5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

RAM Archer

Reaction score
To keep from having a dead battery I decided to install an auxiliary battery in my truck.

The REDARC Smart Start® SBI12 microprocessor-controlled battery isolator, which protects the start battery from excessive discharge, while allowing the auxiliary battery to supply charge to non-essential loads.

It uses a solenoid that provides 12V DC to the secondary battery, when the Starter battery has over 13.7 Volts.

When the voltage of the starter battery falls below 13.7 V it disconnects the two batteries and isolates the second battery from the starter battery so that the starter battery remains full, while you can run your accessories off the auxiliary battery without worries.

Here is some pics of the install:
REDARC_Installed_Top_View.png

REDARC_SBI12_Box.png

REDARC_SBI12.png

REDARC_SBI12_Kit.png

REDARC_Installed_Block.png
What specs is the new Aux battery? About how much did the whole setup cost? Thanks!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What specs is the new Aux battery? About how much did the whole setup cost? Thanks!
I used the same battery as the starter battery that came with the truck so that the charging profile would be the same.

These were the prices when I purchased over a year ago.

Here is the parts list:
EDARC Smart Start Battery Isolator & Wiring Kit 12VPart # SBI12KIT$221.97
Bolt-Hex Flange HeadPart # CH6104378AA$1.35
Bracket - BatteryPart # CH68082538AB$3.45
Insulated Battery ShieldPart # CH56029822AD$30.25
Battery TrayPart # CH68350658AC$70.75
12V 750AMP Flooded BatteryPart# CHBBH7F001AA$160.50
Total$491.72

bruin12

Reaction score
I have had my 2021 1500 5.7 eTorque for two weeks; it has less than 500 miles. Drove fine last night. This afternoon I got in it and noticed it the fob would not work and the truck would not start. As I sat in the driver's seat, I noticed the gauge needles were flickering slightly. A chime started going every second or two. A short while later everything was dead. Couldn't jump it, either.

Last edited:

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just doing some nightly searching before I go to bed. Do you think that the stock battery size and output on the stock battery is just not good?

Biggest reason why I’m also posting is because over at some other forums like the Jeep ones, same issues with newer batteries suck on the Jeep’s. Etorque or not, it drains the battery (get this, Jeep’s have a second smaller battery under the passenger front fender) and that seems to be dying as well.

Do you think, aftermarket is the way to go, recharging the battery, or is actually some kind of big battery issue and the parasitic Drain they take when you turn off the engine?

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To keep from having a dead battery I decided to install an auxiliary battery in my truck.

The REDARC Smart Start® SBI12 microprocessor-controlled battery isolator, which protects the start battery from excessive discharge, while allowing the auxiliary battery to supply charge to non-essential loads.

It uses a solenoid that provides 12V DC to the secondary battery, when the Starter battery has over 13.7 Volts.

When the voltage of the starter battery falls below 13.7 V it disconnects the two batteries and isolates the second battery from the starter battery so that the starter battery remains full, while you can run your accessories off the auxiliary battery without worries.

Here is some pics of the install:
REDARC_Installed_Top_View.png

REDARC_SBI12_Box.png

REDARC_SBI12.png

REDARC_SBI12_Kit.png

REDARC_Installed_Block.png
🤩😍😍👍❗

Chaddyb1

Reaction score
First post here. I have a 21 ram 3500 CTD, so two batteries. 2500 miles. Last weekend I was camping 250 miles from my house, in northern MN. Mornings are starting to be cool around here. Went to start, it did the diesel pre-heat, then nothing just a click. Re tried multiple times. Called roadside, they jumped it, I drove it home. Re started when I got home (roughly 4 hours driving) this morning I got an appointment at my local dealer. I brought it in, told them the deal. They tried multiple times to start it, started every time. They told me no issue. I asked if they load tested the batteries., they told me yes, I suspected they did not. I drove over to autozone, they tested them, one bad battery. Drove to orielly next, same battery came up bad. I guess I’m calling a different dealer tomorrow.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Daughter-in-Law called this morning as my Son was at work at a meeting. Her 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie eTorque (6500 miles) was dead, battery dead, would not take a charge so called Ram Roadside Assistance. They sent a tow truck over who had to keep his jump box hooked to the truck just to keep it running to get it in neutral to get into the flatbed. It’s at the dealership now for diagnosis.

jrodgerslvnv

Reaction score
Interested if this is going to be common. I just returned from a 3 day trip and my battery was dead. It is 3 years old, but charged ok overnight, and load tested ok at Autozone. Not sure what drained the battery while I was gone. And I don't know if others have experienced the same thing, but when I tried to start it, there was a pop, and then I swear, there was a heartbeat sound through the speakers.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interested if this is going to be common. I just returned from a 3 day trip and my battery was dead. It is 3 years old, but charged ok overnight, and load tested ok at Autozone. Not sure what drained the battery while I was gone. And I don't know if others have experienced the same thing, but when I tried to start it, there was a pop, and then I swear, there was a heartbeat sound through the speakers.
It's ALIVE!!!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Daughter-in-Law got her Ram back tonight. She has owned this 2020 1500 Laramie eTorque Hemi for 387 days and it has 6719 miles on it. The factory battery had a bad cell and the dealer replaced it. Back on the road after great service from Finnegan CJDR of Rosenberg, TX.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
there is a post about the trucks doing a software update even when the truck is not running.

this could very well be why peoples battery is losing a charge

something to look into.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how many of these dead battery trucks have the 8.4” screen versus the 12”. I’ve never had an issue with my 8.4” trucks (2019, 2020 and 2021) but her 2021 12” truck did.

FL Laramie

Reaction score
2019 with 54k miles. Loaded up the truck to go fishing last Saturday and heard one little crank of the starter. Then nothing. Jumped it with one of those boosters. Worked fine until today, 2 days after initial no start. Jumped it off of the booster again with no issues. Picking up a battery this afternoon.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 with 54k miles. Went out to go fishing last Saturday and heard one little crank of the starter. Then nothing. Jumped it with one of those boosters. Worked fine until today, 2 days after initial no start. Jumped it off of the booster again with no issues. Picking up a battery this afternoon.
Just remember to get an AGM H8.

LuvGun

Reaction score
My 2020 1500 , 25 months old was completely dead, no sign of life at all. Wouldn't jump or take a charge. Replaced with a Duralast Gold, think I should have went with the Platinum AGM after reading some of the posts.

smashweights

Reaction score
Mine just died this weekend. 2019, 29k miles. Those of you who bought your own battery and are still in the 3/36 basic warranty, call Stellantis basic warranty folks. They reimbursed me for full value $309 for an Optima Yellow Top I bought at Advance Auto parts when mine died late on a Saturday evening.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine just died this weekend. 2019, 29k miles. Those of you who bought your own battery and are still in the 3/36 basic warranty, call Stellantis basic warranty folks. They reimbursed me for full value $309 for an Optima Yellow Top I bought at Advance Auto parts when mine died late on a Saturday evening.
will do (y)

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dang wish I would’ve known this 10 months ago. I bought mine then the dealer told me I would have to have it installed in the truck to get them to replace it so I just ate the charge myself and kept my H8 AGM battery

Users who are viewing this thread