5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer wants truck to "verify VIN"!?!

Reaction score
Any idea what's up with this?

I bought my truck from a dealer 200 miles away, and had one of the recalls handled at a local dealer. I just got a call from the selling dealer offering to drive down and pick up my truck and leave a loaner truck, and then return my truck after "verifying the vin".

Seems a little extreme, and I'm wondering whats going on with this.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea what's up with this?

I bought my truck from a dealer 200 miles away, and had one of the recalls handled at a local dealer. I just got a call from the selling dealer offering to drive down and pick up my truck and leave a loaner truck, and then return my truck after "verifying the vin".

Seems a little extreme, and I'm wondering whats going on with this.
Maybe they got vin #s/trucks mixed up. I wouldn't let your truck out of your sight til they explain. I would immediately check vin # on dash and make sure it matches vin # on stickers inside drivers door. Then verify the vin matches with all the purchase/lease documents you signed. Also, maybe there is an option like lojack they want to remove ??? You could text them a picture of mfgr vin # on dash (thru windshield) to satisfy their "verify the vin" reason. It could be that they are required to perform all recalls before a sold vehicle leaves lot and they didn't get it done and are covering their "tails" with the FCA mothership.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you give the guy who drives down to pick up your truck your social security number and your mother's maiden name. They'll need that too! Lol

I would definitely ask questions first and not release your truck. I agree with the simple solution of sending them a picture of the VIN that's all they need. If they claim they need to actually see it in person have the guy who drives down offering to make the switch read it over the phone to his boss at the dealership.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
I would think of an expensive item i REALLY really want and tell them if they give you the part installed for free you will drive your truck YOURSELF back there, because you don't want someone else driving your truck 400 miles round trip.... Maybe some power steps, or something equally pricey : ) And i DEF would want all the details UP FRONT of WHY and a "We Owe" in writing on the item y'all agree upon faxed/emailed to you before making the journey. .... Yup, that's me, always "negotiating"...lol

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Yeah sorry but no lol they can figure it out any other way but no one will drive my truck I don’t care if they bring a loaner for me or not.
As stated above it sound super shady

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just call the GSM this morning and get the explanation /reason for the request. Also check the temp registration they gave you to the VIN in your driveway.
If it's a reason that makes sense, I'd have no problem with them taking the truck. I'd just ask for a fully detailed truck when it returns and for them to fill it up upon arrival in my hometown. Lincoln dealers pick up vehicles from the owners home/work for maintenance all the time.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Been down this road before on my last car. Do not let them take ur truck no matter what!!! If they do take it that wud be stealing......

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have them pay your local dealer to perform whatever “inspection” they want and have the local dealer explain to you exactly what is being done. This is your vehicle now. Seems more logical to me for them to pay the local dealer a hundred or two rather than pay an employee to drive back and forth and to leave a loaner??? Why would they want to drive it back and forth 400 miles? That sounds moronic.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that brings up a question. If I purchase my truck from dealer A who is 100 miles away, but bring it in for warranty service at dealer B which is local to me, does A have to compensate B (local)? Or, does B just bill FCA since it is warranty work? Are all dealers obligated to perform warranty work on a vehicle regardless if they sold you the vehicle or not. It's a FCA warranty issue, so shouldn't any FCA dealer be able to perform it and not deny or charge. I have never had a problem with doing this with our Toyota or Chevy. Just wanted to ask though.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Makes ZERO difference where you buy your truck. ALL warranty work is billed directly to FCA and FCA could care less which dealer sold you your truck...selling dealers are totally out of the loop and have no responsibility. All FCA dealers must perform warranty work! No different than your Toyota or Chevy.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
@Lil Miss Always Wrong I like your thinking. Check out my new thread. I'd like like to get your thoughts on my situation.
Advice/Help: Truck on "Dealer Hold" 1 day away - How to get it released or comp.

ty! my only advice for when a dealer is holding the vehicle "hostage" for any reason would be IN PERSON communication... Honestly i have dealt with sooooo many dealers and they when they leave me no choice but to become , "the squeaky wheel that gets the oil".... i get oiled : )

Fornstar

Reaction score
I wouldnt do it! Nope Nope Nope! No one needs to take your truck to "verify" the VIN. That can be done over the phone. Sounds shady to me. They probably screwed something up at the time of sell and need to fix it so no one is the wiser. If this is an FCA issue, any dealer could do it

I like the idea of some free stuff, but would make the drive myself.

Kidder

Reaction score
Look at the sales documentation and compare it to your Vin like others have said. If they don't match... Oh, boy

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Like everyone said. CHECK ALL OF YOUR PAPERWORK TO MAKE SURE EVERY LETTER OF THE VIN MATCHES. Check the vin on the bill of sale too. Also enter your vin into the build sheet generator and verify that you have everything on there. You never know, it might work out in your favor. It could be a paperwork error on their end or someone swipped something off of your truck that they weren't supposed to. BUT ...if everything checks out, there is no way that truck should go back there and no way would I have someone come to me either. A pic of the vin should suffice. If you still think something is up call FCA directly.

RAM309702

Reaction score
To echo everyone else, don't do it! But please let us know why they want it, something smells fishy.

Users who are viewing this thread