5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer wants truck to "verify VIN"!?!

Reaction score
Latest update - I paid $10 to look up my vin in the federal database and all looked good. Also I called FCA and they said the recalls came out after the truck was purchased so that sorta blows the sold-truck-with-open-recalls theory. Fca also called the dealer on my behalf enquiring about the meaning of all this, leaving a message with them to call me.

alangsam

Reaction score
My daughter is a Vin verifier for a Chrysler-Ram dealership, according to her, there can be several reasons the Vin needs to be verified. First is the dealer must perform all recalls before delivery - if not, dealer gets fined - they may need to get it back in for those recall(s)...also they sometimes sell/deliver the wrong truck, or need to do other paper work if the truck was brought in from out-of-state. In any case, the verification process must be "hands on" not via internet, etc.
But...it can be done by any VIN verification entity, including private persons who are certified to do it (usually $50 fee), another dealer, or your local DMV.

You can get the form and the local police Dept or sherif will
Come to you home and do a vin verify for free. Just call the sheriffs office. I did this when I bought an out of state car the was delivered to me. They came in like 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This seems kinda strange and I wouldn't let them put 400 miles on my truck unless they paid me cash, services, goods, extended my warranty or a combination of two or more of these.

Rich

Reaction score
Latest update - I paid $10 to look up my vin in the federal database and all looked good. Also I called FCA and they said the recalls came out after the truck was purchased so that sorta blows the sold-truck-with-open-recalls theory. Fca also called the dealer on my behalf enquiring about the meaning of all this, leaving a message with them to call me.

Did you specifically ask them WHY they need to do this?

As them to tell you honestly why they need to do this, as it's a very odd request to do this after a sale and delivery is complete.

Also ask why they can't simply have someone physically visit you in person to verify the VIN, have them explain why it can't be done at your home, vs driving the vehicle.

Then when they give you a reason why it has to be done at the dealership, ask them why you need a rental truck? Have them explain why can't you simply stop by and have them peek in the windshield to verify the VIN which is plainly visible there.

If they can't honestly answer these questions, then simply say "No thank you, your request doesn't make any sense to me and I don't feel a need to verify my VIN with you with some sort of compensation for my time." If they do somehow convince you to do this, then tell them you don't want to let the vehicle out of your sight while they look at it to verify the VIN.

It seems youi're being entirely too nice with them without asking them the correct hard questions.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Sounds like a whole lot of their problem and not a whole lot your problem. I won’t let my gf drive the truck let alone some dude from 200 miles away

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been thinking a lot about this scenario... and my conclusion is to just ignore them. You have a legit sale and you are the registered owner, end of story. There is no mystery, there is nothing suspicious... just an asinine request from a shady dealer that you have absolutely no obligation to humor.

End of story.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score

Ok, enuf is enuf! Gimme that guy's number...lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
I haven't heard back from the dealership since I had FCA call them. I texted the sales guy and he couldn't provide any additional info.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea what's up with this?

I bought my truck from a dealer 200 miles away, and had one of the recalls handled at a local dealer. I just got a call from the selling dealer offering to drive down and pick up my truck and leave a loaner truck, and then return my truck after "verifying the vin".

Seems a little extreme, and I'm wondering whats going on with this.
One of the most bizarre requests I’ve ever heard. Absolutely no reason for it. They can have someone drive to you and check it if they want but no reason in the world to take the truck. Do not allow it. Something is very shaky.

Users who are viewing this thread