5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

smashweights

Reaction score

Dang wish I would’ve known this 10 months ago. I bought mine then the dealer told me I would have to have it installed in the truck to get them to replace it so I just ate the charge myself and kept my H8 AGM battery
You might still be able to. I never talked to my dealership, only called the Stellantis warranty line. They asked why I didn't take it to the dealership and I told them it was after hours on a Saturday and it would have to be towed and wouldn't be seen until Monday when they opened. Surprised they didn't need me to verify my mileage at all... Just was told check in the mail today, so we'll see if it is real or not

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you checked your battery voltage on the dash? Mine is showing <12V while running with the new battery. eTorque engine.
That is low, equates to a battery charge level of app. 40% when not charging. Just checked my truck while idling, 14.1 volts (seen it down to 13 something when battery fully charged) my Fluke 87 IV says 14.12 VDC, none e-torque here, should not make a difference.

smashweights

Reaction score
That is low, equates to a battery charge level of app. 40% when not charging. Just checked my truck while idling, 14.1 volts (seen it down to 13 something when battery fully charged) my Fluke 87 IV says 14.12 VDC, none e-torque here, should not make a difference.
Yeah I don't think it's charging at all, taking it to the dealer Friday

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
@RamCares 2021 Laramie hemi etorque built 7/21, with a battery date of 2/21. ~2,500 miles. 12” screen if that matters with the H/K stereo.

Did a couple hour drive on 10/16. Truck sat from 10/18 to 10/23, took a 2 mile trip, then sat until 10/27. Electronics came on, loud pop from the speakers like a fuse was blowing, several spark sounds under the hood. Tried it a few times, then everything went dead. Brought just the battery to Ziegler in Schaumburg. They ran a quick test, but said they couldn’t check it until it was charged. Then said I would need to have the truck towed in for them to investigate further. They wouldn’t arrange for a tow, I would have to call roadside assistance or another company they gave me. The attitude felt like they couldn’t have cared less that my new truck was dead already and didn’t offer to charge it for me.

I did get it charged at the local O’Reilly, but haven’t driven the truck yet. Electronics did come back on, but I didn’t start it since I wasn’t going to drive it right then.

Given the need for the thread and all of the comments here and the Facebook group, sounds like I need to buy an aftermarket AGM battery to have it operate properly. Such a waste and a shame.

1c30b66e7226ae55a219d51567df3a86.jpg

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
@RamCares 2021 Laramie hemi etorque built 7/21, with a battery date of 2/21. ~2,500 miles. 12” screen if that matters with the H/K stereo.

Did a couple hour drive on 10/16. Truck sat from 10/18 to 10/23, took a 2 mile trip, then sat until 10/27. Electronics came on, loud pop from the speakers like a fuse was blowing, several spark sounds under the hood. Tried it a few times, then everything went dead. Brought just the battery to Ziegler in Schaumburg. They ran a quick test, but said they couldn’t check it until it was charged. Then said I would need to have the truck towed in for them to investigate further. They wouldn’t arrange for a tow, I would have to call roadside assistance or another company they gave me. The attitude felt like they couldn’t have cared less that my new truck was dead already and didn’t offer to charge it for me.

I did get it charged at the local O’Reilly, but haven’t driven the truck yet. Electronics did come back on, but I didn’t start it since I wasn’t going to drive it right then.

Given the need for the thread and all of the comments here and the Facebook group, sounds like I need to buy an aftermarket AGM battery to have it operate properly. Such a waste and a shame.

