucks and has for a long time. But man do they look stupid with those tow mirrors flipped up. I’m shocked they have stuck with that design for so long. You would certainly think they could do better
The design is a good design. One of the better ways to do it. They need to make them power flipping and auto adjusting between the two positions based on memory. No button pushing to adjust, just does it automatically

Users who are viewing this thread