5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since some of our forum members are reporting issues with dead batteries.

Let's see if we can narrow down which truck configurations are reporting the most issues:

If you have had a dead battery in your truck since purchasing a 2019-2021 RAM Truck.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't remember exactly, but at around 15000 miles, dead as a fritter. Not all the fault of the battery/truck though. I switched the fuse for constant power to the top of dash 12 volt power and left the dash-cam plugged in without driving very often. So now I have it plugged into the USB port, and it only comes on when the truck is in operation.

mikerbahn

Reaction score
Dead battery today. 2019 Rebel, 8700 miles on the truck. Took me awhile to get her started while jumping it with my wife’s Yukon XL (I mention her vehicle only as a point of reference that it was being jumped with a hefty battery).
Truck has only been sitting a couple of days. No aux power drain. Guess the battery just gave up.

Of course I now do not have XM radio, my backup camera is completely missing, etc. Hoping a few driving cycles with the new battery installed will bring everything back.

Oh: and I did not take it to the dealership for warranty. So time consuming to even get in there, and just not worth the $180 to me.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine died on me yesterday. 2019 with 28k miles. Drove to Costco about 4 miles away, came out about an hour later and loaded the truck and no luck on starting afterward. Jumped right off with my wife’s rx350 but the battery definitely wasn’t holding charge right as by noon today my alarm alerted me that the battery was at 10.17 volts... I replaced it with an H8 AGM battery with 900 CCA instead of the 730 H7 that was in it.

Jako

Reaction score
Vehicle would not come out of first gear but returned to normal after sitting (tried shut off and restart without success) for an hour or so. Battery replaced by dealership, 21,000+ and a little over 2 years. Also did a TCM flash/update. All good so far.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This happened 3 days ago - didn't drive my March 2020 Limited eTorque just a few days, and was working on some speaker upgrades/testing. Had the truck in ACC for about 2 hours total and the battery went dead in the middle of listening to music through a few speakers. Read 7.8 volts on the multimeter, wouldn't start the truck (figured eTorque would save me, but nope). Couldn't jump, but I had time, so charged the battery back up to full in about 4 hours. Temps were a bit cold, maybe played a factor (40 degrees or so in garage). No issues since, but never would've thought 2 hours of ACC time would kill the battery.

Jako

Reaction score
This happened 3 days ago - didn't drive my March 2020 Limited eTorque just a few days, and was working on some speaker upgrades/testing. Had the truck in ACC for about 2 hours total and the battery went dead in the middle of listening to music through a few speakers. Read 7.8 volts on the multimeter, wouldn't start the truck (figured eTorque would save me, but nope). Couldn't jump, but I had time, so charged the battery back up to full in about 4 hours. Temps were a bit cold, maybe played a factor (40 degrees or so in garage). No issues since, but never would've thought 2 hours of ACC time would kill the battery.
I had some issues, battery took a charge and vehicle started, BUT it was replaced by dealership after a test. I don't know the particulars of the dealership's battery test other than the service ticket. Perhaps your battery should be further tested to insure it's reliability.
see post #25

Jako

Reaction score
Similar issues with my truck documented here, haven't had it looked at yet: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/service-4wd-electronic-stability-control.24740/post-383221

Thanks @Jako for pointing me to this thread.
Wish you the best of luck, keep us posted.
"Service" is tough, timeline was 2-3 weeks for me and then I had issues with the tach and speedometer going up and down along with PRND lights blinking while off. I had to disconnect the battery and put it on charge as it would not start. After charging I went out for a half hour ride and things came back. That happened on Sunday and fortunately my appointment (that was made I think 3 weeks earlier) was Tuesday. As per my previous posts battery replaced and TCM flashed/updated/?

coolhandluchs

Reaction score
Update & some history:
Back in June or July, when I had the topper put on, they installed a 12V outlet fixture, which is wired into the taillight, so it's always on. It's not a lot of draw, but it's there, and they told me about it when I picked up the truck. Before my issues, I hadn't been driving much, cuz, well, everything was pretty much closed. After I posted my issues and got the truck running again, I drove it a bit and unplugged the DC outlet in the topper.

Long story short (too late), I haven't had the issue since. Remote start has worked perfectly, and no issues with stability control / stuck in first gear.

I'm thinking that when the battery gets low, in this case from parasitic draw, the electrical system goes haywire. It's ridiculous that a healthy-but-low-battery completely disables the vehicle, but, if you're having these issues, try charging the battery before losing your mind.

JeffEastcoast

Reaction score
Since some of our forum members are reporting issues with dead batteries.

Let's see if we can narrow down which truck configurations are reporting the most issues:

If you have had a dead battery in your truck since purchasing a 2019-2021 RAM Truck.
Yup.. I've joined the club with only 302 miles on my new 2020 2500 Laramie. Dead battery (3 volts), jumped, ran with charging voltage showing at 14.5 - 15.0 volts while running for 45 minutes. Returned home and went to back into my driveway, switched it to reverse, and no cameras... the option didn't even show up on my 12" UConnect.

Measured battery voltage once off and showed 11.8 volts.

Left everything overnight. Today, back to 3 volts. Into the shop tomorrow.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Limited with eTorque totally dead at 9 months and 3k miles. Had to be jumped off the tow truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you talking about the main 12v battery and not the 48v etorque battery in this thread?

JeffEastcoast

Reaction score
Yup.. I've joined the club with only 302 miles on my new 2020 2500 Laramie. Dead battery (3 volts), jumped, ran with charging voltage showing at 14.5 - 15.0 volts while running for 45 minutes. Returned home and went to back into my driveway, switched it to reverse, and no cameras... the option didn't even show up on my 12" UConnect.

Measured battery voltage once off and showed 11.8 volts.

Left everything overnight. Today, back to 3 volts. Into the shop tomorrow.
Following up after dealer service.

It appears that the rear camera malfunctioned and it was thought that it was a constant load on the battery. They replaced the camera (not the battery to my dismay) and that seems to have resolved the issue (for now).

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
Wow,I haven't had any issues with my 2020 Hemi 5.7 in regards to dead battery. I'm in NY, and brought her from a NY dealer,so I should have a AGM battery,no? Battery is better in wider range of outside temperatures,no? Definitely not my expertise!

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
Also,just in case and since be4 owning this truck, I always carry with me one of those jump starter packs! Just got a new one by Tacklife on Amazon, had excellent reviews. It's the King Power KP200. 12v and 2000A. Can also charge cell phone,etc. I have used it on work patrol truck,a pos Chevy Silverado 2500hd with 5.3. Works great!

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also,just in case and since be4 owning this truck, I always carry with me one of those jump starter packs! Just got a new one by Tacklife on Amazon, had excellent reviews. It's the King Power KP200. 12v and 2000A. Can also charge cell phone,etc. I have used it on work patrol truck,a pos Chevy Silverado 2500hd with 5.3. Works great!
I have one, and my truck was so dead it did not work and neither did the booster pack from roadside assistance. We eventually jumped it directly off his truck and even that took a few tries

2020RAMLTD5.7

Reaction score
I have one, and my truck was so dead it did not work and neither did the booster pack from roadside assistance. We eventually jumped it directly off his truck and even that took a few tries
No ****!? Any warning signs prior?

Users who are viewing this thread