1c30b66e7226ae55a219d51567df3a86.jpg
that is a small battery

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I picked both lead acid and AGM in the list. My stock battery was replaced by an Odyssey H7 AGM and that died on me yesterday (roughly 9 months). I'll be joining the H8 club shortly and if that dies on me in an unreasonable time I'll be joining a different truck club!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked both lead acid and AGM in the list. My stock battery was replaced by an Odyssey H7 AGM and that died on me yesterday (roughly 9 months). I'll be joining the H8 club shortly and if that dies on me in an unreasonable time I'll be joining a different truck club!
if you look above you will see a pic of my battery and a volt meter.did you take a reading when its on "Load" 🤔 that why you can see if its the alternator.if you look above again you will see what my voltage reading while its "UnderLoad".we all here made sure when we upgraded that not only it would be a "AGM"but the next size bigger..H8.but we are following when you do (y) ;)

HydroRebel

Reaction score
if you look above you will see a pic of my battery and a volt meter.did you take a reading when its on "Load" 🤔 that why you can see if its the alternator.if you look above again you will see what my voltage reading while its "UnderLoad".we all here made sure when we upgraded that not only it would be a "AGM"but the next size bigger..H8.but we are following when you do (y) ;)
Yes I've done so many tests during the last year with both the stock battery and the Odyssey H7 that I bought. First off, I kept my stock battery around and it's still fine when I thought it was the issue. That didn't bother me though as I was quite willing to replace it with an AGM battery. I actually put 2 different meters on the battery terminals on several occasions and compared it to the readings on the instrument cluster and can confirm that the cluster is accurate. What I also found was inconsistency on the alternator voltage. I've seen it as high as 14.8V and as low as 14. 2V which I thought was rather odd. That includes both long and short commutes. One day it would go to 14.4V for example and the next day it could goto 14.6V it was all over the place. I also measured the battery current while the truck was off with both a clamp on meter and a multi-meter (first time was to test the accuracy of the clamp meter). What I found was the truck has a mind of its own. The short version: sometimes the current dropped in the 20-50mA range right away and sometimes it remained over 500mA for over an hour. It was so random that I just gave up!

In all honesty, based on what I observed with my truck so far, I expect it to eventually drain a H8 battery as well I just expect it to take longer to do so. Time will tell. I plan on buying and installing the H8 on Friday this week so I appreciate your pic above showing it installed. And don't worry, if I have any issues in the future with the H8 I will post about it! I should also mention that I have every option possible disabled that uses power when the truck is off (e.g. headlights for 30sec, cargo lamp, etc). Another thing I will mention I came across a thread awhile ago on another forum and the guy was having a very similar issue and his parasitic draw numbers were similar to mine. Someone found his issue and it was with the trailer plug module because he had some adapter plugged into it that prevented the module from sleeping. I do have a Curt trailer harness adapter installed on my truck that I use for my tailgate light bar. I haven't tested it yet because I'm doubtful that's my issue but that would be very easy to check by pulling the fuse with the meter on. Who knows maybe I'll check that this weekend. Sorry for the long post but the more info we get out there on battery draining issues the better!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I've done so many tests during the last year with both the stock battery and the Odyssey H7 that I bought. First off, I kept my stock battery around and it's still fine when I thought it was the issue. That didn't bother me though as I was quite willing to replace it with an AGM battery. I actually put 2 different meters on the battery terminals on several occasions and compared it to the readings on the instrument cluster and can confirm that the cluster is accurate. What I also found was inconsistency on the alternator voltage. I've seen it as high as 14.8V and as low as 14. 2V which I thought was rather odd. That includes both long and short commutes. One day it would go to 14.4V for example and the next day it could goto 14.6V it was all over the place. I also measured the battery current while the truck was off with both a clamp on meter and a multi-meter (first time was to test the accuracy of the clamp meter). What I found was the truck has a mind of its own. The short version: sometimes the current dropped in the 20-50mA range right away and sometimes it remained over 500mA for over an hour. It was so random that I just gave up!

