5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer wants truck to "verify VIN"!?!

Reaction score
I'd have figured the OP would have updated this thread by now. Plenty of time to contact the dealer GSM and get the full story. If you take the time to create the thread then take the time to update it.
I've been on a camping trip in the az desert. The truck did awesome by the way. Anyway I'll contact the dealer again shortly and will post an update, after I first check my VIN!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have figured the OP would have updated this thread by now. Plenty of time to contact the dealer GSM and get the full story. If you take the time to create the thread then take the time to update it.

Dealer need to verify his SSN and retinas as well. They sent someone to pick OP up this morning and he is awaiting processing in a dark room in the dealer's basement.

CMags

Reaction score
Legally they are not allowed to process a sale on a vehicle with an open recall. My guess is they forgot to do one of the quick power steering or brake pedal recalls and intend to do it under the guise of “verifying vin” so they can process the sale transaction

Reaction score
First, thanks to everyone who had replied. It's great to have some support when the dealers start playing their games.

I talked to the dealer today and heard the same spiel, they can only verify the vin at their dealership, yada yada, but they did ask about what recalls I had done, so the theory that they sold it with an open recall, is sounding plausible.

Im going to check with the DMV to see if the dealers insistence that the verification has to be done at their site is real thing.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First, thanks to everyone who had replied. It's great to have some support when the dealers start playing their games.

I talked to the dealer today and heard the same spiel, they can only verify the vin at their dealership, yada yada, but they did ask about what recalls I had done, so the theory that they sold it with an open recall, is sounding plausible.

Im going to check with the DMV to see if the dealers insistence that the verification has to be done at their site is real thing.

Still doesn’t make sense why they would have to verify at their dealership. They can send someone out to you, verify all the vins visually and if they need a dump if the computer, they can have the local dealer do that.

If I were you I would start searching the truck for the hidden cash and drugs :ROFLMAO:

Zinger

Reaction score

I would call FCA and see what they say. As others have stated, there is no rational reason why this can't be done with a simple picture of the vin plate. Nor is there any rational reason why a dealer would want to incur the cost to drive to you, give you a loaner, drive your truck back, pay somebody for all that time, and presumably reimburse you for the cost of mileage for 600 miles (at like $0.50/mile, no less) to do this. Something more is in play here.

Truckin

Reaction score

A few reasons come to mind...1, As others have said there were open recalls they should have addressed prior to sale. 2, Their paperwork is screwed up and your truck is/was sold to someone else. 3, There is something wrong/incomplete with the financing they need to correct. 4, The truck had been damaged, repaired and those repairs not disclosed.

Again, as others have stated-call FCA, but then make one more call to the dealer and demand they level with you. Sorry to sound like an alarmist but something is seriously amiss-hope it gets straightened out quickly!

Jeff270

Reaction score
Yep, I would call and ask to speak the the GM or someone equivalent. This definitely appears to be a case of "not getting the whole story". Ask politely, but firmly for the real story. If he gives you the run around, call FCA and let them know what is going. Something sounds fishy......

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still doesn’t make sense why they would have to verify at their dealership. They can send someone out to you, verify all the vins visually and if they need a dump if the computer, they can have the local dealer do that.

If I were you I would start searching the truck for the hidden cash and drugs :ROFLMAO:
Your truck could be El Chapo's drug mule from Tijuana .....Was Clint Eastwood driving? lol

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your paperwork match the vin numbers????????
No kidding! I mean, creepy/shady dealer... but seriously, if the OP would answer a few basic questions, the mystery would probably be solved already. Post your VIN, check all the paperwork and lets end this debacle already!

Reactions: Doc

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
.... Post your VIN, check all the paperwork and lets end this debacle already!

Yes!!! You have some nerve leaving right smack dab in the middle of this mystery to go camp...lol

Seriously, tho, you're a better & more patient man than me, (if i were a man...lol) I'd of had all the answers i needed within 5 minutes of him asking to take my truck back to his dealership....one thing about me, i ask the questions, question the answers, and then ask MORE questions...oh wait, all women do that, don't they?! lol

Reaction score
Does your paperwork match the vin numbers????????
Yes, all the vins match. The completed registration card from the DMV, receipt from dealer, financing agreement, monroni sticker, and vin plaque on the drivers side dash board.

This whole "verify the vin" thing seems like a ruse, but for what I don't know.

Reaction score
Yes!!! You have some nerve leaving right smack dab in the middle of this mystery to go camp...lol

Seriously, tho, you're a better & more patient man than me, (if i were a man...lol) I'd of had all the answers i needed within 5 minutes of him asking to take my truck back to his dealership....one thing about me, i ask the questions, question the answers, and then ask MORE questions...oh wait, all women do that, don't they?! lol

I played dumb agreeing to nothing, and once I had internet access posted the question here. It's been quite a help actually hearing what everyone has to say. I'm tempted to ask them to submit their request to me in writing...

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I played dumb agreeing to nothing, and once I had internet access posted the question here. It's been quite a help actually hearing what everyone has to say. I'm tempted to ask them to submit their request to me in writing...
Now you're thinking! That's an excellent idea, gives an impression you're playing along but not giving an inch. Also might force them to come clean about why they want the vehicle and not just visual confirmation. It's obvious they're in hot water, or they wouldn't need the truck.

Camping comes first, couldn't agree more! You do you and we'll keep the popcorn fresh!

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Take it to a different dealer to verify that any open recall work has been done. Then, would tell the other dealer that under no uncertain terms would they get the car back for any reason. Sending them photos of all of your paperwork would be the most I would do. ...and definitely contact FCA

kawagumby

Reaction score
My daughter is a Vin verifier for a Chrysler-Ram dealership, according to her, there can be several reasons the Vin needs to be verified. First is the dealer must perform all recalls before delivery - if not, dealer gets fined - they may need to get it back in for those recall(s)...also they sometimes sell/deliver the wrong truck, or need to do other paper work if the truck was brought in from out-of-state. In any case, the verification process must be "hands on" not via internet, etc.
But...it can be done by any VIN verification entity, including private persons who are certified to do it (usually $50 fee), another dealer, or your local DMV.

Users who are viewing this thread