In all honesty, based on what I observed with my truck so far, I expect it to eventually drain a H8 battery as well I just expect it to take longer to do so. Time will tell. I plan on buying and installing the H8 on Friday this week so I appreciate your pic above showing it installed. And don't worry, if I have any issues in the future with the H8 I will post about it! I should also mention that I have every option possible disabled that uses power when the truck is off (e.g. headlights for 30sec, cargo lamp, etc). Another thing I will mention I came across a thread awhile ago on another forum and the guy was having a very similar issue and his parasitic draw numbers were similar to mine. Someone found his issue and it was with the trailer plug module because he had some adapter plugged into it that prevented the module from sleeping. I do have a Curt trailer harness adapter installed on my truck that I use for my tailgate light bar. I haven't tested it yet because I'm doubtful that's my issue but that would be very easy to check by pulling the fuse with the meter on. Who knows maybe I'll check that this weekend. Sorry for the long post but the more info we get out there on battery draining issues the better!
hey brother i know what you mean.i am presently using that"Curt trailer"harness for my lightbar under the tailgate("LOF")and running a 800watt amp.but still able to maintain my voltage.maybe the H8 might work.i mean what do you got to loose now.got to try another battery anyway.no you letter was not to long.(y)at least now we have a better understanding of what is going on now (y) ....P.s look at all the junk i got going on in my truck(Lights,amp,etc)😆:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 103_1614_In.jpg
    103_1614_In.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201213_145511_InPixio.jpg
    20201213_145511_InPixio.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211011_194845_InPixio.jpg
    20211011_194845_InPixio.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210512_131835.jpg
    20210512_131835.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 23

HydroRebel

Reaction score
hey brother i know what you mean.i am presently using that"Curt trailer"harness for my lightbar under the tailgate("LOF")and running a 800watt amp.but still able to maintain my voltage.maybe the H8 might work.i mean what do you got to loose now.got to try another battery anyway.no you letter was not to long.(y)at least now we have a better understanding of what is going on now (y) ....P.s look at all the junk i got going on in my truck(Lights,amp,etc)😆:ROFLMAO:
Haha yeah you're definitely worse than me!

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
If you have replaced with an Odyssey 94R H7 and still have issues, a larger battery won’t solve this problem imho. Odyssey batteries are top of the line. In July I replaced the 9 year old Odyssey 34/78 1500DT in my drag car that is very close to the same specs as a 94R H7. This cranks a 14-1 SBC and uses an alternator for charging. I never charge it. Not even during the winter when it’s sitting in the car for 4-5 months. I gave the 9 yr old Odyssey battery to a friend that put it in his old chevy pickup. Still works.

A good battery charger should be able to bring that H7 Odyssey back to proper working voltage. You’re throwing your money away replacing with an H8 imo.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..and on goes this never ending saga of "the dreaded 5th gen dead battery" ordeal

HydroRebel

Reaction score
If you have replaced with an Odyssey 94R H7 and still have issues, a larger battery won’t solve this problem imho. Odyssey batteries are top of the line. In July I replaced the 9 year old Odyssey 34/78 1500DT in my drag car that is very close to the same specs as a 94R H7. This cranks a 14-1 SBC and uses an alternator for charging. I never charge it. Not even during the winter when it’s sitting in the car for 4-5 months. I gave the 9 yr old Odyssey battery to a friend that put it in his old chevy pickup. Still works.

A good battery charger should be able to bring that H7 Odyssey back to proper working voltage. You’re throwing your money away replacing with an H8 imo.
I have a CTEK battery charger and put it on the Odyssey when I got home that day and left it on the entire night. Drove to work the following morning and when I arrived I thought about putting the charger on during my shift (I work 12 hour shifts) but I decided not to and see what happens. After my shift I remote started the truck when I was about 20ft away from it (so I could hear it good) and it fired right up without issue, meaning the Odyssey is still ok. The day in question was the first time the truck wouldn't start and I had to boost it. Prior to that the issue was strictly with remote starting where the battery voltage wasn't high enough to remote start but the truck would fire up manually no problem.

There's a random (intermittent) parasitic drain going on here and it's quite annoying. I don't disagree with your statement regarding going up to a H8 battery at all, I mentioned that in my above post it's more of a band-aid and not going to prevent the parasitic drain from happening. However, due to the larger reserve capacity of a H8 battery vs a H7 it might be enough to prevent the issue from reoccurring. I also have no faith in my dealer to figure out this issue. I found more information from other threads stating that sometimes some of the modules in our trucks don't go to "sleep" when they should all the time. That kinda does line up to what I was seeing with my meter. My Odyssey battery won't be wasted it will be going in my wife's van if I decide to get a H8. I'm still on the fence but I need my truck to be reliable and right now it's not!